Notices

Believe in Karma?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Believe in Karma?

Wife and I have had some interesting conversations since last week when I mentioned I got a DUI. She thinks it's karma for this to happen as a wake up call for me to not drink...I agree, but I don't believe in karma. Does anyone else?

From my previous posts I mentioned the line of one thing after the next taking place with my family and I the past 1 1/2 years. This obviously is going to be another huge financial burden for us as I'm currently out of work since mid June and was denied unemployment. We had this conversation maybe 6 weeks ago about the very same issue DUI etc. I know it's serious and I wish it never happened, but can't change a thing now. I haven't drank since and I've told her that was it. The list I posted the other day as to all the good things drinking brought to me (sarcasm) really opened my eyes, but she says well I've heard this before. Kind of discouraging but shes right. I mean I know all the bs I've put her through with this crap, but with all that I (we) have going on right now drinking is the last thing on my mind.

Just whatever I guess....been so down and discouraged lately about a lot of things (DUI was the last of a long line of BS) =shrugs=

Who knows anymore
Old 07-29-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't believe in karma, but I believe in something so close it might as well be true. I don't believe in guarantees. However, we are creatures of habit and if you build positive habits - things will likely work out for you and if you build reckless habits things likely won't work out for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do believe in karma, however i think you have the power to control it. What do you expect her to say? Dont make promises to her you cannot keep, prove it long term through your actions. I also would do anything in my power so my family would not have to pay for your mistake. Mow yards, push carts, scrub fences, whatever you need to do to right a wrong.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I totally believe in karma, I won't get into the whole spiritual reason why. Hang in there, think happy thoughts! Hopefully the good karma is coming your way now!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also believe in karma and I also believe in actions speak louder than words. So here's your chance to prove it to your wife. I hope your financial situation will improve quickly. Good luck and we are here for you!😃
Old 07-29-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I do believe in karma, however i think you have the power to control it. What do you expect her to say? Dont make promises to her you cannot keep, prove it long term through your actions. I also would do anything in my power so my family would not have to pay for your mistake. Mow yards, push carts, scrub fences, whatever you need to do to right a wrong.
For sure...those promises I'm sure like the rest of us are ones that we tried to keep every way possible. No excuses, so yea you're right. Believe you me...I'am doing everything I can. Job interviews, recruiters, I have an early morning tomorrow with a hiring agency, and then a video conference interview which is my 2nd.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

IMO, getting a DUI for drinking and driving is a consequence of your actions...not karma. Know what I mean?

If I get arrested for shooting my neighbor's dog is that bad karma? If you drank and drove a hundred times and never got caught but then your child was hit and killed by a drunk driver...I'm thinking that is more like karma...no?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
IMO, getting a DUI for drinking and driving is a consequence of your actions...not karma. Know what I mean?

If I get arrested for shooting my neighbor's dog is that bad karma? If you drank and drove a hundred times and never got caught but then your child was hit and killed by a drunk driver...I'm thinking that is more like karma...no?
Oh for sure I know it's a product of my own actions. I mean the details of that whole situation could've been completely avoided, but like the idiot I was drinking on an early Tuesday afternoon with nothing else to do I'm now paying the price. I'll never deny I did something wrong. I've always and always admit if/when I'm wrong, and this time is the bottom of the barrell. I've been reading a lot on here that "Life doesn't give us more than we can handle" or "God doesnt give us more than we can handle" depending on what you believe in I guess.

Hmmm, been thinking about that. If that is really the case....why?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been reading a lot on here that "Life doesn't give us more than we can handle" or "God doesnt give us more than we can handle" depending on what you believe in I guess.
I don't take that literally. No offence to anyone or anyone's beliefs but me? I figure God's got better things to do than to test Dee74.

That's not to say I haven't faced some very testing times in my life, both before and after I got sober.

I figure thats life - it's part of the human experience. I do believe such times are opportunities for growth.

So far...I've gotten through all those challenges - often the outcome wasn't what I wanted....but that's another story

D
Old 07-30-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I believe that i create and influence the emotional energy around me. Over the past 4 months, i have discovered that i am in control of my emotions. Complete control. I no longer have to react to other people's emotional influence. Instead, i create peace, serenity and happiness in the world around me. I do this by living in that same peace, serenity and happiness. When confronted with negative emotions, i now get to decide on how i will let those emotions influence my soul. I have had moments of anger and frustration but they have been few and fleeting. I no longer have to give myself and my serenity over to negativity. Instead, i see how this negativity is something that exists only if i allow it to and i let it go. And it freaking goes away!!!!

I suppose i believe in karma because i believe that if you live a life that is focused on being an agent of peace and joy, you will create peace and joy around you. When you give in to negativity and chaos, you will create more negativity and chaos around you. Live the life you want to live. Be honest, do not try to justify anger or resentment, understand that no one can make you upset. Only you have the power to do that and only you have the power to let it go. You cannot let go of anger and resentment if you justify it. What good does righteous anger do YOU? It is still anger and anger is an emotion that you create and that you can let go. Only you. Sadness is an emotion that we create and we can let go. We create the emotion of elation and we can let it go. Feel all emotions and let them go. Let anger, fear, indignation, pride and other negative emotions go when you recognize them and the harm they do to your soul and the potential harm they can do in your environment if you allow them to manifest in it. Let sadness come, let it exist and let it wash away from you. Let it go. Let exuberance, elation, giddiness and other highly emotional joys come and let them go. Let them leave you washed clean of excess energy and let an ambient, gentle joy and contentment settle into your life. Emotions flow like a river. There are rapids and eddies, backwaters and pools. The river runs high and wild, the river runs low and laboriously. Eventually, the river always returns to being the river, changed by the events in it's long life but always being true to simply being a river.

Karma isn't a scorecard where we mark down our virtuous moments against our sinful moments and wait for the universe to either reward or punish us. Karma is something we build around ourselves by the actions we take and the actions we take are influenced by our emotions and our emotions can either come from reactions we have to people, places and things or they can be what we want them to be, so long as our emotions are true to ourselves and we are not trying to force something unnatural to be natural. I believe that every person in the world is seeking peace and serenity. I believe that the key to peace and serenity is the ability to let our emotions flow through us. For me, i believe that my emotions flow through me and the ones that i do not wish to hold on to, i send to my higher power to deal with them as it will. I seek not to live in joy or happiness or pain or sorrow or even in the middle. I do not seek. I live peacefully and in acceptance of life. Acceptance is my path to serenity. Every day, i strive to accept and let the peace that brings flow throughout my life. That is my karma and i have seen it work and i believe this to be true for me.

However, i don't always get it right.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not a great believer in very much!!

But I do believe if you sort out your drinking then DUIs won't happen!!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just saw something on Karma the other day. I am not sure if these are true or not, I guess it depends if you believe in Karma. You can call it Karma or God or whatever but it seems more like common sense to me.

1. THE GREAT LAW

- “As you sow, so shall you reap”. This is also known as the “Law of Cause and Effect”.

So yes. Cause and effect. You drank, you drove, you got a DUI. Sounds about right.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getright15 View Post
I was drinking on an early Tuesday afternoon with nothing else to do I'm now paying the price. I'll never deny I did something wrong. I've always and always admit if/when I'm wrong, and this time is the bottom of the barrell.
You are asking questions about karma, god's will, etc...

The real question is: when have you had enough of this crap? You're drinking during the daylight hours on weekdays. Your family is worried. You're in trouble with the law with your DUI. You're putting yourself in danger.

Admitting you did something wrong won't get you out of this personal crisis. You mentioned the words "bottom of the barrel"....how much further down are you willing to go? Because from where you're sitting, if you continue, I'm pretty sure it's not going to get better.

Good luck, hope you can start getting a plan together and quit the alcohol. It's not easy, but it's a lot easier than jail time, hospital bills, and putting yourself through this pain.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
I'm not a great believer in very much!!

But I do believe if you sort out your drinking then DUIs won't happen!!
Yea, by not drinking at all I wont have to worry about that happening again. One thing about Vegas which is where I live there is always something going on. I dont care if my wife drinks when we go out and I dont, but its just always something to do living out here.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of our Mods DesertEyes knows Vegas very well.
There's a very active AA network out there

D
Old 07-30-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Absolutely believe in Karma!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
You are asking questions about karma, god's will, etc...

The real question is: when have you had enough of this crap? You're drinking during the daylight hours on weekdays. Your family is worried. You're in trouble with the law with your DUI. You're putting yourself in danger.

Admitting you did something wrong won't get you out of this personal crisis. You mentioned the words "bottom of the barrel"....how much further down are you willing to go? Because from where you're sitting, if you continue, I'm pretty sure it's not going to get better.

Good luck, hope you can start getting a plan together and quit the alcohol. It's not easy, but it's a lot easier than jail time, hospital bills, and putting yourself through this pain.
No doubt I know what I need to do and get my act right. It took a serious issue to get me to look at my life and see where its headed.I have a plan...dont drink. Workiing so fars so let the train keep on pushing
Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'd straight believe the DUI is some kind of sign that you should stop drinking now. It happened to me twice and I wonder why I didn't learn then. It would have been the best to just learn then and avoid the misery that followed.

Karma is interesting. I don't understand what it means and somehow view it as a superiorly vast term that cannot be described easily? But I don't believe in that traditional karma where you have to be overly cautious and on guard all the time with your feelings and actions. It might still be karma. Maybe karma is everything that is, and this place is a school. If it is neither positive nor negative. Beyond any punishment... then I guess it sounds about right? Really interesting this.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Have a plan in addition to "don't drink." When my plan was only "don't drink" without anything else in place it wasn't very successful. You said you got you DUI on a Tuesday afternoon when you had nothing to do. Idle time is bad for alcoholics. We like to fill that time with drinking. We feel nothing is going our way. We drink. We're broke, we drink. We have stress at home, we drink.

You can do this. I am most vulnerable when I have no structure to my day. Maybe plan your day out from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed. If you aren't working maybe now is the time to look into volunteer opportunities. Someone is always looking for help and it is a way to do something good and get out of yourself and out of your head. Sometimes job opportunities come up that way.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

I believe I shouldn't drive my karma if I am drunkma