Notices

Why?

Old 07-29-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why?

Why do we want to drink when we are Hungry Angry Lonely or Tired? (Add stressed or anxious to that for me)

I'm exhausted today. Didn't sleep well last night. Worked hard all day. What do I want to do? Take a nap??? NO! Drink!!! (But I didn't)

I was hungry earlier. It dawned on me that I hadn't eaten all day. Is that why I was having a craving to drink? WHAT?!? Humans need food??? Duh!

I was stressed today too. Nothing major, just mild stuff. My first thought..."a drink would make this better!"

Thoughts? Especially the hungry and tired stuff.

Who the heck invented alcohol anyway? Crazy bastards. Haha. (Not really laughing). I do seriously wish it didn't exist though. But we'd probably find something else to be addicted to, right? :-/

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-29-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Because we are addicts. If we knew why, we could probably figure out how to fix it too, and maybe someday we (humanity) will. But in the meantime we have to accept it and work on living with it.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I frame it like this: being addicted means part of my brain sees alcohol as the solution to every issue.
Hungry? Drink
Angry? Drink
Lonely? Drink
Tired? Drink
Sad? Drink
Happy? Drink
Bored? Drink

It's like a reflex. I just have to engage my cognitive power to think past the reflex and act properly, not react improperly.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

By the end I drank in response to almost every stimuli serenidad. It will get better.

D
Old 07-29-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't skip meals as you are more likely to drink, your body craves sugar.

When you are tired your body wants instant energy (sugar in alcohol).
Old 07-29-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow! Had no idea Aborkie! Thx!

Old 07-29-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have no idea why H.A.L.T times make me far more vulnerable to cravings..they just do. I am thankful that I have in the past remembered to pause and consider if I am in fact hungry, angry, lonely or tired when a craving seems to pop up "seemingly" out of nowhere. One of these is often the culprit....
When I gave up 4 months of sobriety last year..I know "lonelieness" had been nipping at my heels for a great while..then I got a blast of the other three ...no, maybe a punch in the face with the other three...and I lost a battle.

More ammo this time...more forcing myself out of my little world...
Speaking of which...gotta run.

Keep on keeping on Serindad.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whether you go to AA meetings or not, H.A.L.T. is very much a credible and on the money guarantee that you will want to drink (me!)

Hungry, your tum is empty and your blood surgar is messed...
Angry, when you're pizzed off, you will be more likely to be impulsive...
Lonely, well, since my last divorce 7 years ago, that's pretty much my constant state..
Tired? Exhaustion IS (for me at least) the constant state of existence the first month or so of sobriety.

God bless you all (and me) as we try to get past the first month of non-using.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tempe View Post
Whether you go to AA meetings or not, H.A.L.T. is very much a credible and on the money guarantee that you will want to drink (me!) Hungry, your tum is empty and your blood surgar is messed... Angry, when you're pizzed off, you will be more likely to be impulsive... Lonely, well, since my last divorce 7 years ago, that's pretty much my constant state.. Tired? Exhaustion IS (for me at least) the constant state of existence the first month or so of sobriety. God bless you all (and me) as we try to get past the first month of non-using.
Thanks Tempe! I HAVE been feeling exhausted! I had almost 6 years of sobriety until last October when I decided that I was a "normal" drinker! Hahahaha. NOT! Oh well...I'm back up to a week. I was "out there" for exactly 9 months! Coulda had a baby! Lol. Anyway, something good came out it....I finally BELIEVE I'm an alcoholic! The first time everyone else (including a judge) told me I was.

BUT the weird thing is I don't remember being this exhausted the first time I got sober in 2008. I also don't remember it being this HARD!

BUT...I WILL NOT GO BACK! It wasn't fun!!!!!!!!! :-(

P.S. Nuudawn, thx for your comment too! I also love your posts.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
As alcoholics and addicts, we are used to looking to external methods to solve internal problems. That never works, of course, try as we may.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I'm hungry I want to drink to. But most of the time I wouldn't eat anyways so I could get as drunk as I could. Then drink x amount of beers and eat a ton of crappy food after.