Notices

Sorry for having a lapse of reason.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sorry for having a lapse of reason.

Ok I'll be the first to admit when I am wrong. That once a month idea, well it is kind of ridiculous. It just seems the part of my brain that wants to drink will try whatever it takes to get something out of me. I'm sorry everyone. Let's forget I had that stupid idea.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone had those kind of ideas Ratso.

I thought if I drank water in between each beer I'd be ok. Failed.

If I switched to wine I'd be ok. Failed.

If I ate well first I'd be ok...Failed.

If I was stoned I wouldn't want to drink as much. Big Fail.

et cetera et cetera...

There's nothing you said here that I and others haven't thought either Ratso.

You're in good company...don't sweat it

D
Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ratsorizzo

Yeah, wrote the book on that... The same as what Dee said... I tried the wine thing but always ended back on Vodka.. Got to bash it in to my head NO WINE. You're in good company.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ratsorizzo,

That's totally normal thinking when trying to get sober. Once a month worked great for me just as long as it lasted about 30 days. It is necessary to smash whatever doubts or reservations you have about whether you have a problem or not - sobriety is not a sometime kind of thing for me, it just never worked that way.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good to have you here. Keep on posting
Old 07-31-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
xuse

Been there friend.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not to worry Ratsorizzo!! Great to have you here!!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

It's all or nothing with me. One drink turns into a half a bottle, then it's well I'll just finish the bottle and stop, then it's off to the liquor store for the second bottle.... and the third... and the fourth... and so on and so on. Ugh!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hear ya Ratso. Good to hear you've come to your senses. Controlled moderation, in one form or another, is every alcoholic's master plan. Like mad scientists, we continue to tinker and try and devise ways to keep alcohol in our lives. The mere fact that we try so hard and devote so much time to the task is itself a red flag.

As for myself, yep, I tried a lot of the ones Dee mentioned. Switch from beer to wine. Switch from wine to vodka. Drink craft beers only. Mix booze with gatorade to stay hydrated. The list goes on and on.

You can get sober, welcome aboard and looking forward to having you around.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it is great that you post your experience and thoughts on here; that is how we all figure things out! Right, wrong, crazy, etc....everything makes sense to post. (As long as it isn't hurtful to someone else). Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you stayed!!!! I went through all that as well!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you decided to stick around. Sorting through thoughts like that is a huge step toward sobriety.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting. It brought back some crazy memories for me. I also tried a lot of things to keep alcohol in my life. None of them worked. I don't want alcohol in my life, that works.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ratso, glad you are here. As you can already attest to, a ton of support and passion reside within the SR family. We all mean well and ultimately have the same common goal... To beat our addictions!!

Welcome and best of luck. We are here for each other.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are in good company. I think we have all wished that we could limit ourselves and somehow still keep alcohol around for "special occassions" or something. Sometimes I feel so ANGRY, really fursiously angry that I can't just drink like a normal person, within reason. I LOVE wine, I love the taste, the smell, I love picking out the right wine for a wonderful meal I spend hours cooking. But I am also happy to down 2 or more bottles of cheap cooking wine if it is all I have around. I just cannot control myself. It makes me angry, but being angry has done nothing to stop me from drinking beyond control so I just have to stop and it sounds like you do too despite your anger and sadness (I have a lot of sadness about never being able to drink again too, I hope that goes away after time) about this fact. I am only on day 2 of my latest attempt, no expert here, but I wish you well and hope you find your path.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Ratsorizzo View Post
It just seems the part of my brain that wants to drink will try whatever it takes to get something out of me.
Yup. It offers a deal, and we like deals. Deals seem reasonable to us. The problem is you're trying to make a deal with a liar. You think you have a deal, but you don't. The negotiation is never final with that AV. it doesn't comprehend sometimes. Never, however, makes it recoil in fear.

Try it. Say to yourself, I will never drink again and feel the pit of your stomach drop out. That's your addiction reacting to the thought of never.

It's a liar and a thief and a killer. Starve it.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Glad you're here! Just a few weeks ago, while drunk, I was saying to myself sort of the same thing. I said special occasions. Then special occasions occurred daily (in my mind they did)!

Just imagine the bragging rights you'll get when you are sober! It's okay to be proud of how long you're sober! Enjoy it!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hope we didn't come down too hard on you, Ratsorizzo. Tone aside, almost everyone that posts here (if they are not asking for help) is motivated by a desire to help. And given the amount of experience that SR members have, I have learned to listen carefully to their advice. It has helped me remain sober for the last 11 months.

Welcome aboard the sober bus. I hope you have a long and rewarding ride.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ratsorizzo View Post

It just seems the part of my brain that wants to drink will try whatever it takes to get something out of me.
seems that when we are young we have the pride thing going big-time
then as we get older
we see where self deception has played out all so often in our lives
yes - there he is
that's the guy that I need to keep an eye on

Mountainman
Old 07-31-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

At least you know your in the right place man. We have all been there, some of us have even posted the same plans:-) You have love and support here, some will judge but know its always coming from a place of good intentions.

So what is your new plan?