Notices

struggling with a project and want to drink

Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling with a project and want to drink

That sums it up. Just posting here. Struggling with a long term writing project that is just really doing me in. I am facing all the doubts, regrets, fears and frustrations that it summons in me without my trusty crutches. And it feels like I am trapped. Would love the relief of a cigarette and a drink, but I know that I will ultimately feel worse about EVERYTHING. Right? I am on day 10.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Let's get a different crutch. Take a long walk. Get in a cold/hot shower. Eat ice cream. Keep posting here.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you, trachemys! All great ideas, all in my toolbox. I think I will take a long walk TO the ice cream!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hup, 2,3,4
Hup ,2,3,4
Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your problems with the project will be compounded if you drink. I used to think after a bad day of work at the office, I could drink to de-stress. What ended up happening is the work problems were still there in the morning except now I had to deal with them hungover. I did too many work projects poorly due to hangovers or lack of motivation from ill-effects of a binge. Booze is never the solution to this dilemma.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You do know alcohol isn't going to help matters? tomorrow morning the project will be back staring you in the face!!

A few non alcohol ways to deal with stress is what's needed!!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wonderfully put, soberhoopsfan!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yep, staring me in the face, thats what it will be. I need to not let it stare me down. Time to get fierce! Thank you Purpleknight!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to think some wine made me write better. I only recently, as in the last 2 days maybe, realized it doesn't (I'm at Day 18). I don't need it to write. This actually surprised me.

You only think it helps. It's an illusion.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks soberjuly. I am trying so de-link the the writing and the wine as well. For me, wine was a reward for getting some work done, or consolation for not. I also find that productivity is a drinking/smoking cigs TRIGGER for me. A big one. I guess its how I celebrate, release or react to an adrenaline rush, etc. Really trying to find new ways to cope.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longoverdue View Post
thanks soberjuly. I am trying so de-link the the writing and the wine as well. For me, wine was a reward for getting some work done, or consolation for not. I also find that productivity is a drinking/smoking cigs TRIGGER for me. A big one. I guess its how I celebrate, release or react to an adrenaline rush, etc. Really trying to find new ways to cope.
I am the EXACT same way. I have 23 days today, and the first time I was hit with a really strong urge to drink, it was as a response to feeling good/accomplished. And I had spent so much time and effort making a plan for how to react to urges that accompany stress/negativity, that I was really surprised by it. I actually almost caved (so glad I didn't). And it's a really hard trigger to figure out, because I don't want to stop feeling good or being productive, lol!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

giochick, thats so interesting! I feel the same way: mostly triggered by energy, creativity, productivity. When my mind gets going, writing, thinking, etc. I mega-crave drink, a smoke, the whole combo. Its a rhythm I get into. I don't want to avoid feeling good/productive to avoid cravings, so this is tricky. Just taking it one day at a time. Ate A LOT of granola, right outta the box, instead of reaching for other far more toxic things. Good luck to you!