Notices

First day and first post

Old 07-24-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day and first post

Hi all,

Im in my 40's, mostly "social drank" for most of my adult life.
Ive been drinking (beer) nightly for about two years. First 3 beers will do it, then it was 4, then 5. then 6....Then...Better buy a cheaper light beer cause Im watching calories....
Lately its approaching 9 beers to "do it" for me in the evenings.Ive done and said some silly things while buzzed lately.
There is always a reason to drink.....
Im:
Happy
Sad
Mad
Bored
etc...!
In 2006 I quit smoking. If I can do THAT, I can do this!
Anywyas, Last night was the last night. I need to be done, and get back to clear thinking, a little weight loss etc.
Didnt buy beer today, tonight will be "different" for me.
Looking for support please ..
Thanks
DONE
Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome! you found a great place for support and to hear other peoples experiences.
many a reason to drink! god knows we all had them!
congrats on day 1!!!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also had every reason to drink. I took the kids out, I was happy, I was sad, the day was over...everything I did deserved a drink.

I was a reward drinker. Once I quit I was like "what now?"..."wait a minute! but I took 3 kids to the mall! for 6 hours! I deserve a drink!".

It took me awhile to realize that drinking is NO gift I am giving myself. It doesn't make me look better, it doesn't make me a nicer person.

When I go out now, like yesterday, I am a little floored at how nice I am and it isn't hard! When I would drink, being nice was hard. I was sarcastic, I was snide.

Not only do I pay more good and attentive attention to my kids but I pay more attention to just complete strangers and treat them with respect.

I am also not always in a hurry, a hurry to get back to my drinking that someone or something interrupted.

I also have all this extra time to deal with life. The time I spent obsessing on alcohol.

I like keeping my promises to my kids. I love that paying attention to them doesn't feel like a chore.

I also quit FB the day I went sober (July 12th). My real friends can email me. FB takes time away from the important people in my life. It's great, my life feels more private. Why should everyone know what I am doing all the time? and for the most part, no one cares as FB always felt like a brag-fest.

I had urges to drink the first week, that changed to times I didn't know what to do with myself, then there were the times I was around people drinking, I assumed I would cave but didn't.

I've finally accepted that drinking alcohol doesn't add anything to my life.

Now I am in the "picking up the pieces" stage. Organizing where there was disarray. Attending to kids. I have drawers of paper and clutter and things I just didn't want to deal with.

Welcome!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Done, glad you found us. You're right...you CAN do this. I can totally relate to your reasons to drink. SR is a great place full of great people who offer great support and advice. Hope you stay with us.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You will lose weight. I've lost ten ponds in eight weeks without dieting. Definitely a nice benefit.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Glad you joined us
Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Donewithitnow,

I wish you all the very best in the future. I feel extremely determined too. I'm finding it very helpful checking in here.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!