Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How do I make today the last day I drank? So many false starts...

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi..just that really. I managed 4 months drink free at the start of this year, but with some alcohol counselling. That would be hard to arrange again because I work In addictions and it was a one off offer. I am on my own with two lovely young children. So so many times have been the last night that I promised myself I would drink, since I slipped back. I function quite well, but I take stupid risks and have put on a lot of weight. Please does anyone have words of inspiration or experience, anything? Thanks in advance
Old 07-30-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If counseling worked, i'd seek it again regardless of what area you work in. Try calling the clinic or doctor you worked with before and just ask what your options are.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Dippy,

I'm only a week in to this attempt, so certainly no expert, but I feel different this time. I feel that I just cannot live that way anymore, not daily drinking but binges then spending days getting over it, hurting people I love, suffering terrible anxiety simply due to drinking too much. I simply can't live like that anymore or go through any of that again, I'm done with it.

Not sure if this helps at all, but maybe if you can just get to feeling that you can't live like that anymore, that you want the lovely sober life more than the drinking life.

This is probably no help, sorry..... just what's working for me this time.

I wish you well. And well done on the 4 months you had.....that proves that you can do this.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks...well done on your week..I felt like I couldn't live like that and it helped me stop..but complacency crept in and this time I'm drinking as much but the hangovers don't seem as bad. ( my waistline us worse though!). I think I redound a lot of list confidence in those sober months, but I can't risk getting as low again. I don't want to reach rock bottom..so I have to do it this time..x
Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Thanks...well done on your week..I felt like I couldn't live like that and it helped me stop..but complacency crept in and this time I'm drinking as much but the hangovers don't seem as bad. ( my waistline us worse though!). I think I redound a lot of list confidence in those sober months, but I can't risk getting as low again. I don't want to reach rock bottom..so I have to do it this time..x
Thanks, Dippy. Yep, I will need to be careful that complacency doesn't set in further down the line.

You can do this, I'm sure of it.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me it was all about keeping it simple, not drinking this hour, stringing a few hours together and that gave me my first day, but support to get me through was important!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You cannot hope for it to happen, you have to make sobriety happen. Nobody is forcing you to drink.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Dippy. You can make the decision to change today, right now... a change for the better for you and your kids.

You have 4 months drink free, so you know how to do this. My wast line took a toll when i was drinking heavily too, so did my red face, puffy eyes, and all-around tired looking body.

That all changed when I started to string together some sober time. I've made the decision to change for good. I'm only 24 days in but we all start at day 1. I've lost weight, no longer have a bright red complexion and look generally healthier... As you know the easy way out is to pick up the drink again tonight, and again tomorrow, etc. But in doing so, you will never be who you are capable of being.

Make the decision today and stick to it; you will feel better tomorrow and as each day passes.

Best of luck!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck to you. I am just finishing up my first day of sobriety here and am only trying to focus on making it through portions of the day, not thinking about the rest of my life. I get so overwhelmed and well, if I'm honest, sad, about thinking about never drinking again. But I know that once I am more clear headed I will come to be less sad. So for now I just try to make it until after lunch, then I think about from lunch to dinner which I my most difficult period, then I just need to make it to bed.
I also have two young children and they are a great motivation for me to get my stuff together before I slip any further towards rock bottom.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

How do I make today the last day I drank?
I'll give the obvious answer - don't drink again!

I stopped drinking hundreds of times. I only started living sober once. It made a huge difference. Make a list of the top five things you'd like to do today. Put drinking at the top of the list. Then cross it off and do the other four!

Find your happy sober life. It's out there.

You can do this.