Notices

can you get dts after just 5-6 months of heavy drinking?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can you get dts after just 5-6 months of heavy drinking?

I've been drinking about 8 500ml cans a day of beer for upto 6 months and get the shakes by late afternoon the day after if I don't drink. Could I be at risk of dts after this amount of time? I plan on stopping after this weekend
Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi it's me. Most of us here are only experts on ourselves and there are as many experiences as there are SR members.
If you are sensitive to withdrawal it's essential to see a doctor about it. Why? Well in some cases sudden withdrawal can cause dangerously high blood pressure and there is the possibility of strokes.
Put aside any shame or idea of doing it on your own, and get the right medical advice. It can also give you a much better chance of succeeding.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah that's what my fiance says but they say the best meds are valium and stuff that I already have a high tolerance to as I take it for anxiety
Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Still - see your doctor.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talk to a doc. 5% of all medical detoxes have DT's--usually daily, very heavy, long term drinkers. Lots of other Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome symptoms come with cold turkey quitting so if you have the means, find a doc who knows and cares--most don't. Abrupt cessation can cause permanent damage as well as long recovery periods of PAWS. Shakes and sweats are NOT DT's.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Itsme, don't try and second guess the doctors. Just tell them the truth about everything, and let them take care of it.

You don't want to end up having a stroke. It could cause permanent damage.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shakes is not the same as DTs. DT does not stand for detox as many people believe. It is for Delirium Tremens (Latin for crazy tremors), and if you had DTs, there is a good possibility you'd never even know it unless someone else witnessed it. Also if you were actively in DTs you wouldn't be able to carry on a coherent conversation or post on a forum. Here is a good article on it:

Delirium tremens: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

All that said, you need see a Dr., as you are certainly having tough withdrawal symptoms and DTs could be next. There is nothing to fear here, many of us have been through this. The Dr. will check your vitals and make appropriate medicines available. In my case I was prescribed an anti-anxiety, an anti-convulsant and high BP meds, plus an IV to stabilize my body chemistry and rehydrate. It was much comfortable than detoxing at home.

The biggest thing is to be 100% truthful with the Dr. and nurses. Don't hold anything back.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best checking in with a Dr, withdrawals can be different for everyone!!

Plus why not stop now and not put your body under any more stress/strain than it already is, why wait another 3/4 days?!!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsme111 View Post
I plan on stopping after this weekend
Do it now!