Notices

Sobriety an creativity

Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety an creativity

Hi. This question may seem a little off-the-wall, but I wonder if anyone has any experience in this area. Here goes...

I'm a composer song writer. I would often have a lot of my best ideas and write good lyrics when "under the influence". I'd just press record on my mini studio and let things flow and then tidy up my work when sober...so anyway, clearly I'm going to have to start working in another way, but the trouble is that in the last 18 days (since I began my adventure with sobriety) I haven't written a single lyric or musical note.

Has anybody else found that their creativity/inspiration was blocked when they got sober? Did it pass?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a good question amp, and a complex one really.

I suppose what you are talking about is inspiration. I recently heard Tom Petty interviewed on "Q" with Jian Ghomeshi and Petty talked about how he has no idea where the inspiration comes from to write. He said the band doesn't even really talk about it - they just tap into it. A lot of artists feel this way - that our best work comes from "somewhere" and we'd rather not look too hard at the gift.

Of course, as any artist knows inspiration is only one part of it. The hard, hard work of practicing your craft - in your case learning licks, scales, whatever it is that you do to hone your skill - that has to happen too in order for your inspiration to come to fruition.

But does drugs/alcohol fit in to this? I believe it's about feelings. Once into addiction, most of us alcoholics drink because of the inability to cope with feelings. We feel bad so we drink, we feel awkward so we drink, we feel elated so we drink...etc. You know what I mean. So here's the thing about "feeling" creative - it's easy to confuse the drug-induced euphoria we experience as addicts when ethanol hits our brains with the "feeling" of inspiration. They are not the same.

I would say this: that you may in fact be a talented song writer that succeeds in writing music DESPITE being drunk. Now I'm only guessing here, but perhaps the alcohol allows you to reduce your fear enough that you can create. You know all those nagging feelings of "I'm not good enough" and "what if no one likes what I'm writing"? Well taking a drug can suppress that - it makes sense why an addict would use in order to find the courage to create, and having done it many times come to believe it is the drug which allows the creation.

Not only is this not true, but the real problem is that the drug will cause you all kinds of problems - with your mind, your health, your spirit... and in the end could cost you every song you ever might write.

So you're doing the right thing working on sobriety. Don't worry about not feeling inspired right now. Creativity comes in waves - right now it will take all of your energy to work on staying sober. It's that way for most people anyway in early recovery. Cut yourself a few months of slack I would get into a support group like AA, or seek some counseling to help you direct yourself in recovery and work on that for a while. Once you even out, you may find untapped sections of your mind that can give you things you would never discover drunk. Don't believe the drunk artists myth. Even the most successful, lovely people like Jim Morrison, Janice Joplin and Kurt Cobain tried that route, and the end was tragic and not cool.

While you work on your recovery you might consider this book too - it's all about working despite our fear as creative people...

Art & Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking by Bayles and Orland.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A LOT of creatives believe that substances are or were essential to their creative flow.

I have felt this in my life too....

but I believe it is just another lie our addicted minds tell us. In fact, I have found my creativity far more expansive and meaningful in sobriety.

Here's just a few of the musicians you may have heard of who also came to the conclusion that sobriety was the way to go;

29 Musicians Who Won’t Be Drinking On St. Patrick’s Day « WCBS-FM 101.1
Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I am a glass artist and I can't say that I've had the experience of being more creative when drinking. Cutting glass when you're sh*t faced or playing with a kiln that's at 1480 degrees is not such a good idea while under the influence.

But since I've been sober (2 weeks) there are no creative juices flowing at all. I'm kind of sad about that but I think I have to go put some effort in and I am certain the creativity will return.

I always knew I'd never accomplish anything with my glasswork while I was drinking. Another reason for me to not drink.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey amp123 - first of all, congratulations on 18 days!

Yes, it does get better. I was very slow creatively during the first couple of months of sobriety. My body, mind, and spirit just took awhile to adjust.
I now find myself having lyrical ideas at the strangest times and texting them to myself so I won't forget them if I'm out or don't have a computer or notebook at the time.

Also, most of the times my best musical ideas come when I'm just playing for fun or to relax.

I always take inspiration from Lennon and McCartney….a ton of their early songs were composed in a very businesslike manner, over cups of hot tea. I think they even had "rules" of no alcohol when writing.

This period of writer's block will pass. All the best to you.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A lot of experience here, just unfortunately don't have time to elaborate in detail now with examples. Here is the brief version of what I think.

Creativity is not simply just "getting ideas" or "unusual ideas" or "thinking outside of the box". Creation, by definition, implies that there will be a product: something whole, completed, novel, useful, beautiful, revolutionary, moving, one-of-a-kind... depending on the nature of the work... coming out of the project in the end.

In this context, getting great ideas and visions is only the beginning, the initiation phase of every project. I always think that the real hard part, the true challenge, and what seriously determines a person's creative potential is the realization of new and interesting ideas. This requires a lot of abilities that, in my opinion, are always perturbed "under the influence", no matter the substance. The project needs to be organized, make a coherent whole, address initial gaps and fill those in in ways that make sense in the big picture context, or whatever the product aspires to be. So, it requires serious organization and implementation skills as well, otherwise there won't be truly valuable product, only a jumble of incomplete ideas, thoughts, images, sounds, whatever. And the kind of creative work that only or mainly involves organized thoughts, manifestation of feelings, or anything maybe in the form of writing or even in an oral presentation is no different.

Does anyone really think that the whole process of creation can be done effectively under the influence? A metaphor: can we raise children who will be healthy, creative, productive adults being drunk or drugged for decades?
I don't believe so.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Increased Creativity in Recovery | Alcohol Rehab
Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Recovery is also a sort of creative work... and so is life, it can be, in my opinion. At least that's how I like to think about mine. Much better clean and sober eventually, but the initial phases (of recovery) are hard... just like the initial phases of any decent creative project. We need to overcome so many blocks during early recovery, just like an artist or any creative person often does during the process.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Trent Reznor On How Sobriety, Discomfort, And Experimentation Fuel His Creative Pursuits | Fast Company | Business + Innovation
Old 07-28-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try to be inspired by the feelings that sobriety is causing you... I think your body is adjusting.

Let us know how it goes...
Old 07-29-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A lot of interesting feedback here. I guess there will be a time of adjustment. It's good to know that I'm not the only person noticing this particular "side effect" of sobriety and I like the idea that medium/long term, this lifestyle may well turn out to be an asset to the creative process. Thank you all so much for your input!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amp

I was a musician composer and songwriter too - and for a lot of years I felt that drugs and alcohol freed me creatively.

Unfortunately it also took that creativity away from me in the end.

For a long time before, and quite a while after I got sober, I couldn't write a note.

I eventually worked out I'd never really worked at creating something before, I just got high and drunk and it just kinda spilled out of me.

I had to learn how to do that sober - and it took a while like any skill.

My voice, when it came again, was different - more mature, more disciplined less scattered - but some of my (and my wife's) favourite works came after I got sober

My point is - I thought it was the drugs and alcohol that did it, but it wasn't.
Talents are talents.

You'll be ok

D