Notices

Attending "Celebrate Recovery"

Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attending "Celebrate Recovery"

Shall attend my first meeting this Thursday, what can I expect?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Expect to meet people who have the same problem you do and want to get sober. Other than that just try keeping an open mind an listen to what they have to say. Have you quit drinking yet?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Expect to meet people who have the same problem you do and want to get sober. Other than that just try keeping an open mind an listen to what they have to say. Have you quit drinking yet?
Yes, today is day one. Feel and look miserable.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been to a couple meetings. I went to support some friends that are in AA and also go to the CR meetings. They were giving their testimony which is a lot like a lead or speaker AA meeting.

The difference I saw is that not all the people there were alcoholics. The problems ranged from alcoholics, drug addicts, sex addicts, sexual abuse victims, domestic violence abusers, overeaters etc. It was very mixed.

The meeting open is much like AA and different things are read and coins are given. There was also some singing.

After the original hour meeting then it breaks off. The men and woman separate and for an additional hour. They discussed issues and prayed over their issues.

It was not my cup of tea but the people there seemed to enjoy it. I am sure you already know but if not it is Christian based.

I also went to a free movie they had one evening. The movie was created by CR and it was about an alcoholic. It was a good movie but they showed the man drinking so much that I became uncomfortable. I have seen movies like flight that the alcoholic was drinking but this was even more than that. It was like they were trying to get the point across that he drank all the time which to an alcoholic is not really needed...lol