Notices

going to make a change

Old 08-04-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

going to make a change

Hello ,
First post ever on a forum like this. Been drinking for 28 years and it just is not working for me anymore. Have never tried to stop, cut down yes, but not stop. Used to be a fun drunk and now I get some rage filled I fear I will do something terrible, used to be able to stop once I started, not I cant get enough. Never have drank everyday, but for the last two years it has been three or four times a week, then a day off to recover, then hit it again. Worked hard my whole life to retire young and now I spend 75% of my time either drunk or sick from drinking. Never had a run in with the law while drunk (I don't know how), but I fear I will have a run it if I keep it up. Have an awesome family and I guess I just expect them to deal with me as I don't get mad at them, don't rage at them, and am a great provider. I guess what bothers me the most is I am setting a terrible example for my kids. They have private lessons for sports, music, tutors etc,,, but Dad is hammered most of the time. There is no doubt my drinking affects my social life, as I also judge others who get too drunk too often, but apparently I think it ok for me since I don't get AS drunk as some. Got a lot of thinking to do and just want to make a change form my self/wife/family/life.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum herradura!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! It's great to have you here!!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and hello.
I drank a lot like you. Great job, never a run-in with the law. Didn't have the family, though, so I was free to drink myself into oblivion whenever I wanted. And it was often.
When I started drinking, I couldn't stop myself either. Never saw the point. I was never a moderate drinker. It was all or nothing.
I would drink for two or three day benders and take a day or two off to recover, too.
But alcoholism has a progressive component. And with me, it did,until I was drinking all day most every day.
please don't wait until you hit the lows I did. It was a living nightmare.
You can stop. I did, and I was near hopeless.
You'll find lots of support here. So keep posting and reading.
Best to you.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, herradura. By recognizing your problem before something REALLY bad happens, you have given yourself a great opportunity to right the ship, to regain the respect of your family, and to greatly improve your quality of life.

Now your just have to resolve to take advantage of this opportunity.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to solving it. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR herradura

sounds like you have a lot of great reasons to quit - I'm glad you found us

D