Notices

Day 3 feels worse than day 2.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 feels worse than day 2.

I slept very poorly last night and am feeling quite depressed today. I felt fairly decent yesterday so I am a little surprised to feel this bad. I am missing my children and worried about the coming days. I wish this feeling of helplessness would leave. It feels as though I have irreversibly destroyed my life. I guess I am shaming myself with guilt pretty intensely. To be able to fast forward through the hard part to a year sober would be wonderful. I hope everyone else is feeling either better or remaining well.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been sober three and a half years and sometimes I still wake up depressed. It's just normal. I know some people who are seemingly happy most of the time, but I'm not one of them.
I have good days and I have bad days, just like everyone else.
Our life's don't become all rosy and lollipops once we quit drinking. I wish they did, but it's this thing called life with all it's ups and downs.

Your situation could be affecting you, as you stated, but it's nothing a drink will make better.
I hope things work out for you and don't be too ashamed. It took me awhile to repair the wreckage of my drinking life.
Congratulations on day three and best to you.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im on day 4.....I have always found day 3 to be particularly hard. I empathize with how you are feeling. But it does get better Be proud of making to it day three!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Day 3 and 4 were the absolute worst for me. Think of small things you can do today to make a change in your life. Even simple things like cleaning up around the house or getting a haircut can not only occupy time but show positive results. You could also go to an AA meeting, they are free and happy to have you.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Think of small things you can do today to make a change in your life.
I just got done mowing the front lawn. Wow, is it hot out! I'll be honest, it is the first time in 3 days I have seen sunlight and it felt good to get up and do something.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your body is going to take time to adjust, it can't heal and repair itself over night or in a few days, after years of drinking it's unrealistic to expect the body to bounce back in a matter of days!!

You'll get there!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
aka In 'n Out

It's going to be a bit of a roller-coaster as your body and min begin to recover. The bad days are a sign that healing process is underway. Just know that they will not all be bad and eventually there will be more good days than bad. Hang in there.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Days 3 and 4 were the worst for me too. Hang tough, you'll get through this.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on day 15, and I can tell you that day 3 and 4 were really hard for me too. But I started feeling noticeably better after day 5. My sleep schedule still hasn't completely leveled out, but I have been taking melatonin at night to get my back into a regular sleep pattern, and it has definitely helped. Hang in there, it will get better!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The first 6 or 7 days were the toughest for me also. i'm only on day 16 but the cravings have diminished from the first week; still there but not as prevalent. Don't know what to tell you about the sleep patterns. I think it differs for everyone but sleeplessness in the early days seems to be a common theme.

I know i am still only averaging about 4 hours of sleep per night. This past Saturday i was up by 3 am and ready to start the day. I would rather be lacking in sleep than waking up feeling crappy, unproductive, lazy, etc...

IMO, if you take care of staying sober, many of life's other obstacles will become more manageable. The obstacles won't be eliminated, but are much easier to deal with; that's life i guess...

Best of luck to you. This is a great site with tons of support!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Expect to be up and down for a while with your emotions. Just realize that they are temporary. Don't give in and go drink.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Proud, sounds like you are progressing normally. I wouldn't usually sleep until day 5. Once I started to sleep soundly, the feeling of hopelessness started to disapate. For years, whenever I attempted to stop, I couldn't deal with the crushing depression long enough to make it through the week. Stay the course. You're almost there!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

We beat ourselves up pretty good with booze and stuff, PD, some of us for years...give it a little time and you'll feel consistently better

D