Notices

Career advice for recovering alcoholics

Old 08-02-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Career advice for recovering alcoholics

I had an "anniversary" on Tuesday; I've been sober for 8 months. The first few months were pretty excruciating because I did it all on my own. I didn't go to AA, and I only told a handful of people (they were all quite thrilled, and they all said they were really worried about me.) Now, I look better, I feel better, and not being drunk all the time has become the norm for me. I gradually obsessed about alcohol less and less, and now I hardly think about it at all. I've gotten through social situations where everyone was drinking except me, including Christmas, New Years, and one time when a drunk friend was REALLY insistent that I drink with him. I'm not in the clear completely--I don't think I'll ever be--but I got through the nasty early months.

Having said that, I'm still here, and I'm not really thriving as a sober person. I'm still working in a crappy job where even my supervisors are younger than I am. A few years ago, I had to close a small business because I just couldn't hold it together enough to run it. The business didn't give me any hard skills an employer would appreciate, and none of my former clients would give me a good reference if I asked--only their secretaries, many of whom were former drinking buddies, would breathe a positive syllable about me. I drank through my first year at my current job, but I was enough of a functional alcoholic to hide it from everyone (my performance did improve when I quit, and everyone thought I lost weight, lol.) My work history is spotty, my network is small, and the only selling points I have are semi-passable-as-a-professional people skills and an ancient, dusty college degree that's gathering cobwebs. The party was way too fun to let it be interrupted by a career, but the party is over.

I know I'm not the first person to experience this, but I, personally, don't know anyone that has. Is there anyone in this forum that went through this and ultimately had a normal life after giving up the sauce? And if you have, what the hell am I supposed to do next? Should I just give up and stay in an unskilled, just-above-minimum-wage job? I definitely don't want to be a counselor--I just thought I'd throw that out there, lol. This is the only place I could think of to turn to, so I apologize if this is the 1000th time this question has been asked in this community.

Thank you all so much in advance!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SlowLane

could you add some more study to that dusty college degree?

D
Old 08-02-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dee. Tuition has gone way up and I'm not sure if more schooling automatically means more income, but yes, the fall term at the community colleges is coming up pretty soon. I won't lie... I'm not where I thought I'd be at my age, and I'm secretly freaking out below the surface, lol.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not American and my working life wasn't in private enterprise so there's no more advice I can offer really - I just thought more qualifications might help balance the lack of references.

Hope some of the other guys here might have better suggestions

D