It's my job ...

Old 08-03-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dbh

It's my job ...

I was inspired by a previous thread to write down the things that ARE my job. Please feel free to add.

Again, my list is from an Adult Child perspective.
  • It is my job to live the best life that I can. I will do this not in spite of my past but because of my past. I am stronger, wiser, and probably have a bit more compassion because of my experiences. As a child, I had no control of my environment. There were years that my needs were not met. As an adult I have more control and I owe it to myself to make up for lost time.
  • It is my job to take care of myself physically, mentally, and spiritually.
  • It is my job to give my children the best foundation that I can. It is my job to be there for them emotionally and to make sure that they learn to trust their instincts and feelings.
  • It is my job to create a home that is peaceful, loving, and a haven from the chaos in the world.
  • It will eventually be my job to let my children go. They have their own life to create.
  • It is my job to define my needs, wants, and desires.
  • It is my job to find a career that I love and that pays well so that I can pursue my needs, wants, and desires.

Always good to remind myself about the things that I can control.

db
Old 08-03-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's my job to recognize my contribution to negative situations in my life and to work my own recovery so that I am not creating my own misery and problems.
It's my job to make amends for my own poor behavior in the past and to live those amends through better behavior in the future.
It's my job to take good care of myself, so that I can set a positive example through my own actions toward myself.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's my job to make myself happy, not expect or depend on anyone else to do it.

It's my job to make progress in all the areas of my life that need work.

It's my job to outline what I want in life and not passively accept the opinions of those around me as to what would be good for me. It's my decision to make.

It's my job to take care of myself and not wait around for someone to notice if I need help. If I need help, I need to ask for it.

It's my job to work my CODA program and make the changes required and not obsess about the shortcomings of others. If my HP has a plan for me, then S/He has a plan for them as well and that plan is none of my business.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To protect my daughter from growing up in an alcoholic household.