Notices

Vodka is now my safe place

Old 08-02-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vodka is now my safe place

Kisses that shower a newborn baby. Brought into a world that's so crazy.
A mother cries when her young child dies- tears of sorrow fill the fathers eyes.
A bottle of vodka will now be a friend. For my babies life had to end.
Isolation is a must- together we are just the 2 of us.
The last breath - The pale face- The cold embrace

Vodka is now my safe place.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No it is not. Vodka is lying to you, your addiction is lying to you. Stop drinking. YOu can do it and you are worth a sober life. I read your story and you have been through a lot, but nurturing your strength within- you have more than you know- will keep you going. Do not drink the vodka, vodka is not your safe place, sobriety is.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol didn't do very much for me, it only made things worse!!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Vodka is no safe place. It's a trap and it's hard to get out of. Don't fall for the lies. Vodka is no friend to you.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Vodka was my door to the land of the walking dead and the most delusional sense of "peace" I'd ever experienced. You don't need to wait until you burn alive in that safe haven.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Vodka was my safe place for a while. I would buy a bottle everyday on my way home from the job I detested. As soon as I got back to my apartment, I poured myself a drink and I was in my sanctuary where nothing bothered me.

Soon though, vodka wasn't a safe place anymore. I found myself waking up in jail cells and spending the night in hospitals. Every Monday morning I had to think of another excuse to explain the black-eye or the road-rash on my cheek. By this point, I had lost my driver's license already to a DUI so I couldn't visit my girlfriend in another city. I decided to break up with her so I could just drink vodka alone.

I continued down this path for another 5 years until I had nothing left. The job and the apartment went. I was bankrupt, unemployed, and essentially homeless. Trust me when I say that vodka won't be safe for very long!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Vodka is where a lot of late stage alcoholics end up. I had my bout with it. It won. I gave up.
Same here. Vodka built the bridge that took me into full blown alcoholism. In my late stages, I probably would have tried to write poetry about it too. Glad I kicked that stuff, nearly killed me.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never realized it until just now. I didn't drink vodka until the last year or two of my drinking. Near the end it was a big jug (or more) of titos a week to supplement my 3 or 4 cases of beer. At the very end, I would drink vodka like normal people would drink their morning juice. Six oz cup. Not to mention the expensive bourbon I would drink the same way. I bought sippin whiskey, but never sipped it.

It's no way to live. It's a slow death.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The ultimate goal of alcohol is to kill you. Period. Sure, it will befriend you for a while, but it always has that one goal in mind. It's like someone being really nice to you, but has a hidden agenda that you don't see coming until its too late.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice try at poetry. Don't quit your day job.
Vodka is where a lot of late stage alcoholics end up. I had my bout with it. It won. I gave up.
Romanticize it all you want. It'll take all you have and if you drink it long enough, your very life.
Maybe it's just me but this seems like a really rude and hurtful thing to say to someone who is writing about losing her child..

Im so sorry for your loss. Vodka isn't the answer. I dont have much advice because I cant imagine the pain you must be feeling. Please know drinking will only make your pain worse. ♥Hugs
Old 08-02-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you to those who have positive and helpful remarks.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Using vodka to find a safe place is like lighting yourself on fire to stay warm. It might work for a little bit, then you realize you're screwed.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss. Your friends are here. Vodka isn't one of them.

Lisa.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

While I will not try to understand your sorrow and grief that you are experiencing, I am guessing there is a part of you that does not believe what you wrote. If Vodka was really your friend you would not post a poem about it on a recovery site?

As hard as this might sound you need to embrace that dim light within you that is crying out for help. This is what I had to do.

I had to become open that my way was not working and call in experts to help. That meant reaching outside myself. Reaching out here is a good start. Perhaps a therapist or AA meeting. A meeting that deals with grief might be helpful too.

Keep posting, poetry or otherwise but keep arching out. You will realize that Vodka is not your friend - that I am 100% certain of.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Didn't mean to be rude, Just the facts. I didn't realize he had lost a child.
My fault, sorry.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Death by vodka is not romantic, easy, pretty, or noble. It is a bloated, bloody, ****** wretched mess horrifying to those who have to endure it, and once you are dead and out of the game, life just goes on. Bye bye. Adios muchaco

Where there is life there is hope. Put down the drink and live.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Memastrole, my heartfelt condolences to you. I was more focused on the vodka than your loss when I posted. Please do your best to get through this trying time.
Vodka is not the answer, it only brings more pain.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EndGame

Didn't mean to be rude, Just the facts. I didn't realize he had lost a child.
My fault, sorry.
We all have our moments. Forgiveness is more powerful than resentment. I think your formidable contributions to SR overshadow a single careless comment.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Memastrole View Post
Vodka is now my safe place.
"Now" is not forever, and I hope this is true sooner rather than later for you.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Apologies were given, let's concentrate on support for Memastrole and not snipping at each other.

Thank You