Notices

Romancing the Drink:

Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Romancing the Drink:

I am on day 8 and doing pretty well this go'round. Determined. Mostly due to the fact that with each attempt at detox, it gets harder and more miserable. I'm a 50-something female who's been battling the bottle since my mid-twenties.

Today, I get rid of the barware, shotglasses, the whole shooting match. I always tended to romanticize the alcohol experience. Even sitting alone wherever I lived drinking, I usually had a pretty wineglass, beer glass or old-fashioned or highball glass. And even to myself, I used the word "cocktails." What bunk! Drinking the way I did was ugly and no matter how pretty the word was that I used to describe it, it was still a miserable and self-destructive act.

Today, I pray for God's strength to get to day 9 and try to remember the early misery of detox that I never want to go through again. I'm still not sleeping worth a darn and sweating a lot, but feeling pretty good. Can't wait until around day 21 which historically is about the time the good sleep returns.

This site has been invaluable to me. Thanks for all who post and support and read.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Tempe, 8 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Yes get rid of all the reminders, rootin for ya.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 8, it just keeps getting better and better from here on out. Sleep usually took a few weeks for me too, but it's so worth it once it levels off.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep going Tempe. You are right, that part always annoyed me...I glamourised, and sugar-coated my alcohol use to the point where I convinced myself if I bought an expensive bottle of wine - that wasn't a drinking problem, was it? That was appreciating a good drop.

Pity I didn't look too glamorous all glazed-eyed going back for a second bottle of whatever later in the day. It breaks my heart when I imagine what I must have looked like sitting there pathetically drinking by myself to blackout. Day after day, night after night.

Come on board...sober is amazing once you get the hang of it! xx
Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting, Tempe. I glamorized the drink as well, even though it was just me drinking alone in my poorly kept house. Your post reminds me I have a corkscrew to get rid of tonight. I've also been thinking of getting a new mug to replace the one from my old life (I used the same one for everything: coffee, tea, "the other").
Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tempe, congrats on day 8! Great accomplishment. Stay strong!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 8!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear you. I loved drinking alone also. It was fun. There are too many benefits to sobriety. The sleep alone is off the charts and having my wits about me is very beneficial to say the least. I hope you can stay strong. Best of luck.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Croissant - thank you for using the words "once you get the hang of it." That's a great way to look at it.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 days. You seem to get one of the requirements of getting sober, being honest with yourself about your drinking and accepting not being able to drink in safety.
In the beginning I needed to constantly remind myself when the thought of a drink came to mind is “ If I don’t pick up that first drink I’ll never have to get sober AGAIN.” That’s worked for me for many years.

BE WELL
Old 07-21-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

8 days is fantastic! Hang in there.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the encouragement - means the world to me.