Notices

$2,724.04 !!!

Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

$2,724.04 !!!

$2,724.04!!!! That's how much money I spent on alcohol, cigarettes and bar hopping from January 2014 - July 2014! 7 months! That's so pathetic!!!

I just went through my bank account and added it all up. I'm sure there are more "drinking related" expenses too.

How sad. :-( Anyone relate?

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-24-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know Ive spent that and then some. And that certainly doesn't include my entire drinking career. No wonder Im as broke as a joke now.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I sometimes wonder how I managed to afford drinking when making end meets sober is sometimes a bit of a struggle. I am not brave enough to tally up how much I spent over the years, this is the way I feel LOL

Old 07-24-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I sometimes wonder how I managed to afford drinking when making end meets sober is sometimes a bit of a struggle.
That's what I'm thinking!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I sometimes wonder how I managed to afford drinking when making end meets sober is sometimes a bit of a struggle. I am not brave enough to tally up how much I spent over the years, this is the way I feel LOL

I was thinking this not long ago when I had to come up with a certain amount of $$ for something. I thought "gee, somehow I ALWAYS managed to have money for copious bottles of wine!!!!"
I've always been good with my $$ (thx mom and dad for that lesson!) but when it came to booze, I'd spend the last $20 on a bottle.

serenidad - I hate to admit this, I'd be grateful if that was all I spent in 7months!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I easily spent that much, since I stopped in March 2013, I've quit my 2nd job, paid my legal bills from my Dui, bought new furniture for my bedroom and living room, tiled my kitchen and bathroom, got a new dog and increased my 401K contribution from 3% to 13%.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
I easily spent that much, since I stopped in March 2013, I've quit my 2nd job, paid my legal bills from my Dui, bought new furniture for my bedroom and living room, tiled my kitchen and bathroom, got a new dog and increased my 401K contribution from 3% to 13%.
Can you loan me 50 bucks?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hahaha

*puts hand out*

I could use a few extra bucks too please!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was a bar drinker and I had to have top shelf stuff. All a part of my "big shot", ego-feeding persona I that had while I was an active alcoholic. $2700? I spent that every month for the better part of a decade. Seriously. I know there were cheaper ways of getting a buzz, but I had to be the "godfather" type person at the bar. Sad but true.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Serenidad, that is FANTASTIC. If ya think that is pathetic, estimated what you spent in 10 years or so, rootin for ya.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeap, think of the savings moving forward!!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've often wondered why, when it came to spending money on booze, that it seemed so reasonable, whereas spending money on anything else seemed imprudent.

I thought nothing of picking up a bar tab, and a trip to the liquor store was like stopping at the 7-11 for the baby's milk, but if I had to buy a sofa, or lawnmower, or even a pair of glasses, I'd need to be drunk to shell out for it.

I've noticed this irrational economy in other drinkers.

As part of my recovery I make a deliberate effort to spend money on things like self-care, and home and vehicle maintenance, and so on. Do I need to have my teeth cleaned every 3 months? Perhaps not, but it may help to reinforce the benefits of making good - as opposed to self-destructive - choices.

The contrast between having nice clean teeth (and home and auto and so on) and throwing up in the sink every morning is one that even I can't help but appreciate.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just added it up last week. Over 10,000 on booze alone. I quit smoking a year and a half ago, so throw in another 4 grand for cigs. Doesn't count my DUI expenses and the amount of money I have lost from not being able to do the work I am good at because I don't have my license.

Worse yet the emotional costs are incalculable.

Sober is much less expensive.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, a nice benefit in sobriety is the cash savings. I eaasliy spent 50k on just booze and I got sober at 31. Yeah it hurts. But now I am in gratitude I don't throw that money into a destructive habit. I have money to buy a house now and that is thanks to sobriety.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Its crazy to think about. Im sure ive spent at least that. Everytime i would buy hard booze i would buy some wine or beer. My wet brain thought it made me look less live an alcoholic. But i guess thats why there is a liquor store on every street corner.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riel View Post
I've often wondered why, when it came to spending money on booze, that it seemed so reasonable, whereas spending money on anything else seemed imprudent.
I'm not spending $8 for a breakfast at a diner! I can make that at home for $1.50.

Yes, I'll try that $7 IPA.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I recently did the same calculation, except I included the last 5 years that have represented the worst of my downward spiral. Estimating a minimum of $300/month (booze is expensive in Canada!) on alcohol, and another $200/month on cigarettes (I quit smoking 9 months ago), my addictive habits have cost me at least $30,000. I'm disgusted by the thought of what I could have done with that money instead.