Notices

Withdrawal? How worried should I be?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal? How worried should I be?

Hey everyone...

I've been struggling with alcohol for about 2 years now. Lately I've been finishing a Mickey of Vodka a night (375 ml) I'm disgusted in myself and disappointing my family. There's been nights where I haven't had anything and I went 10 days without alcohol about 2 months ago. It felt great, but I'm back in the pattern of drinking a Mickey every night. I need to stop and I find my worst cravings are when I'm on my way home from work and hungry. I'm looking for any advice I can get but mainly I'm worried about withdrawal. How much did you drink on a daily basis? Any extra things I should know? I'm only 24 by the way..I feel like I'm wasting my life away.

Thanks in advance to all who reply!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It's really impossible for us to say how withdrawal will affect you, and it is best to see your doctor anyway. But some of what is known as a hangover is actually withdrawal symptoms, so the severity of your hangovers helps to predict the severity of withdrawal.

It's great that you identify hunger as one of your triggers! That one is fairly easy to work on.

Keep posting! Why not join the 24-Hour Recovery Connections thread or the class thread for the month you got sober?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Honey if drinking is making you feel like this it is wasting your life away. But you are obviously looking yo make your life better! Good for you - so young and reaching out! Most of us waste decades before realizing that we need to stop. For about four years I went from having a few beers a day to being able to consume 10 - 18 on a chosen day. Occasionally I would drink other things. I quit cold turkey and my physical withdrawal wasn't as bad as my mental one. I was wired to drink at certain times, in certain situations and during stressful times it was how I coped (or so I thought. I wasn't coping so much as hiding). It was a journey that I had to take day by day. I had to relearn how to handle my life without reaching for alcohol. I was tired, had headaches but the key for me was turning the guilt and shame I felt into pride each and every day I didn't drink. EVERY day for almost a year I would lie in bed at night and no matter how my day went I would tell myself "you dealt with it and you didn't drink" Baby steps. You have found a good, solid place here. You will need lots of support. I hope you have someone you can talk to. Can you eat a snack on your way home to keep yourself distracted and make you feel a little satisfied?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sweetie go see your doctor. He can give you something to ease your withdrawals. Then the real work comes.....
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've got age on your side and you're employed so you can't fall into the drink all day at home trap (except on days off work). How did you feel when you went 10 days off alcohol? because I think for most people, the first week is the worst. For me, the physical dependency was the first week, now I am dealing with the psychological dependency. I'm trying to break the habit of using alcohol to cope with any and all stress in my life.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi timeforchange78

there is such a lot of variables in withdrawal, and none of us are Drs here.
My recommendation is, if you have any concerns about withdrawal at all - see your Doctor.

Why not be safe, and put your mind at rest?

D
Old 07-26-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee is right, that's a lot of booze, and all of us react differently.

Medical people should be available to help you if you get at all concerned. Withdrawal can be deadly.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everyone is different, but how did your 10 days go a few months ago? that should give an indication of things!!

Make this your Day 1 and go with it and if anything of concern crops up check in with a Dr!!

You can do this!!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by timeforchange78 View Post
How much did you drink on a daily basis?
1.75 for worst. Withdrawl was not fun but I lived. Only got librium twice. Shook like a friggin' leaf most of the rest. Came to in ambulance or hospital a few. Good news is it's over in 2-3 days.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will probably have the same withdrawal that you had 2 months ago when you went 10 days without drinking. However it could be worse. You should at least go see your Dr. and let him/her know what you are doing, and get prescribed the appropriate meds.

What were your withdrawal symptoms a couple of months ago when you went 10 days sober by the way?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I posted on your other thread. I agree with Purpleknight, you'll likely experience the same withdrawal that you went through when you were 10 days sober.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

About like:

Old 07-26-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

But then:

Old 07-26-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Every detox can be different, withdrawal is absolutely unpredictable.

There are too many factors that only a doctor can evaluate. Ex: vitamin depletion levels, your blood pressure, electrolytes depletion, dehydration level.

I detoxes by myself, NOT a good idea. I could have stroked out or even worst. Not to scare you but a doctor visit only takes a bit of time and it will bring you piece of mind.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Youve got youth on your side. I drank a fifth plus everyday, morning to night. My withdrawals were bad. I literally was expecting to die. If youre worried see your doctor. Good luck. Do this.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I replied on your other thread, but just to add don't let the fear of withdrawals that may never happen, our minds can come to all sorts of conclusions, put you off from giving Sobriety a go!!

Should any issues crop up, check in with a Dr, but at some stage the cycle of drinking/withdrawal needs to be broken!!

You can do this!!
Old 07-26-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

I merged your two threads into one, timeforchange78 There's a redirect on the other one.

It keeps everything within the rules and ensures less confusion this way

D
Old 07-26-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also suggest seeing your doctor for medical help to get safely thru the w/d. Be safe while detoxing.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I also suggest seeing your doctor for medical help to get safely thru the w/d. Be safe while detoxing.
I Second that. I tried to do it myself against the Drs recommendation a few weeks ago and it got scary fast. I thought I was going to die twice within 24 hours before I knew I needed to help and found a bed to do it safely. Now I got 16 days and am feeling great for the first time in a long time.

Good luck timeforchange78 and remember be safe and ask for help if you need it.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Sweetie go see your doctor. He can give you something to ease your withdrawals. Then the real work comes.....
Raider is right. I got Librium from my Doctor. It was worth it's weight in gold! Six days sober now.