Notices

How do you deal with cravings/rationalization?

Old 07-28-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you deal with cravings/rationalization?

On Day 1 here. Hoping to get some advice on dealing with the initial days. Cravings and me trying to rationalize that I can just go have one drink. Or I can start this tomorrow etc.

It's physically draining.

GreenPepper
Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some good craving tips here :
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

as for rationsalisations - I'm guessing you have as much evidence as I do that, sooner or later, drinking never works out

I had to accept it was the first drink that bought me undone, not the 25th.
After that first drink, all bets were off.

If you're a drinker like me, any rationalisation that drinking might be ok is a lie.
D
Old 07-28-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

On Day 8 here & have had my first cravings. The best piece of advice I've seen on here is "play the tape to the end."

It's keeping me sober tonight.

For me one drink turns into black-out drunk, humiliation, hang-overs from hell, back-tracking, trying to piece together the evening by looking at my phone, emails, etc & most damaging of all - shame. The reality for me is that the romantic idea of a glass of wine never stays just one glass. Keeping the end of the tape in the forefront of my mind & staying in reality is crucial for me.

Other than that, I'm going out for a run. This crack at sobriety has me turning to exercise instead of white knuckling it. I'm getting my high naturally - from endorphins. It's worked so far so I'm not about to stop now.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The disease of alcoholism will relentlessly try to convince you that things are not that bad and you can quit later. Try to remember that it's the disease talking.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

All kind of good suggestions around here.

My favorite is ice cream. Knocks cravings right out.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You know that you are quitting alcohol, and you know what it does. You know all the bad things that happen when you drink, and you can take a long sober look at what drinking is preventing you from having, from achieving, from being. For me, I understood that I could decide to never feel that shame and guilt, to never disappoint my loved ones in that way, to never feel that anxiety and sadness that come with alcohol. I could have a life I wanted to live, one that was worth living, OR I could take another drink. I could not do both.

Any thought you can have about taking another drink, or about failing at this most important change, or doubt in yourself, is simply a lie that part of your brain is telling you so that you will change your mind. You never need to change your mind. All of this can be behind you, forever, and for good. For your good!

You can do this, GreenPepper. YOU can absolutely quit drinking. When you do, and you will, you will wonder why the heck you waited so long. You deserve this, don't you think? Onward!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was doing the same thing when I quit GP. I finally told myself that the "normal" drinkers don't have to think about having just one drink or drinking normal. In fact I remind mysel of this everyday. Good luck and keep it simple!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like what Dee says - taking drinking as an option off the table.
But take care to not put yourself directly in a place where cravings will take advantage - avoid places you drank, activities that are too intertwined with alcohol. Start some new habits - fitness is one area that comes to mind, start an exercise plan or eating healthy plan.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Haven't had cravings in a long time but if were it wouldn't last long coz of step 2: my sanity has been restored & is continuously being done so by working on my recovery. If after prayer & meditation, still feel on shaky ground(not that God didnt hear my prayer but I had accustomed body to reach the bottle so no surprise there), then call sponsor or buddy in network ASAP