Notices

Sobriety paid off last night

Old 07-20-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety paid off last night

Well, I'm now onto day seven and am glad to say things are starting to look a bit brighter. Got a call last night out of the blue from a good friend I hadn't seen in a while asking for help. The details aren't important but she needed to be picked up and taken away from an unhealthy environment and didn't know who to call. Any other Saturday night and I'd have been far too drunk to have jumped in my van and helped out. It made me think about all the people I've previously let down and realise this sobriety thing isn't just about ourselves, it's about everyone we know and care about.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by owington View Post
It made me think about all the people I've previously let down and realise this sobriety thing isn't just about ourselves, it's about everyone we know and care about.
This is very true and good to remember. I just wrote a long about how I wanted to drink again and my life might be better with drink and how I feel. Very me me me. How selfish addiction is!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi owington, doesn't it feel good when we aren't blotto and can reach out to helpf our friends and family.

I was so self centred for years it was all about me when I was drinking. I'm pleased to say I'm not that woman anymore.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mags. Yeah, it really did feel great and still does. Not not only can I be proud of not drinking but can now see how utterly selfish I have been without realising, and that is enough to know I can never be that person again.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a cool story. I had a similar revelation too, being able to answer a midnight call for help.

Keep it going!
Old 07-20-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a great revelation. This thread is really interesting to me because it seems that a lot of addicts Ive known have narcissistic tendencies. I already knew I had had them really badly, years ago when I was taking amphetamine, but now that you mention it, alcohol seems to bring this out in me too too.

Is it because it leads to an exaggerated sense of self confidence and self importance that can border on arrogance? Is it the way the relation to the substance comes to seem more important than other people in our lives? Coupled with an overall loss of sensitivity to the effects of our actions.... A loss of empathy? I guess I'm trying to think about how and why addictions can lead otherwise kind and loving people to people become this way.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi and congratulations on being sober and helping someone else. For a long time I’ve got a big boos from saying or doing something and the person said thank you, you said something I needed to hear.

Recently someone with 18 years sober was talking about a serious situation with her family. After the meeting I approached her and asked if it were possible the pain she was having was a control issue. Her eyes lit up and said “why didn’t I think of that?” she feels much better now even tho the situation still exists.
Often times just being there is a big help.

BE WELL
Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clementina View Post

Is it because it leads to an exaggerated sense of self confidence and self importance that can border on arrogance? Is it the way the relation to the substance comes to seem more important than other people in our lives? Coupled with an overall loss of sensitivity to the effects of our actions.... A loss of empathy? I guess I'm trying to think about how and why addictions can lead otherwise kind and loving people to people become this way.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I can't really add anything to that. Thank you
Old 07-20-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clementina View Post
Is it the way the relation to the substance comes to seem more important than other people in our lives?
This hit it for me. This week I too realize how sobriety allows me to participate in life. I spent the day with my dad yesterday and I know I simply would not have if I was still drinking. My time with the bottle had precedence over everything.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great post, Owington. And, I agree totally. I think when we're in the clutches of addiction, we don't realize how every aspect of our lives and the people involved are negatively affected.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by owington View Post
Well, I'm now onto day seven and am glad to say things are starting to look a bit brighter. Got a call last night out of the blue from a good friend I hadn't seen in a while asking for help. The details aren't important but she needed to be picked up and taken away from an unhealthy environment and didn't know who to call. Any other Saturday night and I'd have been far too drunk to have jumped in my van and helped out. It made me think about all the people I've previously let down and realise this sobriety thing isn't just about ourselves, it's about everyone we know and care about.
Congratulations!!!! Wooohoooo day 7!!! Isnt is nice when you start to realize everything around you when your not drinking. I've been learning and noticing new things about myself everyday and its wonderful to actually feel my feelings. Even if they are the sad ones.
Attached Images
Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 7 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!