Broken Open

Old 07-30-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broken Open

Broken Open is a book written by Elizabeth Lesser that helped me get through the demise of my first marriage.

One quote that I read over and over to give me strength...

“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” -Anaïs Nin

I'm trying to blossom again. It's scary. I wish someone would tell me what to do (even though I know that's not gonna happen and it's not the right thing anyways).

I need to find my own way. One Day at a Time...I struggle with this but am working on it.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Big hugs to you, bud.

I can relate to what you're saying.
I'm going through another layer of the onion that's recovery and I've had a pretty rough go of it in the past few weeks.
Last night, my husband said to me, "Do you know what I wish? I wish I could give you a year. A full year of not having to work. A full year so that you could just focus on taking care of yourself, building yourself back up, body and soul, and finding the peace where you could know where to go next, what you want to do with your life, and the strength to believe that you can make it happen."

That's where I'm at. I'm removed from alcoholism. But I'm still not sure what the next step is. It's not that I'm afraid to blossom. It's just like I don't know how.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just thought of another thing that sort of relates to this. I'll try to retell it in my own words because I can't find the quote right now:

Life grows from the inside. Look at a bird's egg. If you crack it open from the outside, the life inside will die. If you keep it warm, treat it with care, and let the life inside pick its way out when it's ready, it will do so when the time is right, and it will live and grow.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yensid/lilamy - Have you read Gift from the Sea? It is a good one for any woman trying to grow and focus on ourselves when everyone/thing is vying for our attention. I have a great book list that helped me the though divorce of my 20 Ur marriage - not alcohol related - and also other books more about wellness and self, not related to divorce. Let me know if you would like me to share. Reading and journaling have been my main coping strategies for all life's challenges, on top of an awesome therapist .
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yensid, each day is a petal. You will flourish.