Notices

This broke my heart

Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

This broke my heart

On Sunday mornings I like to read the obituaries and have my morning coffee. I know it's weird but I know I'm not the only one who does it. It's not like I'm old and looking for friends who may have passed, I guess I just like to read about people's lives.

Anyhow... I came upon an obit of a 44 year old man. His family had the courage to put in the obit that his cause of death were his addictions. It went on to say that it was a miracle that he lived to the age of 44 because he had been fighting the addictions most of his life. It also went on to thank the professionals that tried to help him as well as his friends at meetings and also said that his family is cheering on all the people out there who are also fighting with addiction, etc.

I don't know... it just hit me in a way that made me just break down and cry for this person I never knew. I know of one man who died from his addiction to alcohol was he was 22 years old. I was 18 at the time and didn't really get what that meant. But what I read this morning really DID scare me. Scared the crap out of me. Something similar to his obituary could be mine. We're all so close to taking that drink again. Cunning, baffling, powerful.

I shared this with recovering friends this morning and many had seen the same obit. I feel a new resolve to never drink again. I think sometimes these things you come upon like I did this morning, come at the perfect time. I wasn't even thinking about drinking but today would be one of those days... Sundays have been like that... where I'd make that trip to the liquor store. Not today and with the help of my Higher Power, never again!

Peace and blessings to all my SR friends. I am grateful you are here for me.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, alcohol can be a serious business, reminders can be a good thing!!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
I am grateful you are here for me.
What a courageous family to write with honesty regarding the young man's life. He must have been loved. Glad you are here ElleDee

Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

ElleDee, very poignant reading, I feel that way when I read of people who have passed away here, but I haven't really known them though I've met so many great people since October .

Yes, it is a reminder to us how fragile and precious our lives us and for us important to remain sober.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post ED. It reminded me of someone dear lost just when I was starting my ascent back into sobriety this past May. Back in highschool he was one of the coolest, sweetest, best lookin' cats around.He was a rock musician and eventually that life got to him I guess. He had so much going for him. He got back on the straight and narrow a few years back. His life was looking beautiful. He had a family, new love and a growing, successful business. I thought he was doing so well. I was shocked beyond belief to hear he was found dead on the bathroom floor as result of a lethal cocaine-heroin overdose. I am saddened all over again repeating this....
Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
His family had the courage to put in the obit that his cause of death were his addictions. It went on to say that it was a miracle that he lived to the age of 44 because he had been fighting the addictions most of his life. It also went on to thank the professionals that tried to help him as well as his friends at meetings and also said that his family is cheering on all the people out there who are also fighting with addiction, etc.
I've seen similar obits in my local newspaper. The family acknowledged their child died fighting an addiction. Sadly, because of the growing opiate/heroin problem many of them were 20's and had overdosed. I believe the families hoped they could save a few lives by sharing the reason for the loss of their loved one.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

There but for the grace of God go I .

I never gave any thought to the people I hurt along with myself.
Harsh reality drugs and alcohol destroys us before it eventually kills us.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I for one am so grateful you are here. Thank you for sharing that.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Thanks everyone. I can't get that man's story out of my head today. I am thankful to his family for their honesty in his obituary. A friend of mine commented in contrast to that obituary are the ones that are a page long about the person's successes... company VP, philanthropist, etc. Then at the bottom of the obituary it reads... "Friend of Bill W." Just kinda points out how much success can be yours if you can remain sober.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very scary indeed. This could be any of us. I could not imagine leaving my children behind this way.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post. I have many friends who have passed away before their time from this disease, but the cause of death on the death certificate or in the obituary rarely mentions alcoholism or drug addiction. If this was dealt with honestly at this level we would have a lot more awareness of how big this problem really is.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

A girl I dated years ago - she was only 15 at the time - died of liver cirrhosis at 38. We remained friends, but I hadn't heard from her in years when a mutual friend of mine called me up to let me know. I knew she liked to drink, but didn't know it had become that much of a problem. I did know she was hospitalized one time for chugging an entire 5th of vodka. Once when I turned 21, she was still underage and called me up begging me to buy her a bottle of vodka. I refused. Supposedly she had a daughter. No one knows who the father is. Addiction is serious business. It's why we're all here. Sometimes we need a wake up call. Sometimes we need a lot of them
Old 07-20-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow. Thanks for posting. Makes me glad to not be an alcoholic anymore.