Notices

Hi

Old 07-17-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Hello. I'm new here and a little nervous about posting. Today is day 1 of sobriety for me. I'll be seeing my doctor in about two weeks to get back on Revia and antidepressants/anxiety meds. I have sworn I'd quit so many times, but I am finally pissed off enough to REALLY do it. What has changed for me this time is that when my husband told me he'd lost all faith in me ever quitting, I realized he was wrong and that I hadn't lost faith in myself. I'm no longer talking about quitting, I have quit. I'm doing it, not wanting to do it. But...I could use some friends who understand when things get hard. I know that things will likely get worse, but I am done with this sad existence. Plus...my husband can NOT tell me what I will or will not do, and I'll stay sober just to be stubborn and prove him wrong!
Old 07-18-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blackjay

this is a great community - no need to be nervous...there's lots of support and understanding here
Old 07-18-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Blackjay,
Welcome. I can relate to many things you wrote in your post, especially swearing to myself and others that I would stop drinking without actually doing it. I swore to myself every morning that I was done....never again. That lasted til 5 pm rolled around and there I was at the liquor store buying more. There was always tomorrow, right? I finally stopped 21 days ago and I haven't looked back. We do get to a point where we actually want to be sober more than we want to drink. It takes some of us a long time but I think we all get there at some point if our health hasn't failed us yet.

I've been surprised how challenging it still is even though I don't want to drink. It is challenging but possible and it feels pretty darn good when I really think about it. I struggled to make it even one day, thousands of times. I joined this site in 2010 but in my heart I still wanted to drink....someday. Well, I had enough of those days and it sounds like you have as well. Sobriety feels much better than those nasty hangovers and the stress of keeping the stash always full. I have found this site to be a huge help to keep my in the moment when I'm feeling stressed or missing drinking. Welcome.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am almost of the belief that anger and indignation is a better motivator than shame and guilt. Anger has more energy. If it gets you on sober road...good enough. I do hope that in that sunlight of sobriety you will soon see how much you want it for yourself. It's better here. It takes a wee bit to realize...but it is.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both! You are right, I have definitely had enough. Even when I was drinking recently, I was sick of it and felt like I was only doing it because it's what I've always done. I'm ready to change, finally. I always thought it was a process to change, but it seems to have happened instantly. I just know I won't drink again. I can't convince anyone I know of that, but time will tell.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nuudawn, I surprised myself with how forcefully I felt that I was NOT hopeless after my husband told me he thought I was. I am also depressed and spend a lot of time thinking to myself that I am a lost cause and a failure, but now I know that I don't really believe that. I'm definitely using this anger to get me through, but I am doing for myself. I just didn't know until now that I believed in myself.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Blackjay!! It's great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome blackjay!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great decision, blackjay! Just make sure the motivation is founded on something that lasts, and is not simply an emotional momentum.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks! I have no doubt it will last. I am planning to talk to my doctor about inpatient rehab. I'm going to do it right this time.