What do YOU do for YOU?

Old 08-03-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do YOU do for YOU?

I made it a point to do a few nice things for myself today and started thinking about the acts I typically perform in self-care. What do you do for yourself?

I'll go first. In addition to going to Al-Anon meetings, I exercise (run, specifically). I also reach out to friends, even if have to force myself to do so. I have several good friends ... but when the going gets rough, I tend to isolate. I always feel better when I reach out. Always.

I also make sure I eat, and eat well (as opposed to grabbing some popcorn and a Diet Coke, for example). If I really want to treat myself, I'll prepare food (which is a huge deal, because I don't really cook).

I'm really early in my recovery, so I don't have a long list. However, I'm beginning to make the connection between self-care and healing, so I thought I'd share mine with you. I'd love to hear yours as well.

Lion
Old 08-03-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Tonight I had a lovely long hot soak in the bath I haven't done that since he left and it was so relaxing will definitely be doing that more often!!

Spending time with my kids
I love walks along the beach
Shopping
I read
Love lying in bed watching TV all snuggled up under the duvet
I like you isolate myself when I'm feeling low haven't reached the point of forcing myself to reach out yet so that is my next goal!!

I've noticed that when I'm focusing on myself I also eat better and look after myself better I realised today that I haven't been looking after myself enough even my skin care routine has gone out the window as my focus as been on separated AH not today and I need to remember that!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it's seafair sunday in seattle.....best day of the summer....and we have awesome weather....I've been watching hydros, the airshow with the marines and the blue angels (on TV), did some yard work, got the shopping for the week done and finishing up on the laundry...AND we have NFL FOOTBALL TONITE! football is BACK! and it's 82 and sunny.....

perfect day......this might be one of the best days of my life.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ooooh, I love to snuggle up in bed and watch a really good show on TV, too. I'm a huge mystery fan! Think that's what I'll do tonight.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All kinds of stuff. I was never shy about self care way back when, but I had really fallen out of the habit in true Codie fashion.

Yoga, massage, reiki, acupuncture, good sleep!, Netflix marathons, reading, we (DD & I) do activities whenever possible like picking our own strawberries & veggies at U-Pick local farms, I keep an eye on Groupon for our area for ideas & deals & the local magazines for workshops that strike my fancy, I've been reliving my youth by introducing DD to the now classic movies I grew up on (we watch 1-2 per week during these summer days), long soaks in Epsom salts, C.H.O.C.O.L.A.T.E. (last wknd we visited a Lindt chocolate outlet store & had a blast creating our own bag of 100 asst truffles out of about 20 different flavors). You know. Stuff.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I almost had an ******* when you started talking about buying 20 kinds of Lindt truffles FireSprite.

Those things are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

I've been buying myself flowers lately. I got some lovely vases on 3rd markdown at TJ Maxx yesterday
and am planning to buy myself a giant bouquet of long-stemmed White Oriental Lilies for my 50th birthday and have them delivered to my workplace. . .
now that I have vases big enough to hold the mega-size. . .

I also eat very well, do yoga, play guitar, and spend lots of time in nature and with my dogs.
For me, being sober is also "treating myself well" and that's the biggest gift of all I think.

Last edited by DesertEyes; 08-03-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Foul language. There are children reading these posts.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

lmbo Hawkeye; now that I have discovered the cappuccino & peanut butter flavors (in addition to every other flavor I already love).... my life is more fulfilled, ha. We have a few more flavors that we haven't tried yet. Citrus & sea salt & maybe orange or raspberry?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I almost had an ****** when you started talking about buying 20 kinds of Lindt truffles
Lol!!! Laughing so hard!!

Last edited by DesertEyes; 08-03-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Foul language.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

We have our hydro races up here on Whidbey in a couple weeks, Anvil. You should come up. The traffic isn't nearly as bad as it is in Seattle on Seafair weekend.

I don't do enough for myself, and I know it. I do regular mani/pedis at home (I have a slight polish hoarding problem), but that's really it. I need to exercise more. I'm so tired all the time from two autoimmune diseases, allergies (the island we live on is trying to kill me), and asthma. That makes it hard to clean the house and take care of the kids, so exercise is rarely on my radar. Mr. Grits and I are going on a kind-of vacation at the end of September. He's going on det to Key West with the Navy and we're lining up a babysitter for the kids so that I can have a true mental health break. I'm so afraid it's not going to work out, but I have no control over that. Hopefully it will, though. I miss the east coast terribly.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today I participated in my firs Second Line at the Louis Armstrong Festival in New Orleans. When I moved here a year ago, one of the things I was excited about experiencing was the second line. I went to the festival in a very low mood after some negative interactions last night and this morning (Cody!!!)- and I was just about to leave the festival this morning with a tear in my eye when I saw the second line coming. I hesitated for a moment and then joined in. It really lifted my spirits and made me feel like this was my city too.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I do everything I have always enjoyed that I could not do with separated AH! He hated sushi, I love it! He always put me down when I wanted to go to church so I go to church every week. I am getting my groove back!!
Old 08-03-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I do Gardening and read books,go to A.A meetings,watch movies.

Originally Posted by thelionhearted View Post
I made it a point to do a few nice things for myself today and started thinking about the acts I typically perform in self-care. What do you do for yourself?

I'll go first. In addition to going to Al-Anon meetings, I exercise (run, specifically). I also reach out to friends, even if have to force myself to do so. I have several good friends ... but when the going gets rough, I tend to isolate. I always feel better when I reach out. Always.

I also make sure I eat, and eat well (as opposed to grabbing some popcorn and a Diet Coke, for example). If I really want to treat myself, I'll prepare food (which is a huge deal, because I don't really cook).

I'm really early in my recovery, so I don't have a long list. However, I'm beginning to make the connection between self-care and healing, so I thought I'd share mine with you. I'd love to hear yours as well.

Lion
Old 08-03-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yikes, I'm still so bad about doing anything for myself I don't usually even read these! I do think I can manage some of those Lindt truffles. Apparently I'm seriously missing out! Too funny
Old 08-03-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pia

I am now interested in running. I decided to build a fire pit in my backyard for a bonfire in the winter. I am not much of a dig a hole kinda girl but am having so much fun. Its allot of hard work for me but I have months to get it done lol.

I enjoy the quiet and peacefulness. I have more time to volunteer and just smile
Old 08-03-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Have a glass of wine, since I can do that now, and listen to Ohio Players "I Want To Be Free"....seriously, so helpful!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I do a lot of things others have listed here but I don't actively consider it as for my benefit too. Maybe I need to change my perspective!

I take my girls to the zoo and aquarium at least once a month, we do mom and tot yoga at least once a week, I run daily and I'm currently training for my absolute favorite race and since participants are drawn by lottery I feel incredibly fortunate to be running again this year, I take my girls to U pick farms a lot during this time of year (last week we picked organic strawberries at an ocean side farm, looking forward to picking apples and pumpkins soon!), I cook a LOT tonight was chicken noodle soup from scratch -as in I started with a whole chicken and water, I garden as well and planted more carrots and spinach this afternoon, I treated myself to the Nordstrom Anniversary sale today and last week I bought myself some new running gear. I love reading. I love love love laying in the sun (so bad for my skin but I just love it!) and I especially love exploring and adventuring in new areas. I'm lucky that I live in such a sprawling location because my girls and I do quite a bit of exploring new places every week. And I try to paint my toenails at least once a week. Something about having a fun color on my toes makes me happy.

I also go to counseling and AlAnon weekly - totally for my benefit but not really fun. Self care can be as small as focusing on your breathing a few times a day or making sure you get to bed at a reasonable hour (something I really suck at) or as grand as treating yourself to a massage or other spa services or shopping.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Im early in recovery and my rAH is almost 6 months into his recovery. I've never taken the greatest care of myself but here lately I've been using night visualizations thru my ear buds to help me calm and release tension. I don't usually last through the whole program before I'm out cold asleep. I sometimes do this in the morning and occasionally in the afternoon if I feel particularly stressed. It has been helpful. I don't care to feel so stressed all of the time because it turns me into someone I don't like. Also, like you, reaching out to friends and not bottling up has been freeing.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Prayer, meditation, stretching, breathing deeply, foot massages, color visualizing, taking time for reading, eating well, playing outside with DS, listening to Steven Halpern's binaural beats, some light gardening. Not all of it every day, but much of it. What I didn't realize at first is that self-care doesn't mean self-centered. Part of going to therapy helped with showing me how much I need to reach out and connect with others - to break down the shell I had closed myself up in.

A friend of mine has a commercial organic garden. I recently made a four layer gluten free birthday cake with fresh carrots from her garden. I couldn't eat it because of the sugar and grains, but making it was wonderful -- especially since it was for the birthday lady and in using some of my friends carrots that were freshly pulled (2x what the recipe called for). Then I made a grain free carrot cake with honey for my husband, son and I with a whipped egg white/honey 7 minute frosting. When I stop taking time for myself, I stop sharing with others and only feel like I need to "do" instead of fully living. I often slip back to the 'minimal' self care and that gives me minimal change. Even good changes are hard to remember to do.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Great Stuff! Heard an sober gent who had an extreme bottom say.....If I thought I would have lived this long, I would have taken better care of my teeth!

I now brush and floss more often
Also, have re-discovered how much I enjoy fishing!!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Things I do for me...(I'm in early recovery too, ABF is 3 weeks sober...) I walk/run, blast my music in my car to/from work, call my mom.

I also go to church, and I don't let myself get upset when my 3 year old makes a big mess anymore, if she is enjoying herself that is what makes me happy!