Notices

Back again

Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

Hi everyone! I know I have been MIA for a while. Since last visit at the end of May, I have slipped four times.

I now have access to the SR app, so I can post during the day.

So, here's where I'm at: I can stay sober for 3 weeks or so, then I slip up. I don't binge for three or four days, but I still consider it a problem.

I'm in AA, and working on my issues. It's been helpful for sure!

Anyway, there's my update. Please don't be mean about it, or make me feel bad for not posting on here. (That's a main reason why I stayed away before)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Justin, I don't think anyone is going to intentionally make you feel bad, SR is in your corner and wants you to beat this!!

Sounds like you have a plan together, you can do this!!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's not what we do Justin. We have all been where you are and we know it's not fun. I'm sorry you felt you had to stay away.

My thought would be to come up with a plan for the three week point when you feel vulnerable.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah the plan is great. The issue I have is sometimes there just isn't any way to stay away from alcohol. It's ingrained in family and work.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Justin - welcoem back

I'm sorry you felt you were beat up here.
That's not we do here.

but ok...let's put the onus on you...

what do you think you need to do to move from this off/on again temporary recovery to a permanent one?

D
Old 07-22-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lol dee, you were a little broken up there. Just kidding

I need to find the will to stay away from the **** or get a will to be able to. I literally don't have it. I know it's possible, but that's where I stand right now.

People may not like it but that's all I have right now.
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can succeed at permanent sobriety this time.
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back justin. How often you post here is your own business. You will certainly get varying opinions here as it's a forum about recovery, but even those with opinons you may not agree with are here to help and share what has worked for them.

Do you have a sponsor in AA? If you keep drinking every 3 weeks or so perhaps there is something they see that you don't leading up to it?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do have a sponsor. We talked about it, and agreed there isn't really much to speculate on or to guess at.

It's literally that when I'm around alcohol, I can't say no. Even if I do say no, I pick up on the way home. It's seeing it, seeing people enjoy it without consequence that gets me.

And most of these aren't optional gatherings. There's so much booze and drugs in software it would make your head spin.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
Lol dee, you were a little broken up there. Just kidding

I need to find the will to stay away from the **** or get a will to be able to. I literally don't have it. I know it's possible, but that's where I stand right now.

People may not like it but that's all I have right now.
What if it's not will, but acceptance you need?

Part of my will still wanted to drink...I needed to accept that I was an alcoholic and that my relationship with drinking would never change.

D
Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh there's no moderate drinking to it. There's no denial. I know I'm killing myself slowly. There's no denial about that at all. Period

It literally seems like a willpower thing. It also doesn't help that since I started drinking less frequently I don't detox as hard. It's a night of shaky and sweaty. It's a ****** deal I know, but that's where I'm at.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Welcome back, Justin. Wishing you all the best in your efforts this time around. You can do this!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!!!! Glad you are here
Old 07-22-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I do have a sponsor. We talked about it, and agreed there isn't really much to speculate on or to guess at.

It's literally that when I'm around alcohol, I can't say no. Even if I do say no, I pick up on the way home. It's seeing it, seeing people enjoy it without consequence that gets me.

And most of these aren't optional gatherings. There's so much booze and drugs in software it would make your head spin.
So have you thought about what your next step might be?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I couldn't say no either, so I needed to change my life and avoid things with alcohol at the centre.

Doesn't mean you need to be a hermit - just m\means you need to be a little more discerning and maybe use a little more imagination in finding fun things to do

After a while, I changed - the alcohol madness left me, and I found I could say no. Been saying no ever since

D
Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you back again Justin - with new determination. There's nothing in it for us anymore. You learned something.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The issue I have is sometimes there just isn't any way to stay away from alcohol.
There is alcohol everywhere, readily available. I choose not to drink it. That is how any of us who are sober got there.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can totally relate! Write down the goals you would like to accomplish once you are sober. Write down why your life would be better sober. Write down the consequences of your drinking. Staple those 3 sheets of paper together. Put them in your wallet. Every time you feel like you want to drink...read it. If you still want to drink....well....maybe you're not done writing. Praying for you. Xo

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome back Justin. I too, am starting again...Today! Today is a good day to be sober. Let's do it!