Notices

Fighting the urge to drink

Old 07-25-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fighting the urge to drink

Having a really strong urge to go to the store and get a six pack of beer. I know I wouldn't stop at just one, and that it would devolve into me being a drunken mess, spending money I don't have, and then feeling terrible physically and emotionally. I am in the middle of working on a project, and it's something that I always did with a drink in my hand. My AV is practically screaming at me and I feel very close to giving in.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

If a toddler was screaming something wrong at you would you give in? Your AV has less power than a child. It's just a voice, just a feeling. It can be ignored, you just need practice doing it. Start today.

You can do this.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Feelings pass, they don't write your future, you do, there is nothing inevitable in all of this, there is still a choice, and you can choose not to have that 1st drink!!

Hang in there, you can do this!!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't do it! I promise you will regret it!!! Think all the way through the drink! You can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-25-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I am slowly learning how to get through these kinds of situations, and how to tell my AV to shut up, that it's a liar, and I am just fine thank you. I really don't want to throw away 19 days. I am so glad that I have the community of SR to come to when I am feeling like this. It definitely helps.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Stay strong, giochick. You don't really want this or you wouldn't have posted here. A part of you is screaming for help - listen to that plea! Have a bath, watch a film, do anything but drink. When you wake in the morning, hangover-free, you can congratulate yourself on passing a very difficult test. And your liver will be happy too
Old 07-25-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. I needed to overcome being very undisciplined during my drinking period and examine my drinking patters like you did and take charge.
During that period I needed AA and it’s support at face to face meetings where I learned a lot about my drinking and how it will never get better if I’m an alcoholic and continue to drink.
Day by day I got better doing a lot of work on myself and recognizing my triggers ant using disiplin to overcome them.
Life does get much better without alcohol in the equation as we become comfortable in our own skin.
Reading the posts here are very helpful also in revealing the things we didn’t know then fixing them.

BE WELL
Old 07-25-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Go back and read the previous posts or replies you have made. You will be reading posts speaking from you to you.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try eating some good comfort food that will fill you up. Whenever I get the craving I am usually hungry or tired. It might help!
Old 07-25-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Giochick - 19 days is SUCH a great start. Just think how close you are to having one month! If you could do this NINETEEN times in a row before, you CAN do this today too. You don't have to give in to a craving or a feeling. You can feel it, acknowledge it, and let it pass through you. You are in control (even if it doesn't feel like it - you are).
Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stay strong, you can do this!

Up to another day waking up refreshed and not dehydrated
Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I went over some of my writings from the first week of sobriety, I made myself a delicious lunch (turns out, I was hungry, and I just wasn't paying attention) and I found something to occupy myself (reading posts on SR) to occupy myself until this craving passed. In the moment of a craving, it feels unbearable and like I am going to feel this awful forever, but I know it's not true. This particular craving actually passed fairly quickly, but boy, was it strong. I also decided to take a break from this particular project. It doesn't have to be done today, and I think right now my sobriety is more important. I am going to take my dog for a walk and enjoy the beautiful sunshine here in Boise.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That sounds wonderful! Great job re-directing your energy and taking conscious steps to reduce the stress of the moment!
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you made it! I have had difficulty with those sorts of urges and at times have had no real defense. I go to AA meetings and have good friends there and loads of phone numbers for support, but once that voice starts trying to convincve you - or worse just tries to say f*** it have a drink it can be tough.

Playing the tape to the end of the story is a good method I find.