Notices

New here

Old 07-22-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hello!
I have just turned 24, female living in London.

I decided to join the forum to maybe get some feedback and some support as I am too much of a chicken to show up at an AA meeting.
I've looked it up several times, and even planned to go to one in my neighborhood, but have never managed. I have absolutely no idea what to expect and am afraid I would feel awkward. That nobody has exactly my situation or that I would feel forced to talk a lot, because I am a little shy and reserved around new people.
I am also curious if any/how many of you have managed to get better without any professional help, just on your own.

I grew up in a family with a sensible relationship with alcohol. My mum and stepdad would have one or two glasses of red wine with dinner every now and then but never a lot and I have never seen them drunk. I hardly had any alcohol before I was legally allowed to, and from then on it was only the occasional night out with friends where I only drank until I got a slight buzz.

I don't know how I got here and I regret the day I ever discovered alcohol as a way of coping with being depressed.
I am fortunate in so many ways in life and I feel embarrassed that I have squandered so many of my opportunities. Late nights drinking on my own have had me stay up till 5am and as a result I lost the first real great job I got at 23. I haven't told my parents, they think I still work there.

I can physically manage to go without alcohol but I feel down half the time. I find it really hard to watch some of my favorite tv shows, seeing the main characters pouring a drink or a glass of wine. I wonder if anyone else experience this?

Anyway I hope I'll find some useful advice or maybe just someone to relate to on the site. Thanks for reading
Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Scandi90! First, I'd like you to know that although AA is not for everyone, it is a very welcoming, friendly place. I have been to many meetings in many different places. You stand to lose nothing for simply giving it a try! Second, you are young and it is good to address this now before you do lose everything and everyone. It sounds as though maybe seeing someone else pouring a drink or drinking could be a trigger for you, as it is for many people. Alcoholism is mysterious and tricky. You could try to avoid those particular shows until you have a firm grasp on your sobriety. Educate yourself and seek the help you need. Joining SR is a great start. Again, welcome.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Scandi90!! Great to have you here!!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Many of us found it too difficult to sober up on our own. You don't extra credit for going solo, so why not accept the free help found at AA, Smart, Rational Recovery or wherever?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! You'll find tons of support and understanding here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Many of us found it too difficult to sober up on our own. You don't extra credit for going solo, so why not accept the free help found at AA, Smart, Rational Recovery or wherever?
Are there any distinctive differences between them? Meaning are they tailored to different people?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Scandi

Probably the best idea is for you to Google, look at the websites and decide yourself which approach seems best for you.

You'll find a lot of support here too - I'm glad you've joined us

D
Old 07-22-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Scandi, I moved to London when I was 27; with a fresh PhD and an even more fresh curiosity about the world. Don't let alcohol get in the way