Notices

How many AA meetings....

Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

How many AA meetings....

Hello. I know this differs for everyone here and who is dealing with alcoholism. Our bodies all react differently. My sponsor highly recommended to me that I start the 90 in 90 days for AA meetings. It's not a must, but since I am still so new to recovery I thought this may be the right thing for me to do on a regular basis until I can get a hold on my anxiety and depression without having a single drink to cope with life. I went to one last night. I liked it. I'm going to one this afternoon before work. These meetings really help me to stay put in a prospective of how important it is to stay sober. I've heard so many great stories I can relate to. Alcohol is doing nothing for me but keeping me in trouble with not only myself but with society as well.

So, how many meetings did it take for you to realize this really works for me, and I can finally do this?
Old 08-02-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I probably attended 5 meetings a week for the first 6 months or so. Around my 30 days it felt like it was sticking. I love it still after 20 months. I make 3-4 a week and I always hear what I need to hear. And good for you for taking your sponsor's suggestion.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

as many as it takes
Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

ZB - I too am trying 90 in 90. May not be exactly there, but it'll be close(hopefully - still haven't hit 60 days).

One thing said in meetings that stuck with me others shared consistently was - when you really don't feel like going to a meeting, that is the time to make sure you go!!!

True words for me. At this point I really have come to enjoy them and starting to make new, sober, real friendships I believe.

Thanks for the great question!
keep coming back, it hurts then it works!
Old 08-02-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you take a good look at yourself.... you will know what has to happen..
Old 08-02-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. Many things we don’t realize because we didn’t know what we didn’t know will be revealed in making the most meetings. This has many plusses as it helps keep our evenings occupied and close to people who understand us and help us.
The majority of good things I heard for me were at meetings and not watching TV.
Heck I’m still going years later to 3-5 meetings a week.

BE WELL
Old 08-02-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

I went to my afternoon AA meeting this afternoon, and since the group was extremely small I was able to talk to two older gentlemen who have been sober for over 20 years both. It was a nice, intimate meet and I couldn't have been more grateful to hear their stories, and know that this is doable to not drink, and it definitely does take ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Flynbuy, definitely good luck in your 90 in 90! This will be so worth it for both of us. We can do this.

Thank you everyone for your replies!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you Zanabanana,
When I first attended an AA meeting the most overwhelming thing for me was identifying with others and their alcoholism. Over 3 years sober and my anxiety and depression are definitely much less, my moods more stable.
Important to also start listening to what the program is all about, I can't always get to meetings because of my location but I come to SR everyday.
Hang in there

CaiHong
Old 08-02-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by zanabanana View Post
I went to my afternoon AA meeting this afternoon, and since the group was extremely small I was able to talk to two older gentlemen who have been sober for over 20 years both. It was a nice, intimate meet and I couldn't have been more grateful to hear their stories, and know that this is doable to not drink, and it definitely does take ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Flynbuy, definitely good luck in your 90 in 90! This will be so worth it for both of us. We can do this.

Thank you everyone for your replies!
AWESOME - ROCK IT! I read Oswald Chambers daily - helps me build my needed spirituality to get through this!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"So, how many meetings did it take for you to realize this really works for me, and I can finally do this? "

when I got into AA it was suggested I give it 90 days and if I didn't like the reults the misery would be refunded at the door.
I didn't make 90 in 90. but in that time there was a week I did 15 in 7. at90, something was different. I didn't know what it was, but it was better than what I had when I got into AA so I decided to keep it up. not just goin to meetings, but continueing working the steps.
sometime shortly after that I realized something: I drank for about 23 years and I was only gonna give the program 90 days??? why not give it 23 years??
ive got 14 more years to decide if I like what ive been getting, but if it keeps goin like it has, ill still keep it up.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Thank you for sharing that with us, tomsteve! For me the 90 in 90 sounds next to impossible but I firmly believe it can be doable. I've bought myself a small calendar, will keep track of the number of times I go, and I'm looking forward to every meeting. With that said, I have a funny schedule this week but I have the time off where I am able to get to my regular meetings and I'm happy for that! Meditation and prayers really do help! I have my faith in the Lord. I know he will get me through this.