Notices

Does your memory come back?

Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does your memory come back?

I was a heavy drinkers for years and my memory in the last few years went to crap. Now I have two weeks sober after a "fun" detox and don't plan on going back. My question for the people who have some sober time and have experienced decline in their memory due to drinking is simple.

Does your memory come back? If so how long did you have sober until you started to notice a difference?

Thanks everyone! For the first time in my life Im sober and LOVING it!
Old 07-25-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course it depends and different for everyone.

But one thing for sure, it can't get worst now that you have stopped! The body has an amazing capacity to heal, well done btw, glad you made it trough detox safe
Old 07-25-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Eric, for me the first few months was tough, my memory seemed to almost get worse, I never used to loose or forget where I had left things when I was drinking and then all of a sudden for the first time I was loosing my keys, phone, wallet etc!!

Though when I was drinking there was also a permanent mind fog that was with me all the time due to the endless cycle of drinking/hangover.

In time everything came back, it's probably different for everyone, but hang in there, things will improve as the body adjusts and heals!!
Old 07-25-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I always had a great memory before I started drinking. I really never noticed a difference for the years but man these last few have gotten bad. I forget conversations, names, TV shows, Movies, Books etc. Im really looking forward to starting the slow process of regaining everything and feeling better not worse with every day. For the first time in 10 years I really look forward to what the days might bring.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel like my memory has gotten better. When I was drinking - I blacked out pretty much every time, so there was that. But I felt like even when I was sober, I was starting to forget things, or have to work too hard to recall certain things.

That seems to have begun to get better I'd say the last 2 months - noticeably better. I'm at 6.5 months. Everyone is different, but as others have said - you're moving in a positive direction now. Undoing years of drinking's physical toll on the body doesn't happen overnight, but I do believe that over time things really improve.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you find mine while you're looking would you give it back, please?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mine too. It's lost. Probably a good thing.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me quite awhile..long enough I was sure it would never get better - but it did.
Hang in there

D
Old 07-25-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Thinking and memory improves slowly. I found that I was emotionally unstable during the first six months. That changed first. I am at 3 years and things are still improving in terms of stability, being able to handle challenges and function well.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I definitely prefer blue.

Wait. What was the question?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My mind in general (not just memory) seemed to really clear up around the 5 or 6 week mark, i think i made a post around the 1 month mark talking about it.

I think age is a big factor as well, my dad is 66 - a life-time alcoholic - and when i talk to him these days he just doesn't seem to be "there", not sure if it's a combination of his old age and his life-long alcohol habit, maybe both?

I am 26 so perhaps i was able to "get away" with more regarding my drinking, all my parts are still fairly new, etc. I'm confident my brain will repair and re-wire itself without too many issues given my age, slowly but surely. My dad on the other hand, having more "miles" on his parts and odometer, is showing obvious signs of the wear and tear.

When i compare my dad from 20 years ago to my dad now........ wow. The two couldn't be any more different. This stuff really is progressive, i guess it doesn't help he's also a life-time smoker.