Notices

fulfilling a promise

Old 08-02-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fulfilling a promise

In a previous thread I promised I'd come here first if I was tempted to take painkillers again. Well I'm here. Currently on day 8 and mentally feeling flat, depressed and joyless. I'm struggling and very tempted to try and find the tablets i know my wife has hidden close by. Got no one to speak to about this and feel like I'm gonna crack ��
Old 08-02-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

Hey FC
Great job posting. Sorry to hear you are struggling.
I found AVRT to be a very helpful method to understand and 'control' urges and temptations. Have you ever looked into to it, there is a lot of info on it in the secular forum here.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sorry you're feeling tempted, it's an awful feeling! Is there any way she can just flush them? (sorry if you've already explained why this isn't an option). I mean, I know when we really decide to imbibe, we can find a way.. but if it wasn't RIGHT THERE, and a virtual non-option you might feel a little less anxious about it.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FC, Thanks for sharing with us and keeping those self promises are important! WHY are you feeling depressed, flat and joyless? It may be that about day 8 is when all those chemicals are leaving your body and you're facing/feeling emotions that you normally mask! That's my experience anyways...we all use because we want to feel 'normal' it really does all boil down to emotions...i had a guy share with me once before that when those feelings come to remember, it's just a feeling and it will pass! If you act upon that feeling and take those pills then guess what, you just reset the whole process. It does get easier my friend!

Is there something, anything you can do, other than take the pills, that will change your moods? Call a friend in recovery, go for a walk...something!

YOU can do this!
Old 08-02-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Posting before is definitely better than afterwards!!

You can get through this, is there anything you can do to take your mind off things, something to keep you busy?!!
Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FusterCluck View Post

Currently on day 8 and mentally feeling flat, depressed and joyless.

Got no one to speak to about this and feel like I'm gonna crack ��
8 days is a lot to just throw away

I will contact you

Bob
Old 08-02-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your input/warmth. I got through the cravings with deep breathing, some reading, some sleeping and especially your support. Still clean, so very relieved and feeling thankful!

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Hey FC
Great job posting. Sorry to hear you are struggling.
I found AVRT to be a very helpful method to understand and 'control' urges and temptations. Have you ever looked into to it, there is a lot of info on it in the secular forum here.
Thank you and yes I am reading up on it, makes a lot of sense! Ordered the book as well.

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Sorry you're feeling tempted, it's an awful feeling! Is there any way she can just flush them? (sorry if you've already explained why this isn't an option). I mean, I know when we really decide to imbibe, we can find a way.. but if it wasn't RIGHT THERE, and a virtual non-option you might feel a little less anxious about it.
Thank you. It seems she hid them well as when I spoke to her later about the cravings and my potential search, she said, "you have NO chance of finding them." She needs them herself for long-term recurrent sciatica, you see.

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
WHY are you feeling depressed, flat and joyless?
I think it's a combination of twenty years of chemical abuse and now nothing hitting the reward centers of my brain, clinical depression and my Prozac prescription not working as it should, yet.

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
8 days is a lot to just throw away

I will contact you

Bob
Message received, replied to and so appreciative for you taking the time to help me.

Hope that as I progressively get better I can give more to this forum than I am currently.

FC
Old 08-02-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Glad to hear
You got this
Old 08-02-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Fustercluck, your username rocks! Lol. I got off pain pills a while back and honestly it's the hardest addiction I've EVER dealt with. The depression and cravings seem to last forever. In my opinion it was harder than alcohol. (Even though I'm still early with kicking drinking) I was already a heavy drinker but I didn't become a daily drinker until I got off pills cause I felt so lost without them I was trying to numb that pain, but made it way worse. the physical W/D was pure hell and lasted a week, then when that's gone is weeks and weeks of fatigue, anxiety and that feeling like "if I just had 1" Ugh. Anyway, enough with the negativity lol. After a month you'll feel so much better, it DOES eventually go away. Hope you can hang in there and kick the pills, stay strong and just remember that horrible withdrawal, its not worth it!!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting through this! I hope that you will begin to feel better and more positive soon.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey FC. You remind me of this other guy that posted not long ago:

Originally Posted by FusterCluck View Post
I got home from work on Friday evening, filled with positivity from ten days of soberness. That soon changed. For some reason as I sat in the garden with my wife, I made the utterly bizarre decision to ‘treat myself’ for my sobriety by getting high. How messed up is that? Then somehow, after twenty minutes of tortured mental gymnastics, I managed to justify it to myself by saying that “this will just be a slip not a fall”. In other words it would be a one-off session of opiate fun and not me going back to the usual get high whenever possible routine.

I took my wife’s prescription to the pharmacy, got 60 x 30mg DHC (Dihydrocodeine) and then sat in the car park swallowing tablets and drinking diet coke. Classy. I took 9 tablets, so a total of 270mg, and then went home and spent the evening with my family feeling blessed out and drinking beers to maximize the buzz. Every time my mind told me to feel guilty, I blocked it with the, “this is a slip not a fall” line. That worked to keep the negative thoughts at bay for a while, but as the evening wore on and the drugs wore off I grew more and more down. Ten days of sobriety wasted for a little ‘treat’.

At about midnight I fell asleep on the sofa downstairs and my wife must have covered me with a blanket and gone to bed. I woke in the middle of the night needing the toilet and as I stood up, I noticed a sense of feeling a bit woozy and anxious. As I walked across the room, these feelings accelerated rapidly and within ten minutes or so I ended up having a full blown panic attack, laid on the floor of a dark room in the recovery position and feeling like I was dying. It was fairly brutal and took a long time, and lots of mindful breathing, to finally recede.

The following day I felt truly awful with what I call an opiate hangover. Irritable, moody, lifeless, no motivation and repeat waves of shame for letting myself, my family and all of you down. What a truly kingsize fool I really am. Oh, and just to prove my level of foolishness, I spent many minutes/hours on Saturday and Sunday thinking about getting more tablets from the medicine cupboard and swallowing them, just to ‘help me get through the negative feelings’. I’m happy to say that I did not succumb again and my addictive voice has quietened a bit today, thankfully.

I’m writing this sat at my desk at work and wishing my weekend had been different and not wasted by my own weakness and chemical addictions. Feeling down

Anyway, today is day-3 for me again and I’m trying again

Hoping you are all well and life is being kind to you.

Cheers, FC

Why don't you print this out and stick it on the fridge?
Old 08-02-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

Fustercluck, I'm so glad you got through it! Remember what you did this time, and next time you'll be able to use this experience as a tool. Every day you get through adds strength!