Notices

Day two, need some help

Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day two, need some help

This a day two for me and I could do with some inspiration. I feel so down today. I feel really twisted inside. I realise it's early days and that it's probably different for everyone but wonder when I might get some energy back? I have suffered from fatigue for about 5 years now. I've have only just accepted the fact that the reason is more than likely be alcohol related. Talk about denial! I've pain in the left side of my stomach but I'm too much of a coward to visit the doctor at the moment. What a miserable existence this is. :-( I'm scared because I feel I am already slipping. I've gone from thinking, I will never ever drink again to if I could just go six months. I don't know what to do really. I'm not up for a meeting, I just can not face it right now. This is all there is for me at the moment. I've been drinking excessively since 2003.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take it slow and just live in the moment. Rest, eat well, and think about seeing your doctor if you have real worries. You may find you get support and reassurance after seeing the doctor, or at least care for any issues needing attention.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. I'm with Rochele, see your doctor.

You didn't get into this shape in one day, you won't get better in a day. But if you remain sober you will be surprised how much better you will feel in the coming weeks and months.

Stay close to SR and stay strong.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's just early days my friend, it will take a while for your energy to come back but just hang in there and it gets better and better. The feeling will pass in time
Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(Oh and it is always better if you can see a doctor, makes you feel a lot more reassured, remember that being sober is the right thing to do, you've made the right descision)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Funtimefranky View Post
This a day two for me and I could do with some inspiration. I feel so down today. I feel really twisted inside. I realise it's early days and that it's probably different for everyone but wonder when I might get some energy back? I have suffered from fatigue for about 5 years now. I've have only just accepted the fact that the reason is more than likely be alcohol related. Talk about denial! I've pain in the left side of my stomach but I'm too much of a coward to visit the doctor at the moment. What a miserable existence this is. :-( I'm scared because I feel I am already slipping. I've gone from thinking, I will never ever drink again to if I could just go six months. I don't know what to do really. I'm not up for a meeting, I just can not face it right now. This is all there is for me at the moment. I've been drinking excessively since 2003.
The first several days after you quit drinking are very tough and part of the "acute withdrawal" phase where your body physically adjust to not having alcohol, and the symptoms vary greatly. Sometimes they can be dangerous, so most advise to see a doctor to be safe.

If you have been feeling this way for years, and having pain the only option you really have is to see a doctor. "assuming it's alcohol related" is a pretty big assumption. Is it a gamble you really want to take?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies guys. I had huge cry 5 mins ago and it's helped a little. I know I can't put this off any longer and hope it's not too late for me with regards to irreversible damage. I can't believe the denial I've been in, it's absurd. I've not too much to do over the next few days which is good I suppose. Not up for much but I am trying to read some stories here for inspiration. I will do this! Thanks again x
Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your body is an amazing machine. It can heal from a lot. I mean a LOT.

Stay in the moment, don't future trip over tomorrow.

Crying is good - get it out. Eat and sleep, have some ice cream, watch a movie. Treat yourself like you're recovering from the flu.

Welcome to the forums. We're glad you're here.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fun, be safe be sober. You are great! I might go see my dr though. It may make you feel better. Blessings
Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
The first several days after you quit drinking are very tough and part of the "acute withdrawal" phase where your body physically adjust to not having alcohol, and the symptoms vary greatly. Sometimes they can be dangerous, so most advise to see a doctor to be safe.

If you have been feeling this way for years, and having pain the only option you really have is to see a doctor. "assuming it's alcohol related" is a pretty big assumption. Is it a gamble you really want to take?
I know you are right. I know I need to book the appointment but I'm absolutely crapping it! I keep thinking see if things calm down after a week of no drinking and then make a decision. There's also the fact that I saw my doctor years ago about drinking...I went on Disulfirum for a month back then and took myself of it. My doc thinks I only drink occasionally now. I know I have to own up.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Your body is an amazing machine. It can heal from a lot. I mean a LOT.

Stay in the moment, don't future trip over tomorrow.

Crying is good - get it out. Eat and sleep, have some ice cream, watch a movie. Treat yourself like you're recovering from the flu.

Welcome to the forums. We're glad you're here.
Thanks Biminiblue, sure hope you are right. I've googled loads today and seen a fair share of horror stories from people with problems less intense than mine has been. It's helped wake me up but also shaken me, ugh! Trying to stay positive.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey FuntimeFrankie

I'm on Day 2 as well so I am with you! It feels crap but let's do this.

After reading SR I decided to book a consultation for later in the week. it's been ages since I was looked at and I want to fess up over my drinking past. I am going in with the attitude 'he'll have seen this before'. sure you will get some sympathy.

Stay strong
Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I know you are right. I know I need to book the appointment but I'm absolutely crapping it! I keep thinking see if things calm down after a week of no drinking and then make a decision. There's also the fact that I saw my doctor years ago about drinking...I went on Disulfirum for a month back then and took myself of it. My doc now thinks I only drink occasionally now. I know I have to own up.
Here's the "inside scoop" on what you'll most likely hear from your doctor when you go.

1. Doctors have seen and heard it all. There is absolutely nothing you can tell them about your drinking that they haven't heard many times before.

2. Doctors view alcoholism as any other ailment - and their goal is to help treat it, not ridicule you for it.

3. In all likelihood, your doctor will commend you for coming in and taking the initiative to quit.

4. They will most likely already know unless you haven't been there in a very long time. After all, they are doctors and their job is observing our bodies and how they work. As much as we try to hide it most people know.

Here are the reasons you should not go and just hope everything gets better on it's own....

Just call, you'll feel much better that you did.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Fun, be safe be sober. You are great! I might go see my dr though. It may make you feel better. Blessings
I'm probably due a routine blood test, maybe I'll just go for a general check up, see how my bloods come back, it's a step in the right direction at least. I feel like such a coward. The reality of this is hard to deal with.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Hey FuntimeFrankie

I'm on Day 2 as well so I am with you! It feels crap but let's do this.

After reading SR I decided to book a consultation for later in the week. it's been ages since I was looked at and I want to fess up over my drinking past. I am going in with the attitude 'he'll have seen this before'. sure you will get some sympathy.

Stay strong
Hey there, it's good to find someone at the same stage. Yes, let's do this....I so want to be a success story. I guess the more I fess up the more
likely that is to happen. Praying for us both, keep in touch x
Old 08-04-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Funtimefranky, it gets better.
Stay strong and stay sober and, after a few days, it does get better.

I don't know a lot. But I know enough to know what I don't know and what I do know.
And I know this: It DOES get better, IF you stay strong and if you stay sober.

Good luck. We are pulling for you.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Here's the "inside scoop" on what you'll most likely hear from your doctor when you go.

1. Doctors have seen and heard it all. There is absolutely nothing you can tell them about your drinking that they haven't heard many times before.

2. Doctors view alcoholism as any other ailment - and their goal is to help treat it, not ridicule you for it.

3. In all likelihood, your doctor will commend you for coming in and taking the initiative to quit.

4. They will most likely already know unless you haven't been there in a very long time. After all, they are doctors and their job is observing our bodies and how they work. As much as we try to hide it most people know.

Here are the reasons you should not go and just hope everything gets better on it's own....

Just call, you'll feel much better that you did.
Ok, I'm going to go to walk in clinic on Wednesday. The best I can do right now is say I'd like a blood test to check things out as my drinking has increased over the last few months and I have some pain. I can't see myself being completely honest at this stage. I have had bad experiences with a few of the doctors there in the past. Rolling eyes and telling me that they should really be reporting me to social services because of the amount I admitted to drinking. My children were younger then. The doctor did not call SS because she could see that my children were very well looked after. She made me have a blood test to prove I was not doing any other drugs. It was such a humiliating experience. I never felt supported, I felt like a low life scum bag. So very embarrassed. I remember getting that blood test and seeing someone I knew at the hospital. They were in the blood test waiting room, it was awful.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Franky,

It will get easier and better! Those first few days suck and not much of anything can help that other than a complete resolution to NEVER drink again! You're right, as long as you start thinking, "Well, maybe just 6 months" you'll be slipping for sure, least that's been my experience. For me, it took acceptance! i could and would admit I had a problem after every binge drunk! But, sure enough in a couple of weeks or so I'd be felling fine and the disease would convince me that I didn't really have a problem!

Once I accepted and not just admitted things began to change. I then desired to go to meetings and get help instead of just isolate. Something about acceptance changes things and allows us to start fighting.

Pulling for you!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The body needs time to adjust physically, mentally, emotionally, it can't wipe out the damage caused by years of drinking in only week, it needs a chance to repair and heal itself!!

Hang in there!!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can't see myself being completely honest at this stage. I have had bad experiences with a few of the doctors there in the past.
If you can't see yourself being completely honest, don't expect a complete assessment of your condition.

Sobriety is all about honestly - first and foremost with yourself. You will need to do things that you are not comfortable with to be sober ( and I'm not simply referring to a doctor visit either ). You might need to admit some things to a doctor you aren't comfortable with. You might need to attend meetings or other rehab-style programs that you don't really want to. You may need to find other friends or activities to surround yourself with, especially during early sobriety. The bottom line is that truly getting sober is hard - probably one of the hardest things you'll ever do in your life. But it is 100% possible if you do the work. And the reward is worth it many times over.