Getting outside of ourselves - what do you do for others?

Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting outside of ourselves - what do you do for others?

When I stopped at the library last night I recognized the big red, mobile blood donation bus in the lot where they must have been doing a blood drive during the day. It reminded me that I haven't done that in a LONG (too long) time. I have donated regularly since I was 17 & the Gulf War had broken out & the Red Cross was calling for all blood types so I went along with my RAF to donate that day.

A few years ago I started donating platelets instead because I found out they were even more in need of that from my blood type, you can donate more often & I had learned from 2 of my mommy friends how vital this was for their kid's treatments. (one had leukemia, the other brain cancer) I had to stop because I let my health erode too far in dealing with AH & it was depleting me further to donate so often. Now that I am better (& if all my bloodwork comes back after tomorrow's checkup, fingers crossed) I am hoping to resume these donations.

I got swabbed & registered with the Bone Marrow donation registry a few years ago too, but that's much more passive. Nothing to ever do there unless my name comes up as a match for someone down the line.

Of course I've registered as an organ donor & we donated DD's stem cells when she was born.

I volunteer at DD's school, when I can, but that's pretty altruistic.... I give 100% but selfishly I love being able to be there to experience those days with her whenever I can. Last year instead of buying all the fundraising crap they were pushing at the school we donated the money directly to students in need anonymously instead. That way 100% of our donations went to fund students for field trips & extra events so that they could participate even if their families couldn't afford it. I worked with one of her teachers last year to do this & it worked out so, so great that I think we'll be able to do more with it this year.

My job is pretty service oriented - I often deal with the elderly & many of them live here in FL without much family nearby..... so I try to find silly little reasons to just call & check in with them or share a tidbit I think they might be interested in or whatever. Our firm motto is that we focus on relationships, not transactions, so if Mrs. Smith wants to spend 15 mins chatting about her cat after I get done answering her questions, I do. And then the next time my boss goes to visit I'll send along a bag of catnip along because I know it will make an old lady very happy that someone remembered her pet.

I know I can do more - and probably do without realizing it. I know a lot of you do substantial kinds of charity work in all kinds of different ways & I'd love to hear all about it!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This summer I'm volunteering resume writing and interview coaching services for our local Dress for Success. Its a place for disadvantaged women to get professional attire, support, and skills training for finding a job and staying employed. It's an awesome organization.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I run an animal rescue and am involved with a veteran charity. I make quilts for children and their siblings in hospital.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am feeling like a loser right now. I did not get to do nearly as much as I would have liked this summer due to a broken leg.

I donate my time at church and Sunday School.

I donate my time at DD's school.

I donate when possible to the local Animal Shelter. I love doing that with my daughters, it's so fun. The only challenge is not bringing all those cuties home with me!

I cannot donate blood b/c of a health condition. I did not ever try for platelets, that is something I will look into. We also donated both DD's stem cells. I am on the organ donor registry.

My job is service oriented and am always trying to help people as much as I can, especially the elderly folks. I have a special place in my heart for them.

I volunteer at Celebrate Recovery and was getting ready to co-lead a step study when I broke my leg. I will do so for the next one, but it was too much with a broken leg.

Thanks for this post. It made me realize there are a lot more ways I want to pay it forward, especially with my daughters!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I donate blood too when it is here. They call me up to schedule so it is really easy. I've also done the bone marrow thing a couple years ago and am an organ donor. I am on the board of our community youth center. It is a working board that organizes and runs multiple fund raising projects in the community throughout the year. I volunteer just once or twice a year now at the school (class party and chaperon). I used to be part of a number of other activities/groups and just volunteered for things here and there. I really enjoy that kind of thing but I have slowly had to let it all go one by one. Life is too big and gets bigger every day! Time is at a premium. I still try to model generosity and giving to my boys through the youth center activities but also through small gestures done when we see a need.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nothing.
Not a damn thing.
I'm grateful to those of you who do, who have the energy and the time. I'm a case of "charity begins at home"...

I've always viewed volunteer work as something I can do when I have less pressing things on my plate. I used to feel really horrible about not volunteering, but I don't anymore. It's actually part of my recovery -- learning to say no to good things so I have the time and energy to spend on the necessary things.

(And I'm not allowed to donate blood, so I don't even have to feel bad about not considering that... )
Old 07-29-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Nothing.
Not a damn thing.
I'm grateful to those of you who do, who have the energy and the time.
I'd say you do an awful lot here at SR.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a next door neighbor that is elderly and sick. I help him bring his grocery bags in, hang up his plants. I bought him a lever door knob and installed it for him, because he had a problem with the round ones.

I refuse to volunteer at an animal shelter. I'm afraid I will take them all home with me. (lol)

I used to donate blood, and still would, but never found out if I can after I had breast cancer and cervical cancer. If there is anyone here with that answer I would appreciate it. I'm AB-. I know they want my blood.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I was ill, the ministry at my church brought my children food. Now, I belong to that ministry cooking dinners for families in need of dinners for whatever reason. Im pretty broke myself but I will never forget those who reached out to me in my time of need. Just trying to pay it forward...
Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Add me to the nothing club too.

I donate clothes to the goodwill. I donate money to various causes. I participate in some charitable events and races. But otherwise my time is monopolized by my family and then my spare time is for counseling and alanon.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am same as Lillamy I feel like I have not done a damn thing. Last year we opened a new business then my dad had a stroke. Then another. Mom diagnosed with cancer in Feb. Dad had heart attack last month. All energy spent helping family now, and traveling to see them as much as we can.

I do try just just be nice to people. I guess that sounds weird. If I can open a door, or do something just to be nice I do. We give money to the local homeless around here. I don't really consider that "doing" something as it takes no energy to hand someone a couple of bucks.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My job is in human services. I donate our old clothes, toys, books. I mow/fertilize my elderly neighbours' lawn. I lead tables at my Al-Anon group. I volunteer at my son's school when they need parents to help out with different things.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I donate clothes, etc. to Goodwill. I saved some of the kids' Christmas stuff that they never opened and will give it to Toys for Tots this year when the season rolls around (the grandparents went absolutely nuts buying stuff last year!). I haven't been allowed to give blood since I returned from Iraq.
I do quite a bit of Alanon service work. I am GR for my home group, I lead about one meeting a month and volunteer for outreach when the local rehabs do family day activities.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For those who say you dont do anything, here you are paying it forward here ar SR!

Thank you to all of you, i value you and your thoughts and support so much!

Feeling sappy lol...
Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I work in a homeless shelter (actually 2, I am on call for the other). I secretary a weekly AA meeting which is basically a beginner women's double winner meeting.
I also volunteer weekly at the local food bank (I like to go on Thursday mornings and bag food for home bound folks), it makes me so grateful that I am able to leave my home, work and afford food.
I have done a lot of work in the past as a community organizer working on social justice and homelessness issues but I took a break so I could focus on my sobriety when I got back into recovery. I am itching to start again though >born troublemaker< LOL
Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
msm

Involved in various fundraising for local charities through royal canadian legion. Average 10 hours a week.
Busy hands are happy hands. Few things in life more rewarding than helping others.
Keeps me centered.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm glad you brought up "doing things here at SR" -- thank you for that.

I haven't thought of this as volunteer work because frankly, I'm here because it helps me to be here. The insights I get from reading posts, questions, other people's ES&H here, it's invaluable to me.

But you guys also reminded me that I do spend a lot of time listening to and sharing my ES&H with friends. I guess that's a kind of "doing something for someone outside myself" -- but it's something that's so second nature to me that I don't think of it as such. (Codie codie codie)

I'm really looking forward to having more time to do more. What's at the top of my list is informing legislators in my state about alcoholism and addiction, its effects on children, and how inadequate current laws are when it comes to protecting the rights of children in alcoholic families. As y'all understand better than anyone, that's a cause very close to my heart. (A friend of mine just texted me and told me her 7-year nightmare custody trial was finally decided in her son's favor -- meaning he doesn't have to go live with his alcoholic father part time anymore. Tears of joy here. Seven MFing years. Seven.)
Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I help at my daughter's school when school is in session. I have hosted 29 international students in my home while they study abroad. Right now, I don't have a lot of funds to do a lot of donating of money. Right now my daughter and I make love rocks... and we hide them and hand them out to people. It is a tribute to two little girls in a nearby town that were killed last fall. Their mother continues to do these love rocks in their memory. The full story is very heart touching and if you go to facebook and look up love rocks, the story is there. My daughter and I hand out and hide about 150 of these per week. It is nice knowing that hopefully this little gesture will remind people that they are loved and have a purpose. We also make sack lunches during the holidays and hand them out to the homeless.... and the giving trees and what not.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wendy, that is so cool! I am going to do those with my daughter, thanks so much for posting!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Save some money and get your rocks at the dollar store or dollar tree... etc... It is a good time crafting with her as she always talks about whatever is on her mind. I like to teach my kids to help in the community one way or another, so this gives her a lot of joy, and I love it also.