Notices

Day 9 - when does the magic happen?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 - when does the magic happen?

Day 9 sober. I thought I would feel better but I don’t. I have no interest in drinking, no cravings, no desire. I gave up drinking primarily as a way to lose weight, though I do know it’s bad for me to drink a lot and should quit anyway. But I thought that my face would look better, less puffy and clearer, glowing. I thought that I would have boundless energy, and be brimming with joy. Instead I just feel ok. The same. No better, no worse, no different. I thought this would be more of a life changing event. Maybe it takes longer...
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt like that too, my first attempt/longest stint! I expected such a big difference but really didn't find one really, except just knowing my internal organs were thanking me! Maybe it does come with time - I didn't get past 13 days last time. Good luck and glad to hear you're not having cravings/desire to drink, that's great stuff x
Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on 9 days that's great, It does take a while to fully recover physically as the body repairs itself. If you're feeling low on energy then doing all the basics like eating healthy, eating enough, getting some exercise and sleeping right sometimes does the trick.

You'll get your vitality back soon, well done on stopping that is the right decision
Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

PS: Just to add.... I've created my own magic!!! I got bored of waiting for it to happen so have really thrown myself into the diet and weight loss/fitness route! It's totally revived me and given me a great healthy focus looking at great nutrition etc. Maybe re-channel your energies more that direction? xx
Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im on day 9 today as well... Finally feelink "ok" today and is enough magic for me. Baby steps I guess. The first 7 days were hard. Keep at it.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

9 days is great, keep up the good work! For me it took several weeks to start getting back to feeling good physically. It takes time for your body to undo all the damage you have done.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Patience. Not an alcoholic's virtue...but you will need it to be a recovered alcoholic. Life doesn't give us the instant gratification of drinking...but what it gives us sober is more substancial.

Hang in there.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We are different. Our bodies react and adjust to certain stimuli differently.

It took three/four months for people to start noticing the changes in me. Now when I compare myself to my drivers license photo it's amazing.

Hang in there. I don't know your history, but I assume it is safe to say it didn't take 9 days of drinking to mess you up. Probably a lot longer.

I drank for a long time. I suspected it would take up to a year or more before I was 'normal' again. Give yourself time.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't stop. Must keep one day, then another, then another. You are doing fine.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Give it a few weeks, at least, to notice bigger changes. I would suggest going to the gym, or some other type of physical workout, especially cardio. It will get the serotonin in your brain flowing and make you naturally feel better. A natural high so to speak. But as for healing damage from drinking? Really varies from person to person.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How many years did you drink for? . . . the body needs time to adjust physically, mentally, emotionally, it can't wipe out the damage caused by years of drinking in only week, it needs a chance to repair and heal itself!!

You'll get there, but give it time!!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give yourself a little time JDUBSEA - Most of us drank for years...it's gonna take a little time for mind and body to recuperate.

Try and be patient

D
Old 08-04-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

JDUBSEA-I have heard this over and over again, but I'll say it again. It is different for everybody. A lot depends on your age, how long and how much you have been drinking. I felt pretty lousy at day 9. Just hit 30 and feel like the progress is soooo slow. But there is progress. The biggest difference for me is the weight is really coming off and my skin isn't dry.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by JDUBSEA View Post
I just feel ok. The same. No better, no worse, no different. I thought this would be more of a life changing event. Maybe it takes longer...
The magic happens when you make it happen. It's that simple.

What changes have you made in your life besides stopping drinking?

Take a look around and see what you can do to bring joy and peace to your life.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm on day 17, and what you describe sounds similar to the way my first 10 days went. Then the withdrawal hit hard on days 11 and 12, then I bounced back and feel pretty good now. My advice would be to find a hobby or activity you enjoy to fill the time you used to spend drinking - this is what I failed to do in my prior attempts, not dealing with the boredom. Between exercise and reading books since getting sober, its made it a lot easier to not think about the bottle. Hang in there!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

I'm on day 9 as well! Congrats! I've been forcing myself to the gym for the past 4 days and it really has helped me feel better. Also eating healthy. I'm trying to lose weight too!

Keep at it! We can do this!!! :-)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, JDUBSEA,

Congrats on 9 days!

I'm on day 24, and days 8, 9 and 10 were the worst for me. In the second week, my face puffiness virtually disappeared and my skin looked fresh. I noticed better energy, but today, I really felt a difference. And the weight is starting to come off. I was a very heavy drinker for many years. I'm sure I still don't feel as good as I will down the road, but I sure feel better. Hang in, the changes will come.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with what others have said - You have to make the magic happen. In particular, I've enjoyed setting fitness goals for myself...things that I know I would not have been able to accomplish when I was drinking. It's a great feeling and draws a sharp contrast between the old life and the new.

Best of luck.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

MAGIC ????

can you explain to me what you think the magic really is with being sober ?

what do you think is going to happen now your sober ?

does being just like anyone else in this world who isn't an alcoholic and who just get on with daily living in peace sound like your idea of magic ? or are you expecting more

i guess the only magic i have is knowing where i have come from and happy that i am not there anymore
in my daily living i am happy in my heart most of the time and my mind doesnt race at 100mph anymore
if problems come along i deal with them if i can if not i see i can not do anything and let it go
anything to keep my peace is good for me

unless of course i am doing something wrong and i am missing out on this magic : ) if so i need someone to explain to me what is it
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by JDUBSEA View Post
When does the magic happen?
Some time after the magician asks for help from the audience, and then accepts that help and runs with it.