"Self-Care Saturday"... do something for YOU today!

Old 07-19-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Self-Care Saturday"... do something for YOU today!

Yesterday we talked about our gratitude lists & that was super inspiring.

So today I woke with my focus on ME - I've spent the last few weeks heavily involved with obligations & responsibilities & I've done OK with self-care but haven't really indulged myself much. So far my plans include:

* DIY manicure - I enjoy doing this at home & slowing down to really get creative with all my little accents.

* Making my favorite chicken-buffalo cheese dip for a little comfort food & agreeing to take the day OFF from over-thinking every little thing I eat today.

* Working on my & DD's fairy/dollhouse - we've been neglecting this project for a couple of months & I'm anxious to finish up the rehab!

* DD & I are doing an intro to Tai Chi class this afternoon

* DIY facial with my mango-honey-coconut oil moisturizing mask & a long, leisurely soak in Epsom Salts to soak up some extra magnesium.

* Dying my eyelashes

* Possibly ride to the beach tonight with one of my BFF's to just walk & talk in the salty sand. I'm not super-beachy but at night I totally fall in love with the cathartic feeling of the salt water washing over your feet & the sound of the waves crashing up & creating that quiet, almost meditative hum in the background. Not sure on this one yet as I haven't officially checked her plans for later.... but she's a total sucker for the beach so once I bring it up I'm committed to following through.

I hope you are each find SOMETHING wonderful to do for yourselves today - big or small, YOU DESERVE IT!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh this is wonderful! I can't do Saturday for various reasons, but Sunday is going to become Self-Care Sunday for me.

I plan to do an at-home manicure with my daughter. I think it is also going to be the one day I fix a fancier meal.

You dye your eyelashes? Do tell more!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really need to stay off my sprained ankle/foot, so I am gonna do some marathon watching of Netflix today. I'm not sure what but hopefully something funny.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love this idea! I realize I made the decision to do something that took me away from my home responsibilities last night and I almost felt guilty about it.

I came to my daughter's house to watch over her chicken and kittens for the night and part of today. As I was lying in bed I thought, "wouldn't it be nice to just go lay out on the back porch with the kittens and let them curl up next to me in the dark with all the crickets chirping in the woods?" Then I thought, why not??!! So I did it! I grabbed a pillow and blanket and made a little bed on the back porch. The kittens immediately curled up all around me and we listened to the rain pinging on the tin roof over the porch and the crickets singing in the woods. Dang!! What a simple and wonderful moment! I am going to allow myself MORE times like these! The dirt will always be in my house and there will always be something that needs to be painted....but how many chances do I get to curl up with 4 kittens on a porch and sleep?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bunny - yes, I use a paste-like dye that I bought online after having them done a few times in salons. I realized the process was little more than painting my lashes & by doing it myself it's actually affordable. It lasts about 3-4 weeks but keeps me from applying mascara all the time.

RB - Netflix is dangerous for me - I get hooked & find myself in marathons. RAH & I just finished all seasons of Lost, I watched all of Orange is the New Black & Don't Trust the B in Apt 23. I have re-watched the Desperate Housewives so many times it's embarrassing. If they ever start streaming Modern Family, my life will be complete, lol.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Patti - never feel guilty for cuddling with kittens!!! We just got rid of a litter & in those last few days before they were all re-homed I definitely took my share of cuddle time. We kept one & he is just 14-15 weeks now so he's still really little & fun!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Love your list, FireSprite. Love it.

I'm on a spend-fast this summer, so I have to be creative with my indulgences. Free or super-cheap is where it's at for me. I have a jetted tub that we almost never use. Always too busy for leisurely baths and I forget that we have it! It's tucked away in our very nice basement bathroom that only my DD uses. Might be time to fill it up.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep FireSprite.... love me some kitten cuddle time! Makes all feel right with the world.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Does shampooing the carpets count? Lol...
Old 07-19-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

DD6 is with separated AH so I am actually splurging and going to go get nails done. I normally do it myself. I want to read a few chapters in book I rented from library by Deepak Chopra. Then, I am going to buy a new outfit and go to an Alanon meeting! Woohoo!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am getting ready to head to my pool in the backyard. I blew up the spring floats and I intend to float around a bit. I already went to the gym and upped my cardio and that was something I did for me, LOL, despite how sore I am now.

I am also planning on returning a few things I made an impulse purchase on as I am working on financial responsibility and accountability right now and I know I'm not doing a great job.

I need to do my nails, too, but I'll probably do that tomorrow!

oh, and I'm baking banana bread just because I like it!
Old 07-19-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tai chi was cool, but probably not our thing right now. We actually misunderstood (everyone did really) that there was a 90-min Tai Chi workshop prior to the 60-min class as they were advertised separately, so we missed that portion. Doubt DD could've lasted through all of that anyway. We did decide it is possibly something that my mom would benefit from though, so we'll pass the info on.

We made some chocolate candy using coconut oil because I'm trying to find easy ways to get it into our diets. Waiting for that to chill so we can try it out.

Nails came out nicely, if I do say so myself.

We decided tomorrow night might be better for the beach so I'm thinking a good night's sleep on a Saturday never hurt anyone either, right?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I suck at self care. Getting myself to bed early tonight might be all I have time for today but it's honestly better than nothing and more beneficial than trying to stay up late and indulge in some other way.

Maybe I'll check out the fiction best sellers on iTunes and buy a new guilty pleasure read to fall asleep to. I haven't read any beach blanket books so far this summer.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Tai chi was cool, but probably not our thing right now. We actually misunderstood (everyone did really) that there was a 90-min Tai Chi workshop prior to the 60-min class as they were advertised separately, so we missed that portion. Doubt DD could've lasted through all of that anyway. We did decide it is possibly something that my mom would benefit from though, so we'll pass the info on.

We made some chocolate candy using coconut oil because I'm trying to find easy ways to get it into our diets. Waiting for that to chill so we can try it out.

Nails came out nicely, if I do say so myself.

We decided tomorrow night might be better for the beach so I'm thinking a good night's sleep on a Saturday never hurt anyone either, right?
I have an awesome recipe (no bake) for coconut bars pressed in a pan. It has peanut butter, coconut oil, coconut flakes, chocolate, and I also add chopped dried cherries or nuts. They hold up great in the fridge and make a nice treat. Everyone I have made them for, loves them. PM me if you want the recipe, unless you all want me to post it here.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I LIKE this idea, FireSprite!!! You're on a ROLL this week!!!

I've been out doing yard work most of the day, which in itself is therapeutic for me.
Right now, I'm sitting here with a German Bierstube-size glass of cranberry juice over ice with my hair whipped up in a towel with some PRODUCE (as the kids say) to treat my dry hair.
Husband is working, and as soon as he's done, we're heading out to get some chocolate.

Doing pretty good for a SCS without even trying too hard!
Old 07-19-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Saturdays is my usual self-care day, but XAH never showed up to pick up the kids so I had them all day today. We went to the grocery store and I let them each pick out one item (they both chose candy of course) and I did the same. Once they're in bed, I'll do some yoga off YouTube. I'm developing frozen shoulder and it's helping immensely.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Went to Yoga this morning and just got back from the bike shop after having new tubes put into my tires. If I can get the wheels back on, I will go for a spin. Later tonight, there will be live entertainment at the local wine bar featuring friends of my daughter.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am having an incredibly chill weekend. Spent the morning gaming on the computer. Then left for guy friend's parents house, to dog sit and grill burgers. Sat next to the pool reading for awhile then jumped in the pool. Went to get a haircut and its amazing. Not sure about the rest of the weekend but today has been perfect.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well this am I reunited with my running buddy. We did a long run and caught up.

When I got home, I walked the dogs with DS which is a good way to catch up with him.

Meditated a fair amount and did not fall asleep for once!
Old 07-19-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
I have an awesome recipe (no bake) for coconut bars pressed in a pan. It has peanut butter, coconut oil, coconut flakes, chocolate, and I also add chopped dried cherries or nuts. They hold up great in the fridge and make a nice treat. Everyone I have made them for, loves them. PM me if you want the recipe, unless you all want me to post it here.
Definitely, please share! I'm loving reading all the ways you all are taking time for yourselves this weekend, even, yes... When that simply means extra sleep/rest. That's actually really a big deal sometimes.