Notices

I am so hurt

Old 07-22-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am so hurt

Today, some one mistook my shyness for aloofness and called me "odd".

Now, I have been called many things in the past as a result of my shyness, including "a snob", which I am really not by the way.

I am sitting here in disbelief. I'm so hurt by this. Is this how people see me? "Odd"?

I mean, yeah I am different with my friends than I am with new people but I still feel really upset.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some people are just rude. Don't let the jerk get to you.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, in my upset I may have posted this in the wrong place. Mods can move if need be but I'm still so hurt and confused.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe you'll feel better if you cry it out and have a good night's sleep. I know I always feel better in the morning.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm going to cry
Old 07-22-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tetra - I really feel for you, I do. I feel ashamed that I probably have thought some shy people were a 'bit odd' in the distant past, but I would never say that out loud to them or to anyone else - as Gilmer said, just completely rude!! Massive
Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My sponsor has told me it is none of my business what others think of me. The people who know me the best have no doubt I'm odd and they love me for it
Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I give up. I am just barely holding things together.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please, please, don't drink at this buttmunch. You are too precious and valuable an individual to give up your sobriety over some jerk's superficial insult.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try not to let it bother you, tetra. Whoever made the comment isn't really worth the time of day.

And . . . .

Who wants to be "run-of-the-mill" anyway?????!!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tetra, I would say that person is an insensitive jerky person.

I am positive that somewhere along the line someone has thought me to be odd, and that's ok. If we were all the same it would be one boring world!

Don't think another thing of it!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Who knows what the other person was really thinking? I hope you're not going on gossip or hearsay, Tetra...

I am not good in "small talk" type situations! I'm not really shy, just quiet and don't care for shallowness...I've been called snobby and a bitch but it matters not.

You're a sweetheart. Please just ignore stuff like this.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tetra, I grew up with undiagnosed ADD. I was painfully shy around new people. I even had a teacher ask me if I was ******** cuz I never spoke and was always daydreaming. As soon as I had my first beer at 15, I found that magical elixir and I was everyone's best friend. Look where that got me. I don't give a flying f*** what anyone thinks of me anymore cuz I spent 20 years trying to make everyone happy.

Just worry about yourself. There are jerks out there everywhere.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've always been shy, which is why I probably liked drinking so much. I learned to embrace who I am, and thats who I am, I'm shy, nice considerate, etc. That person was rude and ignorant, she should be ashamed at her rude behavior.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sorry your feeling bad - Frankly, in meetings we all talk about being from the Island of misfit toys and laugh together. For me as an introvert I have found comfort in knowing that God has made me imperfect and weak, from that comes His power. It is the way of humility and faith!

Save heart, your're in the right place!!!
We all love you!

Old 07-22-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are on Day 11, right? You are fighting what may be the fight of your life. Your nerves are gonna be raw.

Just keep focused on your sobriety, Tetra. Nothing else matters, especially an off-hand comment from some knuckle-head.

And really, I would rather people think me "odd" because I am quiet and shy than to have people think I am a loud-mouth jerk. Like Abraham Lincoln said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

You are sober. You are among friends. And you are doing great, Tetra. For that, you should feel very, very good.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Oh, and pray for the person who said that too you as they are spiritually sick!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

my shyness was extreme self-centeredness. ugh!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Quite frankly, anyone who insults someone else doesn't feel very good about THEMSELVES. So it's on them, not on you Tetra.

I am pretty sure people think I am a bit "odd," but so what? At least I am unique and interesting instead of boring. I embrace being a bit odd.

Some of the most interesting and world-changing people out there are "odd." Just look at Albert Einstein, Stephen King, Nelson Mandela, etc. All "odd" and very unique.

Too bad for the person having a bad day. Maybe they are jealous because their boring?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

I've been labelled eccentric, and told that to my face, and know what?

I take pride in it.

Life is too short to care about what some random person thinks of me. My family counts (and I guess my employer does too) and that's it.

Besides, I'd rather be odd than what passes for normal these days. Moms competing for sexual attention with their daughters. Homogenous dressers using their clothing as advertisements. Crushing materialism. Keeping up with the Joneses. Owning a house that is so large it is obviously to impress others, not satisfy your need for shelter. Intolerance. Bigotry. Narrow-mindedness. Polarization, politically and religiously. An inability to listen to each other, actually LISTEN to each other.

If that's normal, I'd take odd any day.

Proud to be odd,

Mr. Sparky