Notices

Did/does anyone else feel .....

Old 07-22-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did/does anyone else feel .....

Today is my first day sober (again) and I have drank 7 days out of 22 (so about 1/3 of the time). Progress, but certainly not where I want to be at, which is totally sober.

My question is, when you drink/drank, did you feel more hyper from drinking instead of feeling relaxed? I have always drank because I liked the calm, relaxing feeling alcohol gave to me, but lately it makes me super talkative and hyper and I get he opposite effect of what I used to enjoy about it.

So I was just curious if this has been experience by others out there? Is it because my tolerance is so high or why doesn't it do what it used to for me?

Thankfully, however, this helps make it an easier deterrent for me as I drink because I want to feel calm, not hyper and if hyper is what it is doing to me, it is easier to say no.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Mabel, my relationship with alcohol progressed, it never stayed the same, all the way to it not being enjoyable anymore and finally having to make changes in my life.

I think if you thought about there's probably more reasons than simply being hyper that you could probably cling onto as reasons to quit, I know I had many when I made the decision to quit!!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It got less enjoyable for me as the decades went on. It took more and more to "get me there" and the pleasant part became more fleeting every day.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, yes that was me. Drank the first couple quite fast then spent the whole night 'on one' busy busy doing nothing really. But thinking I'm busy. Writing to do lists, walking about, messing about, music on. Talking lots about Meeee! Which turned into 'woe is me' the more drunk I got. I would wake up after drinking maybe 8 hours straight and think what did I do? Last night went really quickly, I know I was busy, but what did I acheive? Nowt. What a waste. I get so much done now, and I'm much more chilled out.
Maybe it comes down to why we drink. My drinking was boredom related and a reward so I got all excited and manic on it. Eek I'm cringing thinking about the drunk me now. Stray strong!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think it made me more hyper but it definitely wasn't "fun" anymore. In fact, I can't even recall the last time I was "happy, fun drunk"....many many moons ago.
I can remember a couple times where I had that buzz for a bit, but then the chaos would start and that far overshadowed the hour or so of "fun" I had. And those were the lucky times where I wasn't completely blacked out!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mabel. I can only say, I felt everything about alcohol, and it's effect on me, and my life, was becoming more and more unpredictable.

That was my turning point.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At this point I can only think about how disgusting it makes me feel. I just drink for the sake of getting drunk.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

There is NO reason to drink... and about a million reasons NOT to drink.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mabel.....All I can tell you is that I could never just have one drink which ultimately lead to a variety of different feelings. I hated waking up in the morning and looking at my cell phone to see how many people I texted during my "talkative and hyper" stage...ugh....I was so embarrassed.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with the posts. Yes, I get talkative and "hyper" when I drink. The last few times I think I was so hyped up about drinking because I was so looking forward to it that I was so excited about it. Course, it always leaves you with that flat, lifeless feeling afterward.

I thought to myself the other day that it is just crazy that something that has caused me so much misery should be easy, you would think, to remove from your life. And while I certainly can attest to it NOT being so easy, that word stuck with me: MISERY.

Because that, in the end, is what all of us get from it. It's a good word for me to keep in mind to remind me of why I want to stay sober.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know why. But it stops being fun. Even if it was fun, I don't remember any of it because I black out so quickly. Good luck to you.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can relate. Alcohol almost always made me energetic and sometimes hyper, yet also relaxed. The stimulating effect has been there for the majority of my drinking career, though it may have increased over time. I'm not gonna lie, I came to like that part of it.

What I did not like, and one of my many reasons for quitting, was how that same effect would cause chronic insomnia. I could pass out okay, but wake up 4 hours later with really bad anxiety and no hope of falling back to sleep.

I blame it on the sugar content, in part. Which is also why I'm quitting. Diabetes runs in my family.

Day 18 here. I feel much more stable and level than before. Ultimately, the energy high isn't even worth putting alcohol in my body.