Notices

Oh just so you all no ahead of time.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh just so you all no ahead of time.

I am going to be Alcohol free except one day of the month of my personal chioce, for "Family get togethers, fishing trips, etc "I hope that does not irk you to have a "Monthly Mayhemer" in here. Ahhhh I made a word!!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It doesn't irk me but honestly, I think you'll have trouble keeping to one day Ratso.

I tried all kinds of ways to keep alcohol in my life and the same bad stuff kept happening no matter what.

Everytime I took a drink I had no real idea where I would end up.

I eventually realised I was better off with no drinking at all.

D
Old 07-30-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Well, good luck with that.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I have gotten this far. I'm sure quitting one day a month won't be too hard. Is this works or breaks me I'll let you guys know. I'll be your guinea pig.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I personally don't need a guinea pig. I was my own guinea pig for years. If you can do it long term, then great. I just know I couldn't.

What if you have a family get together, a birthday, and a fishing trip all in the same month?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I might needs your help so best be around :P
Old 07-30-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ratso, believe me you're not the first to come up with this idea

I tried it all, man LOL.
I have decades of failed experiments.

Most of us have.

That's why most of us will try and persuade you it's not such a great idea

D
Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Ratsorizzo View Post
I might needs your help so best be around :P
We'll be here.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Ratsorizzo View Post
Well I have gotten this far. I'm sure quitting one day a month won't be too hard. Is this works or breaks me I'll let you guys know. I'll be your guinea pig.
Quitting one day a month or drinking one day a month??
Old 07-30-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wait, what? We can do that? I'm going to do that also! Let's see, I have 19 days sober, the most days of successive sobriety in over 5 years. So, let's see... I can drink one day a month, so that means I have to choose a day in the next 11-12 days.... Hmmm..... Well, I have a party this weekend, and a party NEXT weekend. Which one do I want to obliterate from my memory? I'll have to think about that... Oh, and also, which weekend will be my lucky weekend- so I don't kill someone with my car, because alcohol now makes me completely irresponsible and unreliable and of course, the BEST driver ever in my own mind, so I'll have to figure that out as well.... Oh, and I'm pretty sure I had better make sure I have the day after off from work because I'll be dealing with some great anxiety, shakes and probably depression from my awesome party- not to mention how I may also extend my partying to the next day just to "get my brain back" and then that may even turn into another day or two- so wait. Now that's four days- ugh. This math is getting complicated. I'm getting uptight just thinking about it all- I think maybe I'll just pass this month and see how I feel about it next month.

But that's just me. I know I couldn't do it. Be safe, Ratzo. Good luck with your experiment.

Lisa
Old 07-30-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did this. I told myself I just needed some relief once a month. If I could only do it once...I had full control of whatever came my way. Complete and total failure.

Then I told myself I'll only do it every three months. I couldn't make it three minutes.

My disease will trick me in every or any way possible. It's a disease of the mind.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That one special night only to drink was a bargain I made with myself a few times. Unfortunately, I could never keep it to that special occasion and it would morph into a 4-5 day, $1000 bender.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've tried that. I prayed I could do it-so I could just have one night per month to let loose. Just didn't work. One night lead to two, that lead to once a week. ..or maybe just weekends. ...but tuesday was a rough day at work. Then Thursday was too. And so on til I was back to square one. Walking around with hangovers too often. Best of luck to you-maybe it will work for you. ...but I couldn't do it.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Didn't work for me in the long run. But I sure tried. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The question you need to ask yourself is "why do I need to drink once a month?"
If the word 'need' is in any part of your answer, be alarmed.

I tried the once a month thing. it turned into twice a month, then three times a month, then the "event" lasted multiple days and so on. In no time at all I was drinking every day again.

I now realize this was just my way of rationalizing my desire to comsume alcohol and get drunk. I would give myself an inch and then take a mile, one inch at a time.

I hope it works out for you, but I assume since you are here, theres a good chance you have a drinking problem. People who don't have a problem don't need to give theirselves a limited number of days per month to allow themselves to drink.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All it takes is one night to lose everything. Embarrass yourself, **** of friends and family, hurt yourself falling, or doing a million other stupid things, losing keys/wallet/money/phone etc. you really want to wake up once a month feeling like a total loser, sick as a dog, shameful, and regretting the things you did/ said the night before? Even on the nights I considered a "good night out" aka nothing terrible happened, I still felt like **** about myself the next day, and it usually took a few days to feel back to normal. If I had to start over again EVERY month with the withdrawals and anxiety I would never stop! Hence, the cycle begins again. To each their own I guess, but planning for that hell and looking forward to it sounds terrible.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

P off friends and family lol
Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I find it interesting you had to announce it to us beforehand. I usually do this when I feel uncomfortable deep down so I want to tell others to get some reassurance. I mean if you really believed in this plan, would you not just have done it and told us about the stellar results?

Denial runs deep. I do wish you the best, honestly.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Even if you can pull off one day per month, that one day probably becomes a very combustible situation where you end up having 30 drinks and hate yourself in the morning for all of the awful things you did/said along with the hangover that makes you wish you were dead.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm with the others. Awhile back I thought maybe I could drink once a year or even once a month. Not anymore. I have to be a nondrinker. Hangover? No thank you. Blackout? No thanks. Just the thought of three days on the couch feeling like I am going to crawl right out of my skin makes me ill. Like the others said, when you don't have a drinking problem you don't have to plan one day a month.