Notices

Alaska, moving, stress

Old 08-02-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alaska, moving, stress

Here I am in Alaska again for a month. When I'm back in Utah, I will have six days to finish getting the house ready to put on the market. Then....driving 16 hours to the cabin with four animals and two trucks. So I can live in a 450 sq feet floor of the cabin with four animals and a husband for 90 days.

And it crosses your mind....it's too stressful not to drink right now. Too much going on to worry about sobriety. Just get my crap done while drinking, and I'll tackle that drinking issue later.

But there is a big problem with this. This is the time I need a sharp mind and well rested body. I have a lot of work ahead of me, and I'm not sure i can do it if I resume my drinking hobby where I left off. And, after this "crisis" is over, another one will follow, then another and another. Sometimes I want to punch something in frustration. Ack!!

So I have to always keep this in the front of my mind. I absolutely need my wits to sign papers, pack, move and not go insane. And buying a new house, I have to be sharp. I have to know what I'm doing, know what I'm seeing in new properties, etcetera. Ask the right questions. I can't be muddled in a hangover. There is action that needs to be taken and I need to be smart about it. It's that important.

So the moral of my story is this. There is no ideal time to do this. Anytime is no more ideal than any other. The stresses will never end. Our lives are challenge after challenge. It's not going to stop. So put down the bottle today. There is no better day and no better time.

Yes I'm freakin and peakin. But a drink simply will not help. I just can't handle the drink, not now, not ever

Love ya bunches!!!!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post! It was good to read this because I have always unjustly justified my drinking every time in the past. That is what I am keeping my attention on, at the moment, being i'm at day 3. A normal happy life seems like a dream but this lonely nightmare i have murked in will ruin all. We deserve to be happy!!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

R ,
Up's and down's happen, it's how we deal with them that counts .

Drink is a way of not dealing with anything and quite often makes situations worse.

We might think we can't cope but in all honesty i've found my thoughts are different to the doing .

Keep on

m
Old 08-03-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Raider,

I couldn't agree more. I have learned to understand and accept that one drink will have exactly the same effect tomorrow as it would have the day I got out of rehab in Feb 2010, and that my sobriety has to always be my first priority. Being my first priority doesn't usually entail a whole lot of effort or difficult decisions, just self awareness and a realistic sense of what I can and cannot reasonably expect to be able to handle at any given time.

Pay attention to those fleeting thoughts. Just because you have made a plan doesn't mean that it cannot be modified. What parts of this are most stressful and why? How can it be re-arranged or altered to reduce stress and be more manageable? Is it inherently unmanageable and too overwhelming to take on at this time? Give yourself permission to make your sobriety your most precious possession, and treat it accordingly.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Raider,

I drank again after a short period of sobriety a year ago during a move. I was dusty, sweaty, and frustrated and caved after a long day of packing. I can still remember the splitting headache nausea I felt the next day as I drove the truck away. It was so not worth it. It certainly didn't help with the move.

You have the insight that there will always be stressful situations in the future. Think of how awesome you will feel when you get through this move sober and feeling good. You can do this.

Last edited by MelindaFlowers; 08-03-2014 at 12:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-03-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for a great post Pam - and I agree with everything you've said

D
Old 08-03-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me too;

Sending you good wishes for a speedy and lucrative sale
Old 08-03-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Love your post! You keep going girl!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very happy to read that you are not going to let the situation get to you and have a drink Raider. Safe travels to and fro. You are doing great!!!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

YOU ROCK!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lovely post, thanks!
Good luck with everything. Drinking can never be a hobby.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are so right, Pam! Good luck with the house-selling and move.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Pam!!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Pam.

Somewhere along the line in my sobriety, I started looking at life more as a series of challenges than as being filled with things I needed to do but did not always want to do, or would rather not do at all. This is more or less how I was before relapsing after twenty five years, but I also found I had a new vigor for life itself. For example, I struggled to get back to working in my field at first, but now am loving my work. Same thing with finding a place to live, and with less concrete stuff like peace of mind, determination and meaningfulness.

There are few things in life that are as sustaining or make me as happy as I am when I'm in the process of bettering my life, even when this means that short- or long- term sacrifices are part of that process. Just being able to give my best effort to things, regardless of the results, is a blessing.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you. I really needed to read a post like this today. my 'justification' is always work is stressful, house moving is stressful, paperwork is stressful etc. You are right, they would have been much easier to deal with sober looking back.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Pam.

I've sabotaged myself at the worst possible times all through my life. It feels good to finally know there's no answer or help to be found at the bottom of that bottle. Took me decades. Proud of you for coming to the right conclusion!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well said, Raider! The challenges of life continue as long as we live. That makes it critical to remain sober to be able to face things as they arise.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Love it and so true!
Old 08-03-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes! Excellent post and conclusion Raider. There is nothing worse than going through a stressful time hungover. ...pure torture. You've got a lot on your plate, but you can do it-
Old 08-03-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I love you guys so much. Thanks.