Notices

Hi, newbie here

Old 07-30-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, newbie here

Hello All,

I am 32 and decided it is time to stop drinking. I didnt think I was drinking that much. Roughly 6 beers a day of less than 5% alcohol, but on weekends it was more. I didnt know I was drinking more than 6 a day until I really sat down and counted. I brew beer and keg it, so it is often not easy to track how much I drink.

So a few days ago I just decided it was time. What prompted me to do so, was a binge drinking weekend with some buddies. I just had a revelation that it just isnt good for me- duh! Anyways I had a complete metabolic panel done a few months back and all my liver counts were well within normal range so I am thankful for that.

Today is day 3 of a tapering schedule (tried cold turkey and got withdrawal symptoms). I have been drinking one beer less every night and am now down to 3 beers a day. Progress I guess. But last night I experienced some bad withdrawal symptoms. Splitting headache, feeling of crappiness, nausea, and just feeling down. Is this because of my tapering down? I thought tapering down would decrease my symptoms. I have also had twice a day of loose stools. I think I also may be losing weight. It might be due to the decreased caloric intake and maybe due to some lack of appetite.

I read Vit B complex is good for you as is L Glutamine so I plan on getting some of that tonight after work. Anyways just wanted to say hi, and just put it out there what I am going through. Today I feel a little better, but last night was horrible as were the days when I tried to stop cold turkey.

Thanks of listening.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome JRyan, glad you found SR. Great support here.

Best of luck to you!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering down will make your withdrawal symptoms last longer. And, tapering is really hard for alcoholics to stick to.

If you are concerned about withdrawals, do talk to your dr.

I'm glad you're planning to live a sober life.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Tapering down will make your withdrawal symptoms last longer. And, tapering is really hard for alcoholics to stick to.

If you are concerned about withdrawals, do talk to your dr.

I'm glad you're planning to live a sober life.
Yeah I kinda figured that. I thought that if you get help from your Dr then you are labeled and alcoholic and it gets out on your "permanent" record or whatever. Like it makes it harder to get jobs and get medical insurance? Maybe that is a false rumor?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have noticed that the worst withdrawal symptoms come around the same time every day. Maybe that is when the alcohol from the night before wears off from the tapering schedule?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Yeah I kinda figured that. I thought that if you get help from your Dr then you are labeled and alcoholic and it gets out on your "permanent" record or whatever. Like it makes it harder to get jobs and get medical insurance? Maybe that is a false rumor?
This is false, at least in the United States. Medical records are confidential between you and your doctor, it's illegal for other people to know that type of info
Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck jryan!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Jryan,

Welcome. I'm 32 also and got to the point where I realized I needed to stop. I had daily withdrawals too. Take those good liver panel results as a blessing. Mine were really high when I had them done awhile back.

You asked about feeling crappy and if that is related to the tapering. I never really tapered but there were days when I would drink less than normal if something unusual interrupted my drinking schedule, such as a family dinner or evening at the movie theater. I used to resent those events so much.

At the end, I felt crappy even on days I drank way less and the day after. I felt like crap all the time.

It's not easy to stop but it can be done. You can do it! I find life is more simple without the constant worry of keeping my 12 units of alcohol in the house at all times and resenting all evening plans other than being at home free to drink.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, you are making the right decision. Tapering can be tricky, you should maybe consult a doctor regarding withdrawal. There is no better time to quit for good than today though.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleFelix View Post
This is false, at least in the United States. Medical records are confidential between you and your doctor, it's illegal for other people to know that type of info
Insurance companies can access medical records and can refuse to insure or drop insurance based on an alcohol use disorder diagnosis. Any entity that pays any part of your medical payments, be it private insurance, social security, Medicare, Medicaid, disability, Dept of Veteran Affairs...all are legally able to access your medical records. Government bodies like child protective services, if you file for worker's comp, if you get in trouble with law enforcement, failing an employee drug test, your employer if they fund part of your healthcare. Nursing homes, rehab centers. Prescription databases can access all meds prescribed to you. The Medical Information Bureau. The government. This is in the US, I'm sure it's different in other countries.

According to the DSM-V, alcoholism is not curable, only treatable, so the Dx is lifelong once you get it. You may abstain, never touching another drink in your life, but the Dx remains.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum jryan!! It's great to have you here!!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome JRyan...nice to have you here on this very helpful site!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow thank you all for the support. So last night I said eff it and I didnt drink. I had an incredibly hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. I feel a little crappy today, but a cold shower and a light breakfast seem to be helping a little. I am also pounding pedialyte.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjuly View Post
Insurance companies can access medical records and can refuse to insure or drop insurance based on an alcohol use disorder diagnosis. Any entity that pays any part of your medical payments, be it private insurance, social security, Medicare, Medicaid, disability, Dept of Veteran Affairs...all are legally able to access your medical records. Government bodies like child protective services, if you file for worker's comp, if you get in trouble with law enforcement, failing an employee drug test, your employer if they fund part of your healthcare. Nursing homes, rehab centers. Prescription databases can access all meds prescribed to you. The Medical Information Bureau. The government. This is in the US, I'm sure it's different in other countries.

According to the DSM-V, alcoholism is not curable, only treatable, so the Dx is lifelong once you get it. You may abstain, never touching another drink in your life, but the Dx remains.
Yeah I was afraid of that. Well my doctor is a pretty cool guy, so maybe he might prescribe me something and just call it anxiety which I have gone through before.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

jryan, welcome!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Yeah I was afraid of that. Well my doctor is a pretty cool guy, so maybe he might prescribe me something and just call it anxiety which I have gone through before.
Exactly. And it really is anxiety deep down you know. For a lot of us. I did try things like L-Glutamine and Vit B and etc but they never worked. I also tried Sobrexa. Kudzu root. I still have lots of that stuff but it really couldn't stop me drinking. I was a tough case!

What did work my first week was juicing veggies. Lots of veggie juice. There is a movie called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" if you want to see someone who did it. I am not doing it for a month or anything, but I have a really good juicer like the guy in the movie and I juice all sorts of healthy veggies - the kinds I would never EAT in a million years, lol.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't let that fear stop you from seeking help from a professional, if you think you need and want to. If it were me and I were fearful of that, I would be honest with my doctor and tell him/her exactly that.

Here is some information on medical records and permissions: Your Medical Records.

Welcome!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjuly View Post
Exactly. And it really is anxiety deep down you know. For a lot of us. I did try things like L-Glutamine and Vit B and etc but they never worked. I also tried Sobrexa. Kudzu root. I still have lots of that stuff but it really couldn't stop me drinking. I was a tough case!

What did work my first week was juicing veggies. Lots of veggie juice. There is a movie called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" if you want to see someone who did it. I am not doing it for a month or anything, but I have a really good juicer like the guy in the movie and I juice all sorts of healthy veggies - the kinds I would never EAT in a million years, lol.
I have read that veggies do help! I ate a few more than usual last night. Maybe juicing them will help with the taste. BLECH!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi, fellow former (touch wood) beer drinker here. I only have five days so don't know much, but I can offer a tiny bit of advice.

Beer really messes up your digestive tract and gets all the bacteria out of whack. I've been taking a probiotic pill every morning first thing with water and it really helps to get everything straight.

Another thing that helps is cold seltzer in the evening. It doesn't get you buzzed, but it is a pretty fair replacement for the feeling of a cold can or glass in your hand and fizzy stuff going down your throat. I've been putting away 3-4 of those a night.

Good luck.