Notices

Old Feelings returning. ...

Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Old Feelings returning. ...

Coworkers making me crazy! A new, old thought returned today, the thought of drinking in the a.m. Didn't, but the feelings were there for a long time today. I feel like I am sometimes waiting for when I can say this has been conquered and then I can have a drink
Old 07-21-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I feel like I am sometimes waiting for when I can say this has been conquered and then I can have a drink

It doesn't come to that point. Just because you haven't been drinking doesn't mean you'll be able to control it now. Please don't try.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It isn't ever conquered. The disease is relentless. But, you can live in peace by getting through those tough moments. Have you tried to come up with healthy ways to deal with your coworkers?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not drinking doesn't fix or cure alcoholism, when you think it through, how could it?

Keep pushing through!!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Anna or least - we are what we are and that will change - neither will our relationship with alcohol.

If other people making you crazy is an issue for you, I'd try and think of other ways to deal it besides drinking, Charliee.

People used to drive me crazy too - I can't change them but I can change me and my reactions?

D
Old 07-22-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good morning charlee sorry you're struggling right now. We have nearly the same sober time and I do understand what your feeling. I had been living most of my sober moments as if I was serving a jail sentence being sober for those around me. I want you to think about if you actually could drink would you really want to. I was feeling exactly like you and was placed in a situation where I was handed a drink and told its over you've proven yourself. I couldn't even touch the glass. When I was eye to eye with that drink the voice in my head started to speak the truth. I didn't want that drink I knew it never be what it looked like in my fantasy. The desire to drink was nothing more than a mirage of me feeling powerless in my life. I wanted control of my life and in that moment of regaining control I felt like the sentence of sobriety was lifted.

I hope you have a little peace in your day today, and take it easy on yourself.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lots of feelings.... we are human. We have anger, frustration, annoyance.

We have Love, Joy, optimism.

We have fear, anxiety, terror.

Feelings are an essential part of Being Human. They will always be there; the full range of them.

Learning to experience feelings and allow them to be present without the need to let them consume us, try to bury them, or - worst of all - try to drink them away is crucial to our Human Experience. For some among us; to our very survival.

How are you going about learning to allow feelings to Be? How are you approaching processing feelings?

These, I think, are pretty critical skills to develop for those of us who have developed a lifetime of avoidance and numbing habits.