Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, all. I quit drinking last week, made it two days and then binged over the weekend. Weekends seem to be the hardest. Any advice? I've been drinking for 20 years and I'm just tired of wasting my money and life away. Those two days last week were the longest break I've had in years. I guess I'm really just here looking for support. I want sobriety so bad, but years of habits are hard to break.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

It is hard to break the habit of drinking, but don't let it overwhelm you. Don't drink today and get rid of any alcohol you have in your house. I found that changing daily routines and patterns helped a lot.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome
weekends are tough to navigate I think for everyone b/c we are so accustomed to drinking them away.
Plan - do you have one? things to keep you busy and your mind occupied? any sober friends to spend time with?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's rough at first, but it does get easier. I was a pretty bad drinker for the past 15 years, but then over the past few months I've made a few attempts to quit. I have slipped up a few times, but I'm back at it again. I think it does get easier.. and it's awesome as your sober days build up. Just have to get past the initial hump, right off the bat, and then it does get easier.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, cincinnati. Glad you found SR. Take it one day at a time - the sober days will build; be gentle on yourself.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cincinnati View Post
I guess I'm really just here looking for support.
You've come to the right place for sure, lots of good, understanding people here! Welcome!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Breaking habits all comes down to changing up our pattern of life, simply not drinking and sitting at home with my thoughts never created any longterm change.

You have to think about what do you want your life to be about when you get Sober? new activities? new projects? old interests renewed? New habits are needed to break the old ones.

You can do this and SR is full of support to help!!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Greetings!
This is a WONDERFUL site! You will find lots of honest advice and loving support. Keep coming back here and don't give up. So many here have amazing success stories
Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

I'm overwhelmed at the immediate support. Thanks, everyone. I know I feel great when I don't drink, but it's years of habit. I'm glad to have found all of you!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi cinci. We have a weekend thread every weekend to help us stay focused. Join in this thursday.