Notices

Chronic coughing, throat noises

Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chronic coughing, throat noises

Hey guys, I went to see a doctor earlier. I might be able to help people out who have the same symptoms. I've had a cough develop the past few months. If I breathe in, especially lying down, I hear high pitched wheezing/whistling noises/crackles from my throat that clears for a few seconds if I cough. Also, sometimes if I take a deep breath, I can feel phlegm bubbling either in my lungs or at the bottom of my throat somewhere. So I finally went to the doctor.

Anyway, he sent me for tests and stuff and it turns out I have severe irritation to my esophagus and have damaged the esophagus sphincter muscle from alcohol abuse so it doesnt close properly. So now, especially when I lie down, stomach acid and crap like that flows back into my esophagus. My body in turn creates a huge amount of phlegm to counter the acid, leaving me with a permanent cough/throat sounds when I breathe. He says it will get better with time as I'm only 24, but if I carry on drinking I will be a high risk for throat cancer.

Just thought this might help someone who has the same symptoms. Seasonal allergies make this condition worse too.

Anyone else got this too?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dr. DopeMan.

(I just wanted to type Dr. DopeMan)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I did develop occasional wheezing and a nagging cough over the past couple years, much like what you described. It has cleared up whenever I stopped drinking. The doctor has never mentioned hearing anything abnormal but it was sporadic.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I had a lot of acid reflux when I quit, that's what liquor can do I'm afraid, but things cleared up with time!!