Notices

Being selfish might not be a bad thing

Old 07-24-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being selfish might not be a bad thing

I find myself whining too much and desperately seeking sobriety. Sometimes I only focus on me and what I want and need. Maybe there is a lesson there, I was selfish in starting my habit, maybe I should be selfish in ending it. However, once sober, I should learn to be selfless and pass the message along I hope. I wane for the days I am selfless, but for now I am going to be selfish and try and get sober. Can you blame TDG for wanting to be sober no matter what? Love you friends, stay safe and sober, TDG
Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The way I look at it, it's the old 'put your own oxygen mask on first' thing

I put my recovery first...so I can help others.

I'm no good to anyone drunk in a corner....
D

D
Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

taking care of yourself is not being selfish sobriety is number 1 in my book as without it will have nothing

how i maintain staying sober is number 1 and a part of that maintenance means i have to try giving of myself to other people
that act by itself can be said to be selfish as i know what i gain from helping others as there is a feel good factor that i get from it
but then that is the idea to feel good about me as a person

i know today i have slowly changed to now thinking of other people rather than my own needs it hasnt happend over night but with a constant effort of doing things when i just didnt want to

i would ring up my sponsor full of my own selfish pain i would be wrapped in and he would listen to me then interrupt me and ask me what i did to help anyone or put me on the spot making it clear he wasn't listening to my rants. he would annoy me but also make me laugh at me as i would come to see i was moaning over nothing really

its been a hard long road and its still not over but then its not a race to be first
Old 07-25-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your sobriety should be the priority, that's the main objective!!