Notices

Treats

Old 07-18-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Treats

Usually, after work on a Friday evening (or any evening for that matter) I would want to reward myself for a long day by consuming at least one of the following and frequently all of them;
  • Cocaine
  • Diazepam
  • Cannabis
  • DHC

Right now I'm sat at my desk at work trying to decide what I can do/have/see etc to reward myself tonight, that doesn't involve drink/drugs.

What do you do/have/see as a little reward or treat for yourself?

Thanks in advance.

FC
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is there a certain food you like to eat? My BF sometimes treats himself to a nice steak when he wants a reward. Do you like to read or watch movies? Buy yourself a new piece of clothing, a massage, etc......

When I think of alcohol as a reward I try to remember that it's really a punishment I'm hoisting upon myself. Thinking it through to the next day and how I'll feel sick and guilty usually helps too.

BTW, I love your screen name. It cracks me up.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This might be really silly but : a cherry coke... I never drank them because of the empty calories but now that I don't drink I can have 1-2. Best part, no hangover.

Another thing I have seen is people buying themselves something with the money they would have spent on booze...
Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You'll get used to hearing this from me:

ICE CREAM!

Ask around. ICCC. Ice Cream Cures Cravings.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I will choose a good new book from my wishlist on Amazon (I'm an avid reader and love books) and after I've eaten (might get some ice cream on the way home!), I'm going to download it to Kindle, sit in the back garden and read quietly for a while.

Tomorrow, I might treat myself to a nice steak...
Old 07-18-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me its ice cream and tonnes of it. When I was training mma hard I would reward myself occasionally with 4-6 Haagen Dasz in 1 sitting, lol.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Oh my gosh FC, your Avatar is mesmerizing. Eeew. Scaaaary.

Well, I bought a new bronzer this week (and refilled mascara, exfoliator, cellulite lotion samples, FABulous primer sample, etc.) Cosmetics stores are like hardware stores...you go in to buy light bulbs and Wow, look! they sell blenders and coffee filters as well. Not sure if you are into makeup or hardware...but both stores are my favorites when I feel the need to peruse or consume.

Earlier this week I went to an independent bookstore that had an amazing Biography section. Wow! Again. I now have a running wish list (I'll spare you all the titles ). My Kindle went kaput after being dropped a few, 20 times and I have yet to replace it.

Watching Netflix is an enormous topic of conversation here. LOTS of recommendations to be had for this one. Last night I watched the NOVA documentary "When Sharks Attack". And also some short Indie films.

Wait. Were you looking for end of week rewards? Oops. This was a rewarding week all the way through for me

Happy Friday to you! Hop onto the Weekender thread. Enjoyable, sometimes hilarious and always interesting weekend experiences are shared there. This thread is a really nice treat that thankfully keeps coming back every weekend like clockwork:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-18-20-a.html

Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have found the show Cosmos to be pretty addicting and educational on the progress of astronomy. I used to watch as a kid with Carl Sagen and now I have returned again. Pretty fascinating stuff!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, what kind of interests do you have, or activities you enjoy? I usually like to feed these. Of course drug- and alcohol-free. I live in an environment where there is a lot to do, so finding something is never a problem.

Also, getting the things done that I was planning to do, meeting deadlines, standing up to my own standards are usually intrinsically rewarding for me and I don't need to treat myself with extra to feel good about myself. I think because I neglected these things a lot during my drinking and was continuously stuck in self-loathing for it.

This weekend, for example, I'm going to hook up with someone I met over 2 years ago in the philosophy classes that I attended. We had an awesome connection from the first day and met many times outside of class also, but after a while my wanting to drink alone competed this out. He kept emailing and calling for a good while, but finally gave up as I wasn't very responsive to his "normal" ideas about socializing. I've thought about him quite a bit lately and decided to contact him this week, was happy that he was happy to hear from me. So we'll hang out this weekend. I also would like to re-find the person who was the teacher of the same class, it seems like he's no longer teaching there, but another person I had fantastic intellectual chemistry with and very similar ideas and values about life - I think about him a lot these days because now that I'm sober, I relate to that world view even more intensely and he sort of embodied it for us while teaching it.

I also find physical activity quite fulfilling in general, often go for long runs in the evenings or very early mornings. Not really a gym person, but if I were, I think I would spend many evenings there.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've become a gym rat since I started to get sober! It's really good for you. I also play Star Trek Online and pick things out in the local alt weekly, like farmer markets and library programs, and go to them.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Books and desserts are something I'd go for. A 30 minute cardio session and a soak in the tub is great for getting your mood to lift a little. A tea or coffee with your book. A brisk walk. Anything you've had your eye on for a while? Sometimes I'll splurge and get something on my Amazon wishlist.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pedi and mani.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh! Another one is massage, 90 mins of total relaxation!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

I go exploring. In and out of the city. That old and trusted trio...people, places and things. It's quite uplifting who and what you can find -- and, God forbid, learn -- when you open yourself up.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A bubble bath then get in my cozy pjs curl up on the couch with some chips and watch tv , sounds like heaven.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by queenofheartz09 View Post
A bubble bath then get in my cozy pjs curl up on the couch with some chips and watch tv , sounds like heaven.
Typical male reaction but there is no way in hell I'm having a bubble bath unless I have a companion with me. In fact I cannot remember the last time I had a bath - shower all the way.

I 'll second the ice cream thing and TV/Netflix binge though.

Also FC, what is DHC? I've never heard of it and google offers no clues.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Typical male reaction but there is no way in hell I'm having a bubble bath unless I have a companion with me. In fact I cannot remember the last time I had a bath - shower all the way.

I 'll second the ice cream thing and TV/Netflix binge though.

Also FC, what is DHC? I've never heard of it and google offers no clues.
Where the Cluck is Fuster? I'm pretty sure he's a guy...

Taking, your post actually made me laugh out loud because of that! Some of the suggestions....but hey, why not? lol

It's dihydrocodeine - as you can probably tell a form of painkiller
Old 07-21-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone! I got through the weekend clean, which is great, but there were some really hard moments I can tell you! Hope you're all doing ok