Notices

12 days today..

Old 07-24-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 days today..

Hi everyone,
So happy I found this forum. Have been a heavy drinker the last 7-8 years, I dont even know when it began to evolve from drinking once or twice a month to daily drinking
Have been terrible to my wife and myself during these years and have secretly wanting to stop drinking for several years. But I have an addictive personality and if its not alcohol its food, gambling or sex, I have many times cried and wondered why I cant be normal like "everybody" else I might be cheating myself but I still hope that I might be able to drink normally like most others, but my experience is always that after that one beer with the neighbour I quickly down one or two more when at home and usually some shots of booze goes with that aswell. I know that my wife is very tired of this also and I have always had excuses. Lately I have noticed that my tolerence has went down considerably, now I am hungover until 2pm when only having drinking three beers the night before. I guess its my bodys way of saying stop this now or else.. however I have never listened to my body before jut one night 12 days ago I destroyed a perfectly cosy romantic evening because of some stupid nonimportant thing and was so bad that I seriously thought that my wife would have enough this time. Luckily she wasn't mad at all the day after and as a way of apologising I said that I wouldn't drink for a few days. For the first time in a looong time I woke up without
a headache and I thought what a nice feeling! No need for the two aspirin that has been part of my lunch for so long... I am now on day 12, not long but belive it or not I havent had an argument with my wife for the whole time.. I am counting the days one by one now but its not easy. I dont have physical abstinence but I could almost kill for a coold beer :-( I dont want to have that feeling anymore! :'(
Old 07-24-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me I had to completely get rid of that hope of drinking normally again, I needed to accept that this was the way it is, abstinence was the only solution to dealing with alcohol that had become ingrained in my life, shutting that door puts a mental line in the sand to move on from.

You'll find loads of support and advice here on SR, it's great to have you here!!
Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on 12 days!

I had a similar experience, booze sneaked up and I spiralled out of control until my body stopped processing the Alcohol. I was half drunk every hour of the days.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on 12 days - thats amazing!

Keep going!!

Lx
Old 07-24-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 12 with no drinking or arguments! Glad you found SR, great people with so much support.

Best of luck!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Welcome to the Forum!!

For me I had to completely get rid of that hope of drinking normally again, I needed to accept that this was the way it is, abstinence was the only solution to dealing with alcohol that had become ingrained in my life, shutting that door puts a mental line in the sand to move on from.

You'll find loads of support and advice here on SR, it's great to have you here!!
Thanks
I think that it is my emotional side that lies to me that I will be able to drink "normally" but my logical side knows that I probably cant. Be it beer or food (I also need to diet) for me its easier to not drink at all than to have just one beer. Same as its easier to be hungry than it is to eat a "small" portion. It just leaves me frustrated and wants more.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Well done on 12 days!

I had a similar experience, booze sneaked up and I spiralled out of control until my body stopped processing the Alcohol. I was half drunk every hour of the days.
My body is not working logically I felt just before stopped drinking. At times I could drink 10 beer and then be perfectly fine the next morning at 7am for work when other times I was feeling like I was dead after just three beers. And I never knew when I would be fine or hungover.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Foolsgold186 View Post
Well done on 12 days - thats amazing!

Keep going!!

Lx
Thanks alot
Old 07-24-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
Congratulations on day 12 with no drinking or arguments! Glad you found SR, great people with so much support.

Best of luck!
Thanks!