Notices

Sobriety Sucks !

Old 08-03-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety Sucks !

Hello folks,
Im not trying to be negative, just being honest. Im so used to alcohol in my system, when its not there, I feel like taking a baseball bat and crushing anything in my sight. I cant even manage a faint smile these days without it. People do not want to be around me. I do not want to be around myself, I just want to sleep, which does not come easily. I wish you all the best in life, but I think Im just gonna go ahead and drink, for the sake of those around me. God Bless you all.

when I have my beers, I can act normal and not scare people off. I know its f%&*d up, but thats the way it is.

It is not a perfect world, nor am I a perfect person.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey OldSkool. I am really sorry you are struggling. Before you go back to a lifestyle that wasn't working for you (you came here, right?) maybe you could talk to a doctor or counselor? There might be more going on here than simply being unhappy because you are not drinking.

I hope things turn around in a healthy way for you.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dont think sobriety sucks. How long have you been sober for?

It takes awhile for you to get back to normal.

I am sure your friends and family prefer you sober
Old 08-03-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Give it time. Sobriety is definitely worth it.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some people have a harder time then others. Are you angry because you don't drink, or are you drinking because you are angry? A lot of times we drink to cover problems. When we stop drinking the problems are still there. For me, drinking was a bigger problem then the problems I drank to cover. When you get sober for a while, you will have time to work it all out. Drinking won't fix anything. It won't make an angry man happy. I hope you give this some time and think about why you came here in the first place. Either way, we are all here for you.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Sobriety does suck, but I quit for my family, my friends, my bank account, my legacy, and course for myself. You have to find a program to make your life sober worth living.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

At first yes it does. Give it time because that goes away. Living as a drunk sucks much worse. A year from now you could be starting a post that says "Drinking sucks".
Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I went through a period of time when I hated everyone and everything including myself. I was so angry that I felt like I would break. Or explode. Or both at the same time. I was miserable to be around. I didn't even want to be around me. It's gotten better. I can't say that it has been easy or that it has gone away entirely but it is certainly better than I felt while drinking. Before you decide to drink why not give yourself some time. Mine gradually diminished until one day I noticed that I wasn't ready to throttle everyone. It's been tough but it's been better than the alternative.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Noooo! I know it's hard, but don't give in!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At first it's not much fun. But my sober life most certainly does not suck. I suggest giving it some more time OldSkool; you've come this far, so why not keep at it for awhile?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~Music is my mantra ----{-@

OldSkool....my main problem with early sobriety is boredom!!!! Find some AA meetings and try and go to one or two or three daily. I go to NA, and the meetings help me so much! It's like they give me fuel when I am about to run out of gas. I know how you feel though man, it's tough. Just try to stick it out for one more day. I'm right here with you!!!!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
Hello folks,
Im not trying to be negative, just being honest. Im so used to alcohol in my system, when its not there, I feel like taking a baseball bat and crushing anything in my sight. I cant even manage a faint smile these days without it. People do not want to be around me. I do not want to be around myself, I just want to sleep, which does not come easily. I wish you all the best in life, but I think Im just gonna go ahead and drink, for the sake of those around me. God Bless you all.

when I have my beers, I can act normal and not scare people off. I know its f%&*d up, but thats the way it is.

It is not a perfect world, nor am I a perfect person.
Everyone feels like that at some point. Thats precisely what so many people relapse.

Here's the thing tho - this is not 'recovery' 'sobriety' or whatever you want to call it. This is NOT the way it's always going to be

This is the difficult transitional phase between years of drinking and real recovery.

It's not going to last forever and you will get through it.

If you're being an ass to those who love you then pull yourself together and stop being an ass

Think about the good things in your life. Think about how you put those at risk when you drink.

If you need more support, then find more support - but don't go backwards...drinking doesn't work. You know that already.

You'll only be back here in a month, 3 months, 6 months, a years time wanting to quit again.

Just take a few deep breaths and recognise this for what it is. An Addictive Voice tantrum.

you can do this

D
Old 08-03-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you

thanks for all your kind words of encouragement. i will keep tryin,....
Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I looked at your profile - man you're right where most of us were in the first few weeks.

It's like a baby learning to walk or trying to learn to ride a 'big bike' the first time...

Rather than being frustrated just accept that your mind and body need time to heal from those years of abuse we inflicted upon ourselves.

try and relax and just let yourself be, for a while

D
Old 08-03-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't give up!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OldSkool I hope you are still holding on.

Sobriety does suck -- when you are first starting. After a month or so you will start to like it more and more, and eventually you will feel better than you ever did drinking, and without all of the negative **** that comes with it.

Just remember that every crappy feeling and painful day you've gone through is a victory and a step towards breaking out of the cycle. Don't start drinking and go back to square one, you're just going to have to do all those days again. Instead look forward, you just have to hold on through the storm and in time things will get easier and easier until eventually sobriety is your natural state, and you know you'll never ever go back!

Hang in there, it will be worth it I swear to you!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It sucks at first, and can occasionally suck after a while, but there are many days I say "sober kicks butt!". Let it happen, don't fight it, fight the alcohol. We ALL know how you feel. Keep it going, don't worry about other people, take care of yourself. Good luck!
-Ted
Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hear you! I was talking about the whole being sober thing with my wife earlier today. How I'm used to "partying" every weekend and how it feels weird not to. Just so used to that routine on the weekends especially I was bored. Didn't give in though...I woke up tired this morning, but I wasn't hungover with my head in the toilet at least =). I've been going on 2 weeks now no drinking, but I must say when the weekends come around they're tough as hell, especially where I live!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Don't give up OldSkool, like anything worth doing in life it takes time, Rome wasn't built in a day, a few weeks in is still early days!!

The benefits of being Sober take time to come!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Don't give up! I am not going to! We all need to support each other x