Notices

New but not really...

Old 07-22-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Greatful Member

New but not really...

Hello all,
I am a 50sh professionally liscensed electrical engineer who ended up having to sell my firm because of my alcohol addiction. The last 4 years
have been a mess. I have had 2 DUIs, my name published in local papers, spent 12 days in jail and through all this I still drank. It wasn't until I was checking myself into a sober house and failed a breath test (badly and I was functioning normally) and told to come back in the morning and blow clean did my addiction realy hit home.
I had been to two rehabs prior had been a passive AA member for a few years but I had not gotten it. I spent the night in a hotel and reflected on my past and all the stupid, crazy **** I had done and the people I had hurt and everything else that we, as alcolics do. I became very humble that night and my arrogance seemed to melt away. How could it not, how could I not be humbled or how could I be arrogant after what I had done. Long story shory, I am now living at the sober house with a totally new and profound outlook on sobriety. It has been 4 months since I've been here and without alcohol. I am very Greatful for this. I am now an active AA member and working the steps with a sponsor, my wife loves me in fact I find love all around me. Being humble and leaving my arrogance behind has been a good thing. Life on life's terms, one day at a time...
Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Thats fantastic. Sounds like a turning point has come. 4 months is great. That seems so far away for me. 18 days. Your story is just like mine verge of losing everything. Became someone that, quite honestly was not me. Like you i love being sober. Love the things i do with my wife. Its like life anew.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congrats on your four months. It was humbling to admit that I had no control over my life because alcohol was controlling me. It sounds like you are finding a nice solid rock on which to build a new life.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Four months is fantastic!!! Glad you are getting your life together. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations! One day at a time. It does get better in time when we work at it and allow it to happen.
It’s good having a sponsor to help and bounce situations off of. It’s great to feel that life is getting better each day we don’t drink and we can be comfortable in our own skin. Hang on for the ride in a new lifestyle.

BE WELL
Old 07-22-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story.
I wish you and your wife a wonderful future together.

Businesses can be rebuilt, but sometimes relationships can't
Love is the most important thing, isn't it?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Greatful Member

Thanks for the repies. I just recently found this forum (yesterday). I think it's a wonderful resource. Having to now rely on public transportation, I nearly missed my bus to my morning AA meeting as I was posting. Today I find I find that AA and resources such as this forum to be as much about living sober as it is about learning what living life is all about. Learning how to be Greatful and a better human being.

It's a wonderful day, it's good to be alive, stay sober..