Notices

Short fuse in early sobriety?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Short fuse in early sobriety?

Hope you all are having a good night

I'm currently 52 days into sobriety. I have some great moments throughout my day. I enjoy kicking back and relaxing after work with some tea or soda and having some great laughs with the TV, playing piano, etc. Drinking thoughts enter my mind and seem to be fleeting. Drinking dreams are common for me though which I can't stand.

I noticed though, that with friends I'd normally interact with(not drinking buddies), I get irritable over their little quirks pretty easily. This is especially true with people at work. It tends to come out as sarcasm(not bad to the point where I just completely fly off the handle and curse or scream or etc). Normally, I think drinking would make me numb and not even really care about any of that. Being sober, I feel like somethings just get me angry and I have to cope. And rather then hold it all in like I normally do, I feel like I'm starting to show and express a little bit here and there. Very unusual for me....

Not sure if I am even making any sense here, LOL. Maybe this irritability is normal? Not sure if irritability like that could be PAWS? The amount of times I've read a text or heard something that was told to me and just think "omfg, are you serious???"

I was hoping to hear if anyone had to struggle with irritability in early sobriety, if any one could relate, if anyone has stories of overcoming it. I guess I possibly am just not used to dealing with feelings in general.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a big change, and irritability is pretty standard. I was a major jerk for a while, I'm getting better. The more I love myself the better I can be to others. Keep up the good work, changes are a sign you're recovering slowly but surely.
-Ted
Old 08-04-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was the exact opposite. Perhaps it was just surrending and accepting my circumstances.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think irritability is pretty common for most of us newman23

I tried really hard to remember things I was grateful for...sometimes even writing a list.
That helped to keep my worst excesses in check.

I'm not a Dr, but based on my experience I'd be surprised if you don't notice an improvement any time now?

D
Old 08-04-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It'll take time for things to adjust, my emotions took some time to level out!!

Hang in there!!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 52 days sober. The irritability will fade with time.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey newman - just a suggestion, but I would pay attention to when your irritation surfaces and just notice what is up? For me, I had been a little too relaxed with emotional boundaries when I was drinking...like tolerating things while drinking that were wicked annoying while sober. Suddenly I found myself mentally drawing lines in the sand where before they did not exist. That's a big change in itself.

Go easy on yourself. Sobriety and making the effort to forge your way through the discomfort without numbing is so worth it - a step closer towards freedom from the whole beast. Is there someone you can talk it through with in real life? Keep up the good work.

As far as doing something when the irritability surfaces...if it is really uncomfortable or you know that you are feeling that way in general, then you can limit the time spent in any given situation. And just know that it is enough to recognize it without the need to respond or try to change the situation. Annoying stuff is everywhere and when you feel less irritable in general all things around you may feel more tolerable.