Notices

very mild withdrawal symptoms

Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

very mild withdrawal symptoms

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on this site. I come seeking advice for my alcohol problem. I've been drinking for 3 years, moderately for about 1.75 of that. In the last year or so my drinking has become heavier. On average over the last year I had about 20-30 drinks a week, almost always beer. Over this time period I drank approximately 4-5 nights a week on average. Rarely "drinking too much." however recently I had about 25 drinks is a period of three days. After this binge I woke up with the shakes and have had them for around a month. I've drank ten beers the whole month (never more than 2 in one sitting) yet my hands are still shaky. I have never felt out of control with my drinking (like after I have one I can't stop). However, it seems to me like the symptoms that I have are from alcoholism (very light shakes/mild anxiety). Does this mean that I'm a full blown alcoholic? Would appreciate any advice you all have to offer. Thanks to all of you.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello,
We don't offer medical advice here, so I'd talk to your GP but the definition of an alcoholic is pretty broad! I consider myself an alcoholic in that when I start drinking, I find it very difficult to stop, regardless of the consequences. Other people on this site will have different experiences.
If you are worried, your GP could be an amazing resource. My doctor actually got me into out-patient treatment so I really recommend communicating with them!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Symptoms vary from person to person which is why you should probably talk to your dr if you're concerned.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ryan!!

If your drinking is starting to creep up on you in terms of always needing it and the body developing a dependence on it then it might be time to make a few changes, only you can tell if alcohol is starting to affect your life.

For me when I constantly started to worry about my drinking, I knew something wasn't right!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! It's great to have you here!!
Old 07-30-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I haven't had a beer n five days and I'm still a bit shaky. Never experienced any headaches, vomiting, or other more severe symptoms, just shaky. I've only had moderate cravings to drink a few times during those five days. As I posted yesterday I have drank socially within the last month three or four times and haven't had any problems with drinking too much, or feeling like I can't stop. With that said, I'm stopping drinking for at least the next two months, if not forever. I feel as if mild symptoms of withdrawal are enough to, at the very least, make some changes in my views on alcohol. I hope you all are doing well with you own struggles. If any of you need prayer let me know.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How are you eating? Are you eating a healthy diet? Less fatty foods, and more lean meats and veggies and brown rice? Today has been a learning experience for me. Just joined and it seems like diet does help people. I would imagine that withdrawal symptoms will only get more intense with the longer that you drink everyday which seems to be a thing of the past for you. That being said maybe it is best to not drink at all?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what that could be from. Your amount may be a little on the heavy side, but you're not an alcoholic. Maybe a doctor visit could help. Wish you the best.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Jryan19, I eat two to three meals every day, which is my normal amount, however, I wouldn't say I have the healthiest diet. I have never been a daily drinker, just a frequent drinker, meaning anywhere from 4-6 days a week, mostly 4 rarely 6. And you're right it seems best not to drink at all.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
Hey Jryan19, I eat two to three meals every day, which is my normal amount, however, I wouldn't say I have the healthiest diet. I have never been a daily drinker, just a frequent drinker, meaning anywhere from 4-6 days a week, mostly 4 rarely 6. And you're right it seems best not to drink at all.
From what I have read, and keep in mind that I am still new to this, that even in the amount that you drink the alcohol is depriving your body of vital nutrients. I drink about the same as you do, maybe a little more, but I would consider myself and alcoholic. It is recommended that men drink no more than 15 drinks a weeks. I am well over that amount but I am working on it. Anyways back to the diet, vitamin B supplements might help you out some, as would just a generally more nutritious diet. Try adding a few more vegetables to your diet or maybe some more whole grains. I thought a tapering schedule would do me good, but I think a visit to the Dr might be a better way to go to maybe get a little medicinal help to overcome this.

Remember that even though alcohol is legal, the reason why you get drunk or buzzed is because it is a poison.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days! Shakes are normal for most and will subside. Best wishes on staying sober--'tis the only way to keep from having a much bigger problem.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jason2 View Post
Your amount may be a little on the heavy side, but you're not an alcoholic.
All due respect jason2 but:

"On average over the last year I had about 20-30 drinks a week, almost always beer. Over this time period I drank approximately 4-5 nights a week on average."

that's averaging 1300 beers in a year

and:

"however recently I had about 25 drinks is a period of three days. After this binge I woke up with the shakes and have had them for around a month."

sounds like delirium tremens which is serious - as much as I drank I never got the DTs. Everyone handles alcohol differently but I think getting DTs means you really need to stop.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi soberjuly, I don't think I'm experiencing the dt's. I've read up on symptoms of the dt's and it involves confusion, convulsions, hallucinations and the like. I haven't experienced any of those things just a slight feeling of constant shakiness bad some mild anxiety. Jason2 as much as I would lo e to agree with you, I can't see any other reason I would hq e these symptoms. I'm 25, and besides having what seems to me like a drinking problem I'm a health guy, in relatively good physical shape. I think I'm going to see my doctor next week, so hopefully he will be able to help and give me some recommendations.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let remember guys, none of us are doctors, or shouldn't be posting as doctors.

Here is the SR medical advice rule in full....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
There is a line between sharing our experiences and giving specific advice on what may be wrong, and what specific drugs and treatments may help.

I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and diagnosing others may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

We are a peer support group here. We simply cannot give medical advice. You need to see a medical professional for that.

Thanks for your understanding

Dee
SR
Old 07-30-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a good idea to see your doc Ryan

D
Old 07-31-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That doesn't sound like DTs to me either. But if you are still shaky you need to see a Dr.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A number of things could cause shakes and not just alcohol. I'm sure your GP will fix this for you.

Welcome to SR Ryan.