Notices

Any still have anxiety weeks after they quit drinking

Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any still have anxiety weeks after they quit drinking

The anxiety is killing me, by far and away the worst part of quitting I've experienced. I get very shaky sweat, and at times I am for sure I am going to die.

Sometimes my days are like panic attack, work a little, panic attack, get off work panic on the way home. I mean this is horrible, yet just one more reason I am giving up drinking. Keep telling myselt " this too will pass" I just wish it would get passing, because be afraid for my life all day stinks to high heaven.

Ok, well have a good one friends, just wanted to vent, and know if this was anyone else's experience?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suffered for a while, but I had anxiety before I started drinking.

My anxiety is the least it's ever been now, though

Is this a new thing for you TDG?

D
Old 07-21-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh no! Prior to drinking I was very anxious and agoraphobic, lots of GAD and other stuff, a bit bipolar too. That is one of the reasons I started drinking.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Have you sought treatment for it? I had bad anxiety during the last stages of my drinkign, and for a few months after I finally quit - but it has subsided substantially. Anxiety is a very common and very treatable condition though.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah...No doubt drinking made it worse, but I think you're gonna have to deal with the problem TDG...it's not likely to go away on it's own.

Anxiety's a really difficult thing to self-treat, at least in my experience.
Have you got a Dr or a counsellor you can talk to?

D
Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thatdeliveryguy View Post
The anxiety is killing me, by far and away the worst part of quitting I've experienced. I get very shaky sweat, and at times I am for sure I am going to die.

Sometimes my days are like panic attack, work a little, panic attack, get off work panic on the way home. I mean this is horrible, yet just one more reason I am giving up drinking.
I felt this way on a daily basis while drinking. On most days, for a long time, I did not drink during the day so it was always hangover time with insane anxiety. I got very used to it but it was horrible regardless.

For me it improved a lot even after a few days sober, and very significantly after ~a month. Exercising, meditation and eating well helps a lot for me.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Deliveryguy,

Yes. I can completely relate. I have been sober for 25 days now and I guess it's getting better but there are still a few moments in the day where I feel completely overwhelmed. I guess you would call that anxiety. If anything stresses me out it really really bothers me. For example my computer right now was not working or connecting to the Internet I know it has viruses and stuff but when it was not working I literally had to go to my bedroom dim the light and lay down for about 15 minutes. That's what I'm doing right now.

I was a drinker who could never get a day one. I drank every day and I knew I had done a lot of damage to my central nervous system but I am very surprised that on date 25 I am still feeling very panicked at times. I know it has to get better. We need to listen to the people who have long term sobriety. I know this will pass. It is very frustrating though how long it is taking.

So I am right here with you with the anxiety thing. But if I really sit down and think about how I felt 25 days ago on day one I felt like my life was going to end, the sky was going to fall, and I could not picture even a week without alcohol. So when I think of that and think of right now laying here on my bed I feel about 90% better than I did on day one. It's easy to forget though. We used to have an instant gratification which we thought made us feel good and now we do not. How do you feel now compared to day one?
Old 07-21-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Getting to a Dr. is a tricky proposition for me, much of my job involves driving and we were given a pretty lengthy list of prescription medications that the insurance company won't allow us to have. This is an extremely selfish statement, but the medication I know will have an instant effect I can't have and that drives me even more nuts!

I am not insured either and none of the doc in a boxes prescribe meds for the mental stuff. My answer might be the local mental hospital, or just the hospital, dealing with this 24 7 is really wearing on me.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One thing that I am doing is I go to the gym and I'm on the treadmill for one hour at the highest incline that I can do. I had to wait two weeks of sobriety to go to the gym because my blood pressure was still so high but now that it's lower I can go. Have you tried going to the gym? I know it's kind of a simple suggestion but I think it's helping me here.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
One thing that I am doing is I go to the gym and I'm on the treadmill for one hour at the highest incline that I can do. I had to wait two weeks of sobriety to go to the gym because my blood pressure was still so high but now that it's lower I can go. Have you tried going to the gym? I know it's kind of a simple suggestion but I think it's helping me here.
Melinda this is something I struggle with too -- I used to be a very active dancer and LOVE dance (ballet/modern) but haven't been interested or able to go for months. I suspect that finding physical hobbies that I love again will help me both emotionally and physically and think it's definitely good advice. Even outside of drinking physical activity always helps me with anxiety as well, so if it's safe for the OP i'd second this as well.

i have had terrible anxiety problems for most of my adult life and also second the "seek help if you can get it" advice - medication and CBT changed my life - but i know i am incredibly lucky to have insurance and access to that. best wishes to OP, it's difficult but you can do it.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Thatdeliveryguy View Post
Getting to a Dr. is a tricky proposition for me, much of my job involves driving and we were given a pretty lengthy list of prescription medications that the insurance company won't allow us to have. This is an extremely selfish statement, but the medication I know will have an instant effect I can't have and that drives me even more nuts!

I am not insured either and none of the doc in a boxes prescribe meds for the mental stuff. My answer might be the local mental hospital, or just the hospital, dealing with this 24 7 is really wearing on me.
Drugs are not the only solution for anxiety. An intro session with a counselor probably won't cost more that a week or two of drinking funds. Investing in your mental health is a good expense in my opinion.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
An intro session with a counselor probably won't cost more that a week or two of drinking funds.
this is such a good point and completely true, if i spent half the money i've spent on booze on things that were actually good for me....
Old 07-21-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, that is a good idea. Never thought of it like that scott.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have been sober for awhile now and I have an underlying anxiety condition as well. I guess I thought it would be solved by getting sober, but no, for me being sober simply allows me to be capable of addressing the problems in my life. My anxiety did get much better after I quit for a couple of months especially without the added hangover anxiety that I used to get all the time. But it was still interfering with my quality of life. I've recently started medical treatment for my condition because my constant worrying was exhausting. I am so glad I did! My life is already starting to expand because my fear is no longer in control. I hope you do what you need to do to facilitate all the healing and recovery you need TDG, I am cheering for you!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Today was a high anxiety day for me. So, after work I drove myself to the gym - "kicking and screaming" all the way I might add - for a weight class and then went on the treadmill for a bit after. As always, it did help. Since you can't take meds, maybe exercise would help you too. Hang in there!