Numb, sad, confused

Old 07-26-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Numb, sad, confused

It's been a long time since I have been here. My husband has been sober for 6 years and things going so well. Now here I go again but this time with my brother. I have known for a long time that he was an alcoholic. After what I went through with my husband, I had to distance myself from it. A few years ago, I walked away. He knew he had a problem but didn't seem to care. For the longest time, he was a functioning alcoholic. Then he retired. BAM....boy did it escalate. He had all the time in the world to drink. He switched from beer to vodka. I think that was a huge turning point in itself. A few months ago, he started experiencing tremors and then kept declining. A few weeks ago, a serious decline. Not able to walk because tremors got so bad. He fell twice. A week ago he ended up back in the hospital. One of the falls cause a subdural hematoma. He has been in the hospital for over a week and little, if any improvement. Has not had a drink in about 3 weeks because he hasn't been able to get out to get it. Doctors are now saying that they ruled everything out and all of this is due to his alcoholism. The tremors are almost constant. He has occasional hallucinations. Kidneys are only functioning at 40%. He can barely sit up and can barely feed himself due to the tremors. They transferred him to start physical and occupational therapy and will then release him to go home because there is nothing else they can do. They don't know how much he will actually improve. I am afraid the damage is done and not reversible at this point. Can't stand seeing him this way. He will be told he can't drink again. I don't see that happening. My mind knows I can't get sucked into this and I can't change it. Now I just need to get my heart to understand it. Like I said in the title, numb, sad and confused.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a shame. I am sorry to hear this Kemarus.